Close

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Good Price on BMS DIY intake or BMS filter replacement

Tired of bent up ugly looking bms cones?
    www.sbfilters.com
    Here is what you need
    Universal Filter (Cleanable, 8-ply Cotton, Red Oil): Flange ID 2.25, Top OD 5.25, Element Height 5, Top Style: powerstack, Red Oil

Theres your BMS dci for half the price plus whatever autozone/home depot charges you for pos cheap pipe. If you havn't noticed, these are the filters that come with the BMS kit. If anyone is intrested I can go measure black pipes and run to home depot and get something exactly the same, it doesnt even have to be metal, it could be plastic.

direct link to filter
    http://www.sbfilters.com/s.nl/it.A/id.219/.f
    obviously buy 2
    You can also change the color to blue and make the top rings different colors if you are tired of red. Beats paying 100 dollars for replacement filters. Price comes out to be 66.xx shipped for both.
    bms charges 155 shipped from bms, Mike is probably 10 or so bucks cheaper. I believe just filters people are quoted 100 bucks shipped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Getting back at him huh? Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Getting back him huh? Click here to enlarge
    no Click here to enlarge, just posting reality like usual. But that leads to me getting banned when vendors don't agree with the truth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    no Click here to enlarge, just posting reality like usual. But that leads to me getting banned when vendors don't agree with the truth.
    Yep, tell me about it, just had a vendor $#@! fight over there.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Autozone works, just make sure to get the 2.5 to 3.5" couplers and you should be set.

To each his own though, BMS gives it to you in a nice package, for those that want it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DIY is a good route if you want to save a few dollars. Just be aware their website doesn't properly quote shipping so don't be surprised when you get billed $8-13 for it depending on your location via ground. We charge $80 shipped for two replacement filters using USPS 2-3 day service and that price was based around staying competitive with other dealers on the same filters. Many eBay dealers carry them for example. If anyone needs a set just email us.

Our DCI package is $100 with a JB3 purchase or $139 separately and includes nice aluminum anodized couplers. It's a reasonable price and includes support, a guide, etc, should you need it. If you don't mind living with muffler piping and spending some time you can easily save $50 doing your own intake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say a reasonable price, but I think the OP was just pointing out a DIY for anyone that chooses to go another route.

$140 isn't much for intakes anyways, that's about the going rate unless you're willing to spend 300+ on aFe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You may have forgotten but the $139 BMS DCI was our answer to the $195 Vishnu DCI using the same S&B filters. It's a nice product for a small premium but don't think you're the first to go off and make your own DCI. I'd say half of the community does.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Autozone works, just make sure to get the 2.5 to 3.5" couplers and you should be set.
    That won't work for the direct link i posted, however you can change to hole diameter to whatever you want. This will work with the straight pipes that bms provides with the kit. Like i said that link is for direct replacments of the bms cones. Meaning if you bought the intake already, you can buy those filters and it will work. If you want to make you own, buy to worm clamps, and get some pipe from autozone, home depot, muffler shop, whatever floats your boat. IF you want to do it even cheaper, just buy 2.5 holes and simply clamp them over the stock inlets lol. bms intake for 66 dollars.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You may have forgotten but the $139 BMS DCI was our answer to the $195 Vishnu DCI using the same S&B filters. It's a nice product for a small premium but don't think you're the first to go off and make your own DCI. I'd say half of the community does.
    That makes him a bigger scammer than you than lol. You keep on thinking I give a $#@! about vishnu or shiv, I don't. I am not making myu own, I am simply telling the community they can get your exact intake for half the price. And for that matter, turn the filters blue and they can get shivs exact intake for 1/3 of the price. Happy?Click here to enlarge

I never saw a vishnu intake, if infact its the same filters, then $#@! him too for charging 200 dollars for thatClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That makes him a bigger scammer than you than lol. You keep on thinking I give a $#@! about vishnu or shiv, I don't. I am not making own, I am simply telling the community they can get your exact intake for half the price. And for that matter, turn the filters blue and they can get shivs exact intake for 1/3 of the price. Happy?Click here to enlarge

I never saw a vishnu intake, if infact its the same filters, then $#@! him too for charging 200 dollars for thatClick here to enlarge
    The problem with the DCIs is always the couplers. We used to sell the couplers ala-cart for $35 but stopped because we were doing all the support and not making enough to make it worth our time.

If you want to make the same DCI you're going to pay around $70-$75 shipped for the filters. Then you need to buy aluminum pipe on eBay for say $18 shipped for 12". Then you need to cut and deburr it. Then you need to get it anodized which has a $70 job minimum at most places. So you're going to be in $160+ and have to do all the work.

