Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ABS, DSC Brake lights and 5D90????

Having issues with my ABS, DSC and Brake lights illuminating in yellow after emoving the lowering springs. Ran the BT and came up with an array of codes pertaining to the DSC:

5D93
    5DE1
    5DE0
    5D96
    5D90

I cleared all the codes but 5D90 keeps coming back and the lights won't go away. The flash out momentarily upon clearing but come right back.

I tried resetting the steering angle sensor, checked all the wheel speed sensors, got an alignment, checked the related fuses but still can't figure it out. Can anybody help me?
    07 e92 335i Best run: 11.83@ 120.04 w/ 1.84 60' & 2127 DA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    my first guess would be a wheel speed sensor but you already stated you checked it. your lights look like this?:Click here to enlarge

when all three came up for me it was my abs pump that was faulty. you can check that by unplugging the harness and seeing if additional codes throw (easy to do, opposite of your ecu box). and if not you know that is probably the source. hope this is your remedy, i hate driving around with traction off all the time, let alone the abs not functioning, its a disaster waiting to happen under speed, so drive like a grandma until its fixed is my opinion.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Paul Oakenfold has returned...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    my first guess would be a wheel speed sensor but you already stated you checked it. your lights look like this?:http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0044-1.jpg

when all three came up for me it was my abs pump that was faulty. you can check that by unplugging the harness and seeing if additional codes throw (easy to do, opposite of your ecu box). and if not you know that is probably the source. hope this is your remedy, i hate driving around with traction off all the time, let alone the abs not functioning, its a disaster waiting to happen under speed, so drive like a grandma until its fixed is my opinion.
    That is indeed what my car looks like right now and others have suggested that it my abs pump too. When you say it is opposite of the ecu box, do you mean the other side of the engine bay next to the master cylinder? If my pump is bad then i assume i need to get it replaced, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Paul Oakenfold has returned...
    ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unplugged the abs/dsc mudulator and only other light/code I got was for the airbags. Tried to clear it with the harness disconnected but it just kept coming back. Plugged the harness back in and cleared the airbag code/light but was still unable to clear the 5D90 code. Only other one that was there was the 5D96 again. I drove it around for a bit too after clearing all the codes earlier today. I looked at http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php fin hopes that I could get the modulator rebuilt for cheap but, of course, I have one of the four that is unrebuildable accrding to them. I did find a couple threads saying that there is a rebuild kit from BMW for the modulator but I was unable to locate it. I'm confident I can do the work of replacing the pump and/or the modulator myself if need be but I don't want to spend the near $1k before I'm positive that's the problem

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yup, glad you understood what i meant, and be sure to remind them of the TSB, otherwise they may try to scam you for the full price. i've always found it hard to remote diagnose but you are doing a good job explaining how you went about testing. it's interesting you got an airbag code, when my testing was done it didn't throw this code (when unplugged), or i didn't see it on the laptop display. but we couldn't shake an 'abs pump faulty' code (don't remember the hex alphanumeric) until we actually changed the pump to a new one (didn't need to change the harness as it was not the issue). so, i have a harness that is uncoded (to a VIN) if that is your issue and not your pump (the TSB gives you both for the price of one) but it seems as though the harness is not causing the problems from what you explain from your testing. good luck with getting this little bug sorted out. let me know if you have any questions.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yup, glad you understood what i meant, and be sure to remind them of the TSB, otherwise they may try to scam you for the full price. i've always found it hard to remote diagnose but you are doing a good job explaining how you went about testing. it's interesting you got an airbag code, when my testing was done it didn't throw this code (when unplugged), or i didn't see it on the laptop display. but we couldn't shake an 'abs pump faulty' code (don't remember the hex alphanumeric) until we actually changed the pump to a new one (didn't need to change the harness as it was not the issue). so, i have a harness that is uncoded (to a VIN) if that is your issue and not your pump (the TSB gives you both for the price of one) but it seems as though the harness is not causing the problems from what you explain from your testing. good luck with getting this little bug sorted out. let me know if you have any questions.
    Pardon my ignorance, what is 'TSB'? When you say 'harness', do you mean the actual modulator/control module(black box) or do you mean the actuall electonics that plug into that box and connect to the rest of the car?

I'm thinking that it's either my pump or the modulator at this point but I want to figure out which one first before I pay for anything so as to limit my costs.

Also, my codes don't say anything about 'pump'. They all are related to valves, solenoids, control units and relays. Sound the same as yours?

Thanks for the help man. If I could +rep you again I would.
    Last edited by Trevor008; 10-10-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    TSB is short for Technical Service Bulletin. It is what car manufacturers post out to inform the dealerships and in turn, customers that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. sometimes the problem is frequent enough to initiate a recall, which i'm sure you know what that means. in this case, the TSB says the problem is not common so BMWNA is skimping on the fees, however they bundle together the harness and pump so you (the customer) don't get screwed. when i say harness i mean the what you plug the abs pump into, the harness is what communicates with the dme (afaik... there maybe a middle man).

no doubt you should figure out exactly what the issue is. but if it truly is the harness and your pump is working fine (which it sounds like as you are not getting the abs pump faulty code) then i think we can be in business, but i wouldn't want you to pay me for something that doesn't fix the issue. so no, the issue does not sound the same as mine, but it could be a good thing, it could be your pump is fine and the harness needs to be changed. in which case i have one i can send you. but please make sure this is your issue, from what i re-read it may not be the case, because when you unplugged it all that came up was an airbag code, and it disappeared when you plugged it back in. we can continue in PM if you'd like. although keeping it public benefits the community with information they may use at a later date themselves. appreciate the kind words and rep, glad to be of assistance.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think I may be making headway.....

