Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Just picked up a 95 alpine white M3 100k miles.... euro swap and turbo set up time

which engine is better for F/I the 3.0 euro motor or 3.2l?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    3.0 has more room for error... but i beleive both are excellent :!:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What kind of error do you mean?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    S50B32 is the better one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    neither, seriously
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ yep. I believe the car has S52, that's a better engine to be FI'ed i believe. am i correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    ^ yep. I believe the car has S52, that's a better engine to be FI'ed i believe. am i correct?
    95 is a an s50, which is in some ways even better. It has a smaller bore, which seals head gasket a bit better and a crankshaft with fewer complications.... and it's obd1. The M5x engine is a soooo cake to work on, I would not go to the s54's retarded younger brother. Aside from easy tuning, much more torque and regionally available parts, there's no engine and wiring swap necessary. OP, you bought the right car, you have the wrong idea- easy adjustment Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    stay with the current motor you have, build it, boost the crap out of it/ discussion. euro motors are so expensive to build because the parts are harder to come by. the performance market for your current motor is flooded with parts. eagle rods, cp pistons, o-ringed, stock head gasket, steedspeed manifold and your choice of turbo= winning. what are your power goals?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hellrot98m3 Click here to enlarge
    stay with the current motor you have, build it, boost the crap out of it/ discussion. euro motors are so expensive to build because the parts are harder to come by. the performance market for your current motor is flooded with parts. eagle rods, cp pistons, o-ringed, stock head gasket, steedspeed manifold and your choice of turbo= winning. what are your power goals?
    Exactly, this is the best advice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have some parts from my topmount setup forsale if you are interested for a 95 S50 Click here to enlarge

Trapped over 127 on 12psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge

whichever one allows you to stick the turbo out the hood. i know how much you like that look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris @ ardesign Click here to enlarge
    Trapped over 127 on 12psi
    that does not sound like a manageable turbo size
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thought they were running a gt3586 in that car? and i thought it was more like 18psi on those passes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

rods and pistons aren't the big deal difference here. CP, Wiesco, JE, Mahle dont have different prices for BMW pistons. And there are enough rod options that it doesn't make the world of difference everything else does.
    i know a lot of people believe in o-ringing that paper gasket, but I'm so not into it. steedspeed often requires custom drain, etc. These are generic not bad ideas, but they're not a formula for everyone. But your point that parts are readily available isn't moot. The fact is that the m5x platform has many motor mount options, manifold options from Otis to 666 fab to MaxPSI, TT, AA, SPA, OBX, steedspeed, godspeed, treadstone, garage 13, boost logic... off the top of my head. And then, motor mounts... unless you're making your own custom part, I recommend using a premade one that's produced for $150, of which there are plenty of options. If going Euro motor, the manifold would likely need to be custom, the mount would likely also need to be custom.
    But this still isn't everything. The obd1 dme that is already in that car can get it to 600whp on that engine platform, and tuning is available from many different tuners at reasonable prices. If going euro motor, it would probably need more computer to tune it, which would in most instances require loads of wiring work.
    With far less work and money, this platform is already there and perfectly capable of being a turbo beast with much more torque.

The single most plausible reason to go euro motor is torque hate. And it'll be a hella pile of cash to hate on torque.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thought they were running a gt3586 in that car? and i thought it was more like 18psi on those passes?
    that's really impressive, though makes sense.

But to make 127@12 requires a lot more turbo...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    rods and pistons aren't the big deal difference here. CP, Wiesco, JE, Mahle dont have different prices for BMW pistons. And there are enough rod options that it doesn't make the world of difference everything else does.
    i know a lot of people believe in o-ringing that paper gasket, but I'm so not into it. steedspeed often requires custom drain, etc. These are generic not bad ideas, but they're not a formula for everyone. But your point that parts are readily available isn't moot. The fact is that the m5x platform has many motor mount options, manifold options from Otis to 666 fab to MaxPSI, TT, AA, SPA, OBX, steedspeed, godspeed, treadstone, garage 13, boost logic... off the top of my head. And then, motor mounts... unless you're making your own custom part, I recommend using a premade one that's produced for $150, of which there are plenty of options. If going Euro motor, the manifold would likely need to be custom, the mount would likely also need to be custom.
    But this still isn't everything. The obd1 dme that is already in that car can get it to 600whp on that engine platform, and tuning is available from many different tuners at reasonable prices. If going euro motor, it would probably need more computer to tune it, which would in most instances require loads of wiring work.
    With far less work and money, this platform is already there and perfectly capable of being a turbo beast with much more torque.

The single most plausible reason to go euro motor is torque hate. And it'll be a hella pile of cash to hate on torque.
    So you are saying that a US S50B30 makes more torque as a Euro S50B30 with a turbo?
    Can you show me the difference with a dyno sheet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Finally the OP my but his money where his mouth with all the bad mouthing he has been doing against current record holders. This will be good to see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    that does not sound like a manageable turbo size
    I had a 62mm. Only like 1mm bigger than GT35R. Made full spool at 3900RPM at 6,000 ft elevation

Nope, not a Garrett. It was actually a really trick Borg Warner. The most I ever ran on the car was 12psi, still trapped 127 with a D/A of over 8200FT

that's really impressive, though makes sense.

But to make 127@12 requires a lot more turbo...
    Read above, only a GT35 sized turbo

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Finally the OP my but his money where his mouth with all the bad mouthing he has been doing against current record holders. This will be good to see.
    Yes... Yes it will Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Nice looking M! Is that your sisters MB?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Nice looking M! Is that your sisters MB?
    Ay ay ay ay, Kalak to az koja midooni? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by daytonaM3 Click here to enlarge
    So you are saying that a US S50B30 makes more torque as a Euro S50B30 with a turbo?
    Can you show me the difference with a dyno sheet?
    The best exampleof a fair comparison is the HPF stage 2.5 vs Cam's t67 3L

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

When each engine is flowing the same amount of fuel, to make the same power, ~18psi in Cam's car with no meth, so less timing and ~16psi on the HPF stage 2.5. While both cars are making ~550whp, the hydraulic-lifter, single vanos car is making 50wtq more.

This is not a perfect apples to apple comparison. Cameron's car has a more intense manifold than HPF. The S54 is not an s50b32, but almost. The turbine housing sizing isn't identical. The s54 revs higher, but I like the power curves from Cam's car better. Also, to really better compare to a 3.2L, the s52 should be compared, and it is capable of slightly better albeit somewhat less reliable power.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris @ ardesign Click here to enlarge
    I had a 62mm. Only like 1mm bigger than GT35R. Made full spool at 3900RPM at 6,000 ft elevation
    Nope, not a Garrett. It was actually a really trick Borg Warner. The most I ever ran on the car was 12psi, still trapped 127 with a D/A of over 8200FT
    That's got to be some kind of record. 15psi usually doesn't get sc61, 6262 and 35r past 120mph.... but that's a mighty late spool for a 62, big turbine housing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's got to be some kind of record. 15psi usually doesn't get sc61, 6262 and 35r past 120mph.... but that's a mighty late spool for a 62, big turbine housing?
    Meh, up at this altitude, a TRM Stg2 won't spool until 4400-4600RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Race fuel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Race fuel?
    Me? Yeah I was on race gas but a basemap pump gas tune so that gives you hardly any power increase, maybe like 10whp at best. I only ran it to prevent detonation on stock compression

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Me? Yeah I was on race gas but a basemap pump gas tune so that gives you hardly any power increase, maybe like 10whp at best. I only ran it to prevent detonation on stock compression
    Yea I hear ya its always better to have alittle better fueling when hitting up the track.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast