Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The exhaust on the 535 is not a true dual. Its a single pipe from the cats all the way to the back. I have just installed a magnaflow exhaust for the 535 and actually is a dual set up for the car and I can tell you the car runs so much better with a dual exhaust set up. I am loving my choice so far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RambleJ535 Click here to enlarge
    The exhaust on the 535 is not a true dual. Its a single pipe from the cats all the way to the back. I have just installed a magnaflow exhaust for the 535 and actually is a dual set up for the car and I can tell you the car runs so much better with a dual exhaust set up. I am loving my choice so far.
    I would of sworn I saw two pipes under the car that did join, briefly, into a solid box (possibly the cat), but I can't say for sure. Next time I am under there I will make sure to document it.

UPDATE - Installed two turbosmart DV valves in the car today. The install only took about 15 minutes and the boost certainly feels a little smoother, but more driving is needed before I can say whether there is a real world improvement. Before we get into the old argument of if it will provide more power - I'm not really expecting it, but running Cobb Stg 2+ did give me some cause for concern on the stock DV's leaking - so this is just a preventative measure.
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    I would of sworn I saw two pipes under the car that did join, briefly, into a solid box (possibly the cat), but I can't say for sure. Next time I am under there I will make sure to document it.

UPDATE - Installed two turbosmart DV valves in the car today. The install only took about 15 minutes and the boost certainly feels a little smoother, but more driving is needed before I can say whether there is a real world improvement. Before we get into the old argument of if it will provide more power - I'm not really expecting it, but running Cobb Stg 2+ did give me some cause for concern on the stock DV's leaking - so this is just a preventative measure.
    You are correct, there are two pipes from the downpipes, but they do join shortly after that and merge into one pipe. That is why I was searching for a true dual exhaust and did not want to settle with an axle back exhaust that seems to be the norm for the 535's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I finally got a chance to do a couple of 0-60 runs again last night. Slippage is starting to become a real issue when doing these, at least in 1st gear. I may have to start trying 2nd gear launches and see which is better. Anyway, here is a quick screenshot from the AP:

Click here to enlarge

Have no idea how this stacks up against other 335i's but I'm a little curious. I'm finally hitting the strip on 11/26 with a friend in a 335. He is running a JB3 and meth (but his meth is not working right now) so i'm really interested to see how we stack up against each other. Will post slips once we do that!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have no idea how this stacks up against other 335i's but I'm a little curious.
    Well you didn't exactly hook very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya, I need to figure out how to launch this thing without the wheel spin. If I brake boost it over 1.5k, I lose traction too quickly (interestingly enough, if your traction control kicks in, the cobb wont log your run). I'm getting wheel spin about 3500 rpm in first. Thinking about trying some 2nd gear launches tonight to see what happens to that 60' time. There is almost no data on good drag times for 535i's. argh.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--535i-Drag-Racing.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So 2nd gear launches it is! Still need to figure out how to improve on this a bit. Sticky, any idea what a good 60' time is for a 535?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky, any idea what a good 60' time is for a 535?
    You should be under 2.0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't been able to update this. I've got a few new mods in that is below and I finally got out to the track as well to see how the 5'er would do.

New Mods:

I've replaced the BMS DCI setup with an Injen polished intake. It looks awesome and since it's buried in the front corner of the engine bay, I should not have as much of a heat soak issue. Honestly, the thing just looks so much better but the performance is certainly there as well. One thing about the Injen dual intake, it's LOUD! My DV's sound like BOV's and you can really hear the turbo spool, moreso then with the DCI setup. I got it from Modbargains on their black friday prices - very glad I went this route!

I've already upgraded my DV's but I figured I was OK with the stock charge pipe. I'm glad I decided to cahnge it as I found one of the plastic tabs lodged in the stock charge pipe when I removed the DV's. Looks like it got broken during the DV install and came loose when I was taking them off. I went ahead and got two meth bungs on the charge pipe because, well who I am kidding, I'll probably do meth once spring comes around and, hopefully, Cobb has a race map out.

Here's a photo of both:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice, glad you like the injen intake and that you had a good experience with modbargains.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn that looks h0t as hell...Wow thats a nice setup!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Damn that looks h0t as hell...Wow thats a nice setup!
    Thanks! I'll get some better photos and post them soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wanted to update this with the latest. From my other thread, the next project was to get an exhaust for the 535i. As I've been hemorrhaging money on the mods, I really was trying to avoid dropping $2k on a catback system. I ended up getting the magnaflow system from modbargains. It's not the one they have listed here as it has no crossover pipes but the magnaflow PDF (linked) does work on the 535. The fitment was pretty darn close and I ended up doing the secondary cat delete and they custom bent about 18" of pipe from that.