I did some more research on the parts involved with the dsc/abs system and came across a speed sensor that is housed in the rear differential cover.
    http://data.bmrparts.com/bmwparts/BM..._Steering.html

The reason I think this may be the issue is because of the '5D90- excessive wheel speed sensor.invalid'. I know for a fact that the last time my alignment was messed up it triggered these same lights but I never ran the codes. As soon as I got the alignment done the lights went back off. I suspect that when I removed my lowering springs a month or so ago that the specs being slightly out of alignment caused the initial illuminating of the lights. I honestly didn't think twice about it because that was the issue last time and I dodn't think it could be anything else due to the fact they came on the first time I started the car after the removal. Within a week after I changed the springs, and before I could get the alignment done, I had a my rear pumkin swapped with another guys to sell the LSD I had. The fact that there is a speed sensor in the rear diff cover means that I got his sensor, if he had one, and he got mine. That sensor not being recognized seems like it would illuminate the same lights so, essentially, the lights had 2 reasons for being on at that point. I just got the alignment done the other day which took care of that part of the equation but the sensor not being recognized (or plugged in possibly?) could be keeping them on. 5D90 is the only code I can't clear and the only one that keeps coming back. The other codes I think may be due to the fact that I just changed my front brake pads the other day. I'm going to talk to the guy that did the swap to see if he knows anything about a speed sensor back there and check under the car myself to see if I can spot anything. I'll also talk to the other guy that now has the LSD and see if he had any similar problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    fwiw, i swapped my diff+driveshaft with OCha (an old member on e90) and no lights ever appeared from it. it was 2 years ago. i know this puts a stop on your logic but i hope that speed sensor idea is solid. you have active steering? i don't- your link specifies 'with active steering'
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is one for cars with active steering and one for cars w/o it. I don't know if mine does or does not have it at this point. It still could be that the sensor is either not plugged in or got damaged during the swap. I pm'd both the guys to see what they have to say and I will climb under the car again tomorrow to see for myself if there is anything unplugged or damaged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After consulting with the guys involved in my diff swap, to include a BMW tech., as well as looking at detailed pictures and info in a DIY:

a) there is no speed sensor in the rear diff like that link suggests

b) the guy that swapped diffs with me didn't and doesn't have any lights

c) it is suggested that something is wrong with a speed sensor in one of the 4 wheels(likely up front given the fact that 5D90 refers to 'FW')

When I changed the front brakes right before I got the alignment done I went to change the front brake sensor and I accidentally unplugged the wheel speed sensor instead. Don't know how I could have damaged it but maybe I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well i hope its as simple as a wheel speed sensor, a faulty one will throw those codes. you did say you checked them though... you're thinking internal damage? pins bent or damaged maybe?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well i hope its as simple as a wheel speed sensor, a faulty one will throw those codes. you did say you checked them though... you're thinking internal damage? pins bent or damaged maybe?
    I'm not really sure on the damage it could be to one. I looked at all 4 the other day and, aside from a couple of them having small amounts of grime on the wheel end, they all looked to be in good order. None of the pins are damaged or discolored but there could be internal damage that can't be seen. The picture of the abs/dsc system on real oem http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=34&fg=20 shows that the part that the other link I posted saying is a rear diff mounted speed sensor is really the module that all controls all of the speed sensors and is mounted underneath the abs/dsc pump and control module.

I did some more testing today on the drivers side front wheel speed sensor and, even with the sensor unplugged at the connector, no new codes are being thrown. It seems to me like it's either that one sensor or perhaps the wiring connecting it to the control module or even the control module itself. I'm going to order a pair of new front sensors and try those to see if they help any.

The good thing is that I'm not throwing the codes that you did when you had to change the pump and I'm not throwing the codes that another guy on e90 did when he had to change both the pump and control module for the abs/dsc. The sensors are going to run me about $100 and the wheel sensor control module is only $400.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Trevor008 Click here to enlarge
    ?
    Joke about DJ's and flashing lights.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    5D90 and 5D96 were caused by a faulty front driver side wheel sensor. I bought the parts fron ECS Tuning(front wheel speed sensor and plastic fitting that it plugs in to) and installed them in a matter of 10 mintues. Drove the car 100 yards and the codes/lights went away. All is back to normal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    excellent!! i had a feeling it was just a wheel speed sensor. glad you didn't buy my extra abs module. wouldn't have done a thing and would have cost you even more $$. this car (n54) is one of the more finicky i have dealt with.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe