37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice new round of pics!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What will the purpose of the graphics be? Since you do most of the work yourself there isn't a need to advertise companies/sponsors right? Or since you say it is a show car you do plan on doing that?
    There have been a few shows in which I was hands down the better car, but lost, or came in second to a point based system because I had no "graphics". Yes, the car was built to compete in both shows.. as well as be a good performance car. I'm hoping to land sponsors in the future... but it's not a focus right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    There have been a few shows in which I was hands down the better car, but lost, or came in second to a point based system because I had no "graphics". Yes, the car was built to compete in both shows.. as well as be a good performance car. I'm hoping to land sponsors in the future... but it's not a focus right now.
    Honestly, I find it pretty lame that you basically are forced into "graphics" just because it is something on a shows checklist. What about if a car looks clean without them? Why not take that into account? I mean hey, I understand you need to do what you need to do to win but I question the shows judging where they dock you just for "graphics."

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Honestly, I find it pretty lame that you basically are forced into "graphics" just because it is something on a shows checklist.
    As "fast n furious" as it may sound, I like the graphics/logo's when done tastefully. I like the "tuner" look.. hell.. I painted my car lime green. This is both what I wanted to do from the onset as well as the style/scene I was aiming for. I know it probably doesn't sit well with some BMW enthusiast just as I'm sure my lime green color choice is not for everyone. I didn't build the car however to appease BMW nuts.. I built the car to have fun and share with other automotive enthusiasts in general, most of which don't know the difference between a BMW M3 and an Audi S4. All they know is they don't see many modded BMW's.. so it is an attraction by that right.

Ya know.. there are not that many highly modified M3's when you think about it.. You would be surprised how many people don't even realize it is a BMW... when they see the roundel they look surprised.
    Last edited by ccsykes; 07-04-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As "fast n furious" as it may sound, I like the graphics/logo's when done tastefully. I like the "tuner" look.. hell.. I painted my car lime green. This is both what I wanted to do from the onset as well as the style/scene I was aiming for. I know it probably doesn't sit well with some BMW enthusiast just as I'm sure my lime green color choice is not for everyone. I didn't build the car however to appease BMW nuts.. I built the car to have fun and share with other automotive enthusiasts in general, most of which don't know the difference between a BMW M3 and an Audi S4. All they know is they don't see many modded BMW's.. so it is an attraction by that right.

Ya know.. there are not that many highly modified M3's when you think about it.. You would be surprised how many people don't even realize it is a BMW... when they see the roundel they look surprised.
    I have nothing against graphics I was more leaning towards that you are forced into modding a certain way. What if is modded in a way that graphics are a detriment? Should it still be penalized for not including them? I think the car should be evaluated as a whole not based on a checklist. Sometimes less can be more. I definitely understand that you are not going for a subtle look to begin with and I do not disagree at all with you adding graphics. I just don't like that competitions take a bit of your freedom of expression away by having expectations you should conform to. Some cars honestly look like they could gain points without graphics.

I'm getting too philosophical but I like that you do things differently as well as yourself and share it, period.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    nice new round of pics!
    Photographer John Zhang of 1013MM.com snapped a picture of my car at Mfest that ended up in the July 2010 issue of Performance BMW Magazine.. My first mag appearance.. small.. but nonetheless in print haha!

This was when I still had my "experimental" orange interior lol!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ That is pretty cool, it counts as a mag appearance Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ That is pretty cool, it counts as a mag appearance Click here to enlarge
    Thanks bud.. I did make it on the cover of the Houston BMW-CCA Chapter newsletter.. not exactly a national publication.. but it was cool nonetheless.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very Clean
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thought it was time to bump this.. My car has been in someone else's garage for so long now I sometimes go days and forget I even own the car. Well, I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Last I spoke with Jason, things seemed to be progressing.

Update: Jason chose the Precision 6765 Billet DBB with an .82 exhaust housing. I just didn't feel the powerband of the HPF kit suited my needs. It pulled like a monster all the way to redline, but there was no power band. A fast car is going to need a good 3K solid power band. So the hope is the billet 6765 will get me a good 700-750WHP while giving me a nice strong power band. I think the HPF guys are going about it all wrong... and that's why they can't break 10's.

Also going with some Tial BOV's instead of the HKS's from the HPF kit. I most likely will also be going with a sheet-metal intake and selling the HPF one. Other mechanical plans are to install a 15 gallon fuel cell and surge tank.

Got all new Aero for the car. I've got the Bimmerworld tall race wing, rear diffuser and canards. I also have an APR front splitter. I'm also going to get some new rotors and pads for my Stoptechs.

Hoping to have some test and tune videos out at some point in the coming month or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah, was wondering where you were! I was half-expecting you to show up to the past track meet over the weekend. Good to know the car is being worked on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Ah, was wondering where you were! I was half-expecting you to show up to the past track meet over the weekend. Good to know the car is being worked on.
    Yeah.. I've only had the car in my possession maybe two weeks for over a year period now. I've been setting the car up to track it, so I will definitely be making it out to a track event once it is done.

Edit: anyway I can get this thread moved to the S54 section?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure thing, just make sure to keep giving us the updates Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thought it was time to bump this.. My car has been in someone else's garage for so long now I sometimes go days and forget I even own the car. Well, I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. Last I spoke with Jason, things seemed to be progressing.

Update: Jason chose the Precision 6765 Billet DBB with an .82 exhaust housing. I just didn't feel the powerband of the HPF kit suited my needs. It pulled like a monster all the way to redline, but there was no power band. A fast car is going to need a good 3K solid power band. So the hope is the billet 6765 will get me a good 700-750WHP while giving me a nice strong power band. I think the HPF guys are going about it all wrong... and that