Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

looking to buy a e36 m3 and turbo it

i recently sold my 335xi and purchased a 2011 550. Unfortunately I'm still itching to have a car for the weekend and track. I think an e36 m3 would be a good project car to work on and was wondering what the best year and engine model would be to turbo? I'm looking to reach approximately 500-600whp in the end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Well I think you can do about 500 whp with a thicker headgasket on them. Don't quote me on that though.

How much are you looking to spend? The USA E36 M3's all have the same motor after '95.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not totally sure yet how much i want to spend, but I'm willing to drop whatever it'll take within reason. I know its a bit of a broad question, but how much do these builds typically take? Would I need to rebuild the engine and lower the compression in order to reach the 500 whp mark on pump gas safely?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blankstar43 Click here to enlarge
    I'm not totally sure yet how much i want to spend, but I'm willing to drop whatever it'll take within reason. I know its a bit of a broad question, but how much do these builds typically take? Would I need to rebuild the engine and lower the compression in order to reach the 500 whp mark on pump gas safely?
    To reach 500 whp on pump gas a compression drop is certain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blankstar43 Click here to enlarge
    What are you looking to spend there are kits out there 5-10k. You can get a turbo kit from the following companies Technica Motorsports, Trm, TT, or make ur own to have someone tune it like ROadkill tuning. 500whp is doable on pump gas with stock internals, but make sure its a healthy motor before trying that. IF you plan on tracking a car go for something like 400-450whp.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest getting a 325i, buying a crank from 328i, using M20B25 connecting rods, ARP studs for everything...

550whp can be had with a Holset HX40 turbo, with near to no lag @ around 1bar boost...

Impressive much ?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just a quick fyi -its better or easier to start off with an obd1 car, theres more tuning solutions if you want to keep the stock dme which is good enough to meet your goals. just keep that in mind, unless you live close to miami area and can get an obd2 tune by the man nick g himself.

if the goal is ~450whp than i would do just arps, .140 hg and call it a day. if your looking for something a little bit crazier like over 500whp area then built motor would be a better choice if you have an extra 5-6k dollhairs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sexy ass Dakar yellow e36m strolled its way into my lot yesterday. Guy said it was a 95' with 122k on the original engine. Belongs to his father that bought it off the first owner at 80k with the original breaks still on it. I told him to offer his dad 15k and he said it was his pride and joy. The black vader seats were mint!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Sexy ass Dakar yellow e36m strolled its way into my lot yesterday. Guy said it was a 95' with 122k on the original engine. Belongs to his father that bought it off the first owner at 80k with the original breaks still on it. I told him to offer his dad 15k and he said it was his pride and joy. The black vader seats were mint!

Click here to enlarge
    Thats alot of money to pay. For about 5k more you can buy a fully built motor m3. I can sell you mine for 20k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Thats alot of money to pay. For about 5k more you can buy a fully built motor m3. I can sell you mine for 20k.
    To be honest I know it was a high offer but I don't get to see great examples of mint e36 m3's around here very often. Still I think 10k would have been a great buy even though it books much lower. You should have seen this car man, it was like show room condition. You would have creamed.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

15k for a 122k mile 95.........ha......HAHA.

That is a 6,500 car. Mint or not. Original brakes? Eep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    15k for a 122k mile 95.........ha......HAHA.

That is a 6,500 car. Mint or not. Original brakes? Eep.
    Not sure how you see it as a 6500 dollar car is everything is in great shape. Usually 6500 dollar cars need about 2k to get them running decent suspension wise along with other odds and ends. If you think about it 122k miles in 16 years isn't bad at all. That being said its worth about 10-13k in great shape.