Thread: AR stage 3 dual oil cooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

AR stage 3 dual oil cooler

thought this was pretty interesting so i bought it over. what do you guys think of it? wouldn't oil pressure be a concern when switching to dual?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adam Way
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought I would share a new project AR Design recently completed for me. They designed a stage 3 oil cooler with ducting. It has 180 degree thermastat. Two oil coolers in each fender well with ducting to feed them lots of fresh air. In the old oil cooler mounting location in front of my radiator I turned that cooler into a trans cooler. With the aftermarket radiator, trans cooler, and oil coolers the vehicle hasn't yet hit limp mode. I only track my car 5-6 times a year, but I am a reasonably experienced driver with quite a bit of competition experience in various motorsports. When at highway speeds it is challenging to get it about 180 degrees. The hottest I can get it is ironically around town when there isn't much air flow. The hottest I have been able to get it is 240 degrees. Average is right around 210-220 when driving hard. For reference I have every upgrade that I am aware of that exists for this vehicle.
    Enjoy the pics.

Pic of entire vehicle:

Click here to enlarge

Pic of ducting

Click here to enlarge

Side picture of ducting

Click here to enlarge

Pictures of entire unit alone not installed

Click here to enlarge

Picture of oil cooler in fender well:

Click here to enlarge

Picture of oil cooler installed from front

Click here to enlarge

Not great picture. But picture prior to bumper going on.

Click here to enlarge

I haven't taken picture of the oil cooler lines or what the inner fender looks like, but I would be happy to if someone is interested in seeing that. More pictures on Facebook if anyone want to see. Just search under "Adam L. Way" and you should find me.

Pic of inner fender well
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Adam
    Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Will hook up oil gauge next time car is in the shop. As observed by other forum members using our supplemental kit, he saw a 1 psi pressure drop at idle (From 20-19). All other instances remained identical to factory specs. I would be surprised if this kit added any additional pressure drop over our supplemental kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)

Edited OP to fix quote tag and thread title.

Good to see more attention on the 5's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Looks good. The N63 in my 550 needs something like this asap man this thing gets HOT. When I get on it oil temps hover around 250.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

dont understand why you edited it if the car in the picture is a e92 coupe but your the boss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    dont understand why you edited it if the car in the picture is a e92 coupe but your the boss
    Heh, how drunk was I? Good job man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Heh, how drunk was I? Good job man.
    Lmao
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Looks good. The N63 in my 550 needs something like this asap man this thing gets HOT. When I get on it oil temps hover around 250.
    the car probably comes with the same thermostat as the n54 which opens at 240 degrees. what would be a cheap and easy test is to change thermostats (or have some have done, removing it) if the stock oil cooler is up to snuff.

as for this stage 3 kit: my concern lies with the increased oil capacity and how that will affect the pump. when i got my upgraded oil cooler, my capacity went up from 6.5 (w/ stock oil cooler) to almost 9 quarts (with stett oil cooler). i have not done testing on how it will affect the pump but i would imagine, by going with an additional oil cooler (instead of just a replacement) you may run into issues with the oil pump not being able to handle it. not only is there another resevior to feed through, the additional lines and what not may make this option not very effective. hey i'm not one to hate, so i guess i'll leave it at that... but how much oil does the car need now?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^thats was my concern also but hey i love the idea of running duals!! made props to AR
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I'm curious as to why the pump would care how much oil was in the system? It only pumps a fraction of the total oil in the system at any given time and the only thing that would change is how long before the total amount of oil circulates. In other words the pump will not work ANY harder simply because there is more oil in the system. As long as the pressure is kept up(as chris has already confirmed) more oil in the system is a good thing IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

^i get what you're saying, it makes sense, more oil in the system means more oil that gets circulated. more oil to capture deposits and keep everything spinning with less heat and friction. but my concern is not with the amount in that sense, but that the pump will have to draw the oil around a much more complicated route, although the pump is pushing the same amount of oil per second, it is constantly being taxed by the second oil cooler's position. hey i'm no engineer, i could be absolutely wrong, but to me it seems as though with two separate coolers you're taxing the system more than one large one. i guess another way to look at it (what i'm visualizing) is if you had two oil coolers in the front passenger side (lets say it could fit or would be efficient - neither is true) then the system would be less taxed because it flows into one oil cooler, out the outlet, then back in the next cooler, then back out and back into the oil distribution block near the oil filter. let me know if this helps at all or just sounds like garbage (hate) lol.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes that would be true if the oil pump had it's own motor that had a certain capacity and by running longer lines you would in fact be taxing it more. For example if you notice on high end drag cars they move the gas tank and pump up front so that there is a shorter distance to the motor and this makes the pump more efficient. But that is because it runs off its own motor and it's own power. The oil pump on these cars are driven by the motor itself and that is not gonna be affected by the additional lines(ie your not gonna wear out the N54 because it has longer oil lines) as long as the pressure is there your good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

what jim said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Yes that would be true if the oil pump had it's own motor that had a certain capacity and by running longer lines you would in fact be taxing it more. For example if you notice on high end drag cars they move the gas tank and pump up front so that there is a shorter distance to the motor and this makes the pump more efficient. But that is because it runs off its own motor and it's own power. The oil pump on these cars are driven by the motor itself and that is not gonna be affected by the additional lines(ie your not gonna wear out the N54 because it has longer oil lines) as long as the pressure is there your good.
    okay, you're making sense Click here to enlarge especially if the pressure is kept up as stated, i guess i overlooked that post by chris. now my question to you then is: is there a limit? what i mean is if you had oil coolers all around the car for whatever reason, in every wheel well and every space that gets flow, would the pump be over taxed then? i guess your answer will be: as soon as oil pressure drops. but lets say oil pressure stays within or close to spec, but at this point you have almost 20 liters or something stupid... will the pump mind? or wear out faster? i'd like to know the extreme.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Well I dont think the pump would get worn out anymore regardless of the amount of oil in the system. The gear that is driven off of the crank wears mainly from high rpms not because of the amount of oil. However to answer your question you would never want 20 liters of oil in the system for several reason. First because you would struggle to maintain the oil at the correct temperature when it takes so long to circulate and secondly because that would add an unnecessary amount of weight as 20L of oil is not insignificant. In other words you'd reach the point of ridiculousness long before you'd have an issue with the pump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I like this Jim guy Click here to enlarge great explanations man Click here to enlarge
    PTF TWIN DISK CLUTCH - GROUP BUY

Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

That thing was a PAIN to make.....
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1489 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    That thing was a PAIN to make.....
    But worth it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Very much so! Click here to enlarge We also installed a PWR radiator at the same time. Fitment wasnt so hot... Pun intended LOL
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That rotor is on backwards.