If you can live with aluminized steel piping which is a pita to debur, heats up like crazy, and looks worse, then 12" of that will cost you $8 at your local pep boys. Just don't make the mistake of spray painting it and having it flake off and turn in to a gooey mess in the engine bay. But if you're smart enough not to paint it you'll have a nice slightly uglier intake for $80 with some work.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem with the DCIs is always the couplers. We used to sell the couplers ala-cart for $35 but stopped because we were doing all the support and not making enough to make it worth our time.

If you want to make the same DCI you're going to pay around $70-$75 shipped for the filters. Then you need to buy aluminum pipe on eBay for say $18 shipped for 12". Then you need to cut and deburr it. Then you need to get it anodized which has a $70 job minimum at most places. So you're going to be in $160+ and have to do all the work.

If you can live with aluminized steel piping which is a pita to debur, heats up like crazy, and looks worse, then 12" of that will cost you $8 at your local pep boys. Just don't make the mistake of spray painting it and having it flake off and turn in to a gooey mess in the engine bay. But if you're smart enough not to paint it you'll have a nice slightly uglier intake for $80 with some work.
    I just told you the filters were 66 dollar shipped.
    Mike just said you now (funny) charge 80 dollars shipped for the filters. 155 new, 80 for filters, those two worm clamps and shiny black couplers cost 75 dollars? phew, might I suggest a new pipe shop?
    This is not even mentioning the vendor discount you get as you obviously buy in bulk. Please, you're wasting your time, at the end of the day, if members want filters for cheaper, here it is.

btw ever heard of hi temp paint?Click here to enlarge

and for the record incase you are wondering, i bought two of these from you already, you think ill buy another one once i found this out?
    Last edited by Laloosh; 05-06-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just told you the filters were 66 dollar shipped.
    Mike just said you now (funny) charge 80 dollars shipped for the filters. 155 new, 80 for filters, those two worm clamps and shiny black couplers cost 75 dollars? phew, might I suggest a new pipe shop?
    This is not even mentioning the vendor discount you get as you obviously buy in bulk. Please, you're wasting your time, at the end of the day, if members want filters for cheaper, here it is.

btw ever heard of hi temp paint?Click here to enlarge
    It's just a matter of what someones time is worth. For less than we charge we don't want the business and its easy for someone who wants to make their own with worse couplers. We've never stated otherwise and in fact even ship in the same S&B boxes so its never been a secret what the filters retail for.

I'm surprised S&B charged you $2.66 to ship two filters, around 3.5 pounds, from California to Jersey though. They charge us more than that per filter to ship from Torrence to Woodland hills (50 miles).

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    type int he zip and try it yourself, i belive shipping was 3.xx 07403

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    type int he zip and try it yourself, i belive shipping was 3.xx 07403
    As I mentioned you'll get billed a higher rate eventually, that is just their poorly programmed estimator. Not that it really matters. They go for around $70-79 shipped from S&B and 100s of dealers all over the place depending on how far away you are from the dealer. We charge $80 with USPS shipping. We used to charge $85 but someone complained so we lowered it. We've never charged more for replacement filters unless you're including international shipping which can be quite high. To parts of Europe shipping alone is $60.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As I mentioned you'll get billed a higher rate eventually, that is just their poorly programmed estimator. Not that it really matters. They go for around $70-79 shipped from S&B and 100s of dealers all over the place depending on how far away you are from the dealer. We charge $80 with USPS shipping. We used to charge $85 but someone complained so we lowered it. We've never charged more for replacement filters unless you're including international shipping which can be quite high. To parts of Europe shipping alone is $60.
    I guess random members on e90 are making up prices then. 80 bucks makes your 75 dollar coupler sounds worse. 100 bucks makes your filters sound over priced and your couplers expensive. Pick you poison?
    And actually jpslick just bought a different filter, ones without the cone power thing, paid 55 dollars for both shipped, shipping was 3-4 bucks and that was he got billed. Anothe rmemeber on e90 just bought the same thing without the power cones and so far the total came out to be 54.xx, if thats what he agreed to and paid via paypal, then they can't randomly change the shipping later on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess random members on e90 are making up prices then. 80 bucks makes your 75 dollar coupler sounds worse. 100 bucks makes your filters sound over priced and your couplers expensive. Pick you poison?
    And actually jpslick just bought a different filter, ones without the cone power thing, paid 55 dollars for both, shipping was 3-4 bucks and that was he got billed.
    We charge a premium for the couplers as that is where the time and hassle is. A lot of our customers DIY their intakes and we have absolutely no problem with it. Truth be told even at our "exorbitant" rates for the DCI it's often more trouble than its worth for us. Especially at $100 with the couplers.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that my problem because? Can you please exit my thread, I don't feel like arguing with a vendor who feels threatened. thx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And that my problem because? Can you please exit my thread, I don't feel like arguing with a vendor who feels threatened. thx
    No argument here. Just explaining why we charge what we do. And encouraging anyone who thinks its too much or wants to save money to follow your lead.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge many have