Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

M54

I'm going to jokingly take offence to the M54 being grouped with another engine block family.

Joking aside, these blocks are substantially different. The N52 uses a bed-plate, versus main caps for the M54, and the cooling systems are radically different. The N52 is pretty much an open deck block, and the M54 is closed deck. N52 also uses "Valvetronic", which is an RPM limited air metering device designed to replace the use of TB. (TB is still used, but in only 100% open and 0% closed positions) Valvetronic works up to 6500 or so, but is unable to cope with valvetrain dynamics above that. Race versions of the N52 have the adjustment mechanism mechanically locked at full lift. (Servo removed)

As cool as the newer N52 is from a street car perspective, I don't see it as being a better block or head than the M54 from a racecar perspective.

I'm guessing people know which one I like to play with.....

Edit: Beat you to posting first Julio

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

They were grouped based on hierarchy.

Julio and I (I assume he is bluejeansonfire) were discussing this and there really is no way to group properly.

The M54 is a predominantly E46 chassis motor and grouping it with the S50/S52 and M50/M52 doesn't make sense as those are E36 and those are used interchangeably.

If you go by model hierarchy this makes sense. M54 and N52 go into the same class of cars. The only other solution is move M54 in with the M52 family and leave the N52 all alone to get no love at all. The poor N52...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Or....the N52 and N54 are grouped together because those are the engines found in the E90/E92 non-M, and the M54 stands on it's own as the E46 non-M engine.

Can we get a pedestal over here! This engine needs more exposure!!! And maybe some spotlights....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Or....the N52 and N54 are grouped together because those are the engines found in the E90/E92 non-M, and the M54 stands on it's own as the E46 non-M engine.

Can we get a pedestal over here! This engine needs more exposure!!! And maybe some spotlights....
    Click here to enlarge With all the N54 talk no one would ever even mention the N52, poor motor would just be lost.

I'll see if I can get you some spotlights.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

ok, i realize I'm late

This was my first statement to Sticky, this is a miscategorization by my estimates. The M54 shares a lot with the rest of its appropriately named brothers in the m5x family (also including the US s50/s52). I think it should be categorized with those as the cranks interchange, the front timing cover is also removable. the oil pumps are used from the newer engine in the older ones as upgrades. The head hardware is largely interchangeable, timing is similar, etc, etc.
    EDIT: intake and exhaust manifold also bolt-on directly even if they're not port-matched. The factory M54 exhaust manifold is port-matched to the cast-iron blocked M5x family, not to the M54. And though the M52tu is much more M54 than it is M52, due to the universe of shared parts between the two (m52 and m52tu), "technical update" isn't the biggest misnomer.
    And this is trying to avoid restating all the other points Adam made above.
    I think the N52 should be paired with the euro market N53 and the N55, the two other valvetronic motors.
    Granted there are some differences, but the basic architecture is similar across these and the N54.... the N54 shares more with the N55 with displacement and it steel cylinder liners (which is hope, not researched regurgitated fact, I can only hope that the N55 has the same dimensions as the N54 and shares its steel cylinder liners).... If the parenthesized hope is not so, then the N55 is the perfect pairing for the N52. Despite that the N52 will sink further into the depths of being fully ignored as the N55 can still theoretically achieve SR20det status, all aluminum no steel. And if the N55 is still more like the N54, it still has valvetronic and is thus a another e9x nonM family member that belongs with its valvetronic brothers.
    But in a forum called bimmerboost, with the exception of the long forgotten HPF 330i e90 one-off, does the N52 really have a place?... with the existence of the N54/N55?

Though I do understand why this grouping was originally made, and from a certain perspective it does make sense. But I think putting this engine either by itself or with the M5x family makes more sense.

Man, I really wish the N54 had an iteration without direct injection and the constant failure of high-pressure fuel pumps
    Oh, it's the M54 with a TT kit... and bonus: it comes with a closed deck and more turbo (same boost, more power)
    Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 05-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Well I mean the M54 essentially is alone here. Does it bug you guys to really have the N52 attached? I mean, where else can the N52 go?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well I mean the M54 essentially is alone here. Does it bug you guys to really have the N52 attached? I mean, where else can the N52 go?
    then what's the difference of having it here vs putting it together with its mechanically similar brothers (who happen to be titans of discussion)? The N55 sits by itself a valvetronic i6, it can have little bro too.

With a small modification of the name of the other nonm engine listed with the m54 here, I think it can stay:
    the "52" part, that's good
    that whole "n" thing, it isn't working for me. Let's give it a letter prefix more fitting of being paired with the m54, like "m"
    to make sure no one gets it confused with the m52 cast iron motor in the "old engine" family where the M5x and other older M engines are (s14 and s38), add a "tu" suffix
    perfect!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    then what's the difference of having it here vs putting it together with its mechanically similar brothers (who happen to be titans of discussion)? The N55 sits by itself a valvetronic i6, it can have little bro too.

With a small modification of the name of the other nonm engine listed with the m54 here, I think it can stay:
    the "52" part, that's good
    that whole "n" thing, it isn't working for me. Let's give it a letter prefix more fitting of being paired with the m54, like "m"
    to make sure no one gets it confused with the m52 cast iron motor in the "old engine" family where the M5x and other older M engines are (s14 and s38), add a "tu" suffix
    perfect!
    Well, the M54 will have to be moved I suppose to appease the masses (both of you Click here to enlarge) the only issue then becomes that the N52 is left alone to wallow in the sadness that it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I disagree, the N52 should get moved with the other "n" engines, and the M54 should get it's own forum.

Julio, you are a traitor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I disagree, the N52 should get moved with the other "n" engines, and the M54 should get it's own forum.

I was considering renaming the site M54 boost, thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

david deserves a place in here too, though lacking some 200cc, it is part of the m54 family nonetheless

if the n52 is moved, I think it would be appropriate to be with the n55 and n53. The n54 has a lot of the same architecture, but lacks the defining trait of valvetronic headaches

I was considering renaming the site M54 boost, thoughts?
    seconded!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    david deserves a place in here too, though lacking some 200cc, it is part of the m54 family nonetheless

if the n52 is moved, I think it would be appropriate to be with the n55 and n53. The n54 has a lot of the same architecture, but lacks the defining trait of valvetronic headaches

seconded!
    So the N54 section for the N52? Not the N55?

Would you guys post up details on your cars already? If you do, I'll move it in with the other M5X motors, we have a deal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Agreed Julio, we definitely don't want to leave out David....although I could ship him a crank. LOL

Sticky,

I think Julio has more to show at the moment.....his new manifold is really darn impressive. Post it up dude!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

IMO, the N52 engine family should be moved, as it's a completely different technology than the M54. Likewise, the M52TU (2.5L and 2.8L used in the E46 chassis, ie 1999-2000 6 cylinders) should be added to the M54 forum, as these two engine families are virtually identical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ugh, I will probably just add M54 in with the M50/M52 guys and the N52 can just be left to die I suppose.

Just no place to put that motor and it gets no love.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here's the central piece of the upgrade:

Click here to enlarge

I have honestly not doe that much recently. The manifold is on the motor and I've received the motor mount, it should be on later today. I'll update with more pics in the future, as new updates come. Wastegate flange coming very soon
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

^ What are your power goals?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^ What are your power goals?
    i'm shooting for the yield of a setup
    this is the setup, the head is fairly ported, the valves are inconel on the exhaust, standard ss on the intake and +1mm
    the cam setup isn't stock

Without guessing power numbers, I do plan to out-trap all stock-turbo n54 single FI
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

i'm shooting for the yield of a setup
    this is the setup, the head is fairly ported, the valves are inconel on the exhaust, standard ss on the intake and +1mm
    the cam setup isn't stock

Without guessing power numbers, I do plan to out-trap all stock-turbo n54 single FI
    So just over 125 mph?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

...yeah, somewhere in there, maybe a bit more
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Here's the central piece of the upgrade:

Click here to enlarge

I have honestly not doe that much recently. The manifold is on the motor and I've received the motor mount, it should be on later today. I'll update with more pics in the future, as new updates come. Wastegate flange coming very soon
    Wow, I bet that manifold was a breeze to design.......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Wow, I bet that manifold was a breeze to design.......
    props to Oleg and his turbo-garage 13 in teh Ukraine for the production of this, it's actually a pretty competitive price with Jon Volk and other tubular t4 setups/shipped.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ok guys, you convinced me.

N52 is going to be moved in with the N55.

You guys will either go to the S54 or M50/M52.

Might make sense to keep the E46's together, thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

The M54 guys are moving in with the M50/M52 guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

this is mos def more appropriate
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast