Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Any 535's running Cobb stage 2? Questions for you.

Hey Guys!

Been doing my research into getting catted DP's for my 535 as well as a FMIC (which is an exercise in guesswork and faith when it comes to it actually working). I'm currently running Cobb stage 1 (aggressive) and am really looking to go to stage 2. Of course, it requires DP's but as I've discovered, the 5 FMIC is different then the 3 and apparently not as efficient or just plain smaller.

So I am curious if anyone here is running stage 2 with the factory FMIC and,if so, how is it running? Are the IAT's a concern?

While I am on the subject - can anyone also confirm that the Cobb AP will hide the codes from having aftermarket cats from the OBD-II inspection? We don't use sniffers, just the OBDII (and no visual inspection) so I need to see if the Cobb AP will clear out the codes (if there are any) from aftermarket DP's. If not, will the BMS 02 sensor fix work?

Yes, still pretty new to this. Thanks in advance!
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you order the fmic? im not sure about the stage 2 but since cobb says the map dosent require a fmic you should be good..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For the FMIC - I can't source one that has a confirmed fit, much less an actual advantage. I have two leads - one was yours that you said, to put it kindly, didn't work and the other is from CP-E who is located about 5 hours away from me. I talked with the owner who told me they are "supposed" to fit, and they've sold them to 5'ers in the past (and they were not returned) but they had never installed one themselves. He did offer me a great deal if I can drive up there and be a test kit for them, but that is a few months away before I have time to do that. So, no, I didn't order it yet. Click here to enlarge

So the complication in running Cobb stg 2 is the increased load coupled with the undersized FMIC in the 5's. I just ordered the DP's figuring that I'll benefit regardless on if I can run stg 2 safely, but was hoping for the increased safety margin a more efficient FMIC would bring.

Since verified info for the 5's is so sporadic, trying to logically piece together what makes sense as I'd hate to have a major malfunction from tuning simply because it's so geared towards the 335's (Hence why I am looking for a larger safety margin then most).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    So I am curious if anyone here is running stage 2 with the factory FMIC and,if so, how is it running? Are the IAT's a concern?
    I do not think anybody here is doing that yet. You would be the first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

didn't work and the other is from CP-E who is located about 5 hours away from me. I talked with the owner who told me they are "supposed" to fit, and they've sold them to 5'ers in the past (and they were not returned) but they had never installed one themselves. He did offer me a great deal if I can drive up there and be a test kit for them, but that is a few months away before I have time to do that. So, no, I didn't order it yet.
    Damn, I was hoping you would go test fit it. A bit of a drive though and if you are still waiting understandable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's definitely a possibility Sticky. Getting DP's put on first and trying to ease the bleeding, just a bit, from modding the car. Novemeber/December will be alot easier for me (timewise) to get away and do it.

If you think i'm the first, I will definitely make sure and get some before & after dyno logs with the DP installation as well as running stg 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If you think i'm the first, I will definitely make sure and get some before & after dyno logs with the DP installation as well as running stg 2.
    Really don't know of anyone else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Really don't know of anyone else.
    Cool. Ok, in that case then (since I'm newer to this), anyone want to give me a wish list of configurations to get for the DP's? Here is what I was thinking:

Dyno Run -

Bare Stock (with DCI)
    Cobb stg1 v301 aggressive (with DCI)

Install AR DP's

Bare Stock (with DCI)
    Cobb stg1 v301 aggressive (with DCI)
    Cobb stg2 v301 aggressive (with DCI)

I assume I should log all of these runs with the Cobb as well? Am I missing anything you would like to see?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Am I missing anything you would like to see?
    Not me, that looks pretty good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'd check with ets. The CPE requires slight cutting on the 335. If the 5 is smaller, go with ets as it's a direct fit for the 3. Not sure about the charge pipe connection but you could probably figure that out without much trouble.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    I'd check with ets. The CPE requires slight cutting on the 335. If the 5 is smaller, go with ets as it's a direct fit for the 3. Not sure about the charge pipe connection but you could probably figure that out without much trouble.
    Thank you boom! I'm going to do alot more investigation and I may have a reason to travel up to Md for a photo shoot soon. If I do I can combine the FMIC tryout from CP-E. They are really the only company I have found that acknowledges the 5 is different then the 3 (for FMIC's) and says they have a specific model for it. With CP-E being 5 hours from me, I think that would be a better method as they can see the car first hand.

What I don't want to have happen is ship in a FMIC, try to get it fitted then have it not fit or alot of cutting be involved and have to worry about a refund if it won't fit.

Either way, should be getting the DP's installed within 2 weeks. Click here to enlarge That makes me happy. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    What cutting are you refering to? I instaleld the cp-e fmic myself on my 07 335i and I did not need to cut anything?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    What cutting are you refering to? I instaleld the cp-e fmic myself on my 07 335i and I did not need to cut anything?
    The 535i has transmission coolers in the way as well as the FMIC itself being smaller then the 335i. The plastic may not be the same design as on the 335's and, if that is the case, the IC likely will require cutting. Unfortunately the 5's have just enough differences to keep things interesting when modding it. Still not movement on the IC front but the DP's go on tomorrow... for that I am really stoked.