So, onto the sound. I'll get video clips posted once I get a clamp replaced (that apparently wasn't properly installed when my DP's were done as it fell off) because there is a rattle from the pipes resting on the cross member. Anyway, the sound is much deeper but im getting some droning to deal with between 1200-2500 RPM. It sounds like a V8 on the exhaust and I get some gurgling on the deceleration (which is kind of cool). Overall i'm really happy and the car seems way more responsive now. This is not a surprise considering there was cats, a primary muffler, a single pipe after the primary muffler to the secondary (rear) muffler.

Ran another 0-60 and chopped .14 seconds off my time - running 0-60 in 4.2 now. Click here to enlarge Larger tires and meth is on its way then I probably done with maybe, maybe an m-tech front bumper.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Time to see what you do at the strip...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Definitely Sticky. These are the wheels (staggered) that I have coming in (I went with the gunmetal). 275's in the back should fix my traction issue. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely Sticky. These are the wheels (staggered) that I have coming in (I went with the gunmetal). 275's in the back should fix my traction issue. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Nice rims, great value.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok, the exhaust is installed and all buttoned up. I've got some (bad) videos that hopefully show the differences between the stock exhaust system (with the exhaust flap opened) and the aftermarket Magnaflow performance exhaust on my 2008 535i. To set the videos up, see above each one.

1st video - Idle noise from outside the car, stock exhaust with AR Design DP's (race cats) and stock exhaust system. The exhaust "flap" actuator has been wired open (you can't golf tee mod the 535i as the flap is on a spring loaded actuator that is closed when vacuum is not present.

2nd video - exhaust noise while driving with AR Design DP's (race cats) and stock exhaust system (plus some very bad narration). The exhaust "flap" actuator has been wired open.

3rd video - Idle noise from outside the car, magnaflow exhaust with AR Design DP's (race cats) and 2nd cats deleted.

4th video - Video from inside the car while driving. Both windows up and down while going mostly WOT. Magnaflow exhaust with AR Design DP's (race cats) and 2nd cats deleted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I also recently got new shoes for the ride. Again, it's a 2008 535i BMW (non-xi) and I went with the VMR 710 rims in gunmetal. I got a great deal from www.europeanautosource.com for both the rims and tires (no TPMS - I totally didn't think that thru) for a staggered setup. The front are 245/30/19's and the rears are 275/35/19's. Now the front rims are actually for an XI and they didnt have any non-xi rims available, but a spacer took care of that issue and the car looks great. EAS actually threw the spacers in for free because of the issue so I will definitely shop with them again!

I got the Kuhmo Escta SPT tires and they look fantastic! Coming from the stock 17's, the ride is definitely firmer and not nearly as "bouncy" as it was before. It wasn't bad (the wife liked it) but it definitely feels more connected to the road now. Below I've got shots of the wheels, tires, exhaust and under the hood. Up next is meth. Click here to enlarge Last thing will probably be a M-Tech front bumper and the xenon fog lights.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice job man! The new exhaust sounds great and the wheels look awesome. Thanks for sharing upgrade knowledge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also recently got new shoes for the ride. Again, it's a 2008 535i BMW (non-xi) and I went with the VMR 710 rims in gunmetal. I got a great deal from www.europeanautosource.com for both the rims and tires (no TPMS - I totally didn't think that thru) for a staggered setup. The front are 245/30/19's and the rears are 275/35/19's. Now the front rims are actually for an XI and they didnt have any non-xi rims available, but a spacer took care of that issue and the car looks great. EAS actually threw the spacers in for free because of the issue so I will definitely shop with them again!

I got the Kuhmo Escta SPT tires and they look fantastic! Coming from the stock 17's, the ride is definitely firmer and not nearly as "bouncy" as it was before. It wasn't bad (the wife liked it) but it definitely feels more connected to the road now. Below I've got shots of the wheels, tires, exhaust and under the hood. Up next is meth. Click here to enlarge Last thing will probably be a M-Tech front bumper and the xenon fog lights.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Nice shots and update!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    METH!!!!!

Ok, feel free to go back to the beginning where I said I didn't want to install a meth kit, then laugh at me while pointing fingers. The reason, well, I installed meth. Click here to enlarge

I don't have any pictures from the install as I was busy working with the mechanic on the install as I couldn't find ANY 535i's with meth installed. I went with the BMS WW meth kit and used a "hobbs" switch that is, in essence, an electromechanical device which activated the meth pump once boost reaches a certain level (adjustable). It's a very straight forward setup and important to note that with a COBB, I don't get any increased boost levels or power, it just lowers my IAT's and ups the octane.

So the nuts and bolts of the install.

The first challenge was where to mount the pump. I have an inject intake that places the filters in the open area in front of the power steering reservoir, so mounting it to that bracket was out of the question. What the mechanic ended up doing was pulling the bumper and drilling two mounting holes on the metal firewall (?) on the radiator side then bolting the pump right to it (just to the right of the WW filler neck). In this position, we could set it below the intake filters and, bonus, it's pretty well hidden from view.

We tapped the WW wiper line up near the shock mount. Any lower and you'll bypass the vent tube and,in sort, hydrolock the whole system so you cannot pour meth in (air can't escape so the meth won't fill) - don't ask how we found this out. The check valve was also placed in line so I don't suck in air from the WW sprayers (which still work).

The hobbs switch had a custom bracket made and mounted to the power steering bracket in an orientation where I can dial up, or down, the amount of boost needed to trigger the switch.

Other then that is was a matter of running the tubing and connecting everything up.

I have an ER charge pipe with dual meth bungs. I am only using the CM10 nozzle right now but the IAT's have never looked better. The charge pipe is chrome and when I was first testing the system out, the damn thing got so cold it had frozen water droplets on the outside of it.

Again, this is a manual system that is more of a safety precaution then an added HP option, but when Cobb drops their race map, I can run 109 octane with meth and have a very nice run on that map. I am using boost juice 50/50 meth/water mix as I do want to have functional sprayers and would rather not have to repaint my car in a few years.

I'll get pictures up hopefully this weekend of the whole install. The install took about 4 hours but that was because of unforseen issues. It really should of been a 2 hour job. If anyone local to me wants to get it done (Raleigh), I highly recommend calling Import Motor Werks (www.imwnc.com). Not only did they honor the quote (even though we went long), they buttoned up a few items the next day at no charge as well. Cannot say enough good things about those guys!

Next up - M-tech bumper, xenon fogs and spoilers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, feel free to go back to the beginning where I said I didn't want to install a meth kit, then laugh at me while pointing fingers. The reason, well, I installed meth
    It happens man Click here to enlarge It just takes time to get used to the idea but now that you have it time to get more aggressive with your tune...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I've been pretty busy but I finally got a chance to grab some photos and writeup a final modification list. It's been one hell of a lotta fun modifying this car and, if I have to say so, it's pretty badass for a 4 door baby carrier. Heading back out to the track in March to see how it does on the strip.

M5Tech Front Bumper - Umnitza
    Canbus xenon fog bulbs
    M5 fog light housings
    M5Tech Brake Ducts (in shipping)
    CP-E FMIC
    Cobb Tuner (stg 2+)
    BMW WW Meth kit
    Injen Intake
    Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe (2 meth bungs)
    Turbosmart Diverter Valves
    BMS Oil Catch Can
    VMR 710 19" rims in gunmetal - 245 front, 275 rear (8.5 & 9.5 staggered)
    AR Design downpipes (with race cats)
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    secondary cat delete
    primary muffler delete
    Lux h8 Angel Eye bulbs
    clear LED side markers
    Space Gray Metallic overlays

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's been a while since I updated this thread. I've been pretty busy but I finally got a chance to grab some photos and writeup a final modification list. It's been one hell of a lotta fun modifying this car and, if I have to say so, it's pretty badass for a 4 door baby carrier. Heading back out to the track in March to see how it does on the strip.

M5Tech Front Bumper - Umnitza
    Canbus xenon fog bulbs
    M5 fog light housings
    M5Tech Brake Ducts (in shipping)
    CP-E FMIC
    Cobb Tuner (stg 2+)
    BMW WW Meth kit
    Injen Intake
    Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe (2 meth bungs)
    Turbosmart Diverter Valves
    BMS Oil Catch Can
    VMR 710 19" rims in gunmetal - 245 front, 275 rear (8.5 & 9.5 staggered)
    AR Design downpipes (with race cats)
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    secondary cat delete
    primary muffler delete
    Lux h8 Angel Eye bulbs
    clear LED side markers
    Space Gray Metallic overlays

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1950-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1948-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1946-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1945-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1941-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1940-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo..._DSC1938-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...IMG_0071-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...IMG_0072-1.jpg
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...IMG_0073-1.jpg
    It's a very nice set of mods. Car looks classy and I bet you are enjoying it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My car is half way there..... I still need to get DP, Meth and FMIC. Your car looks great man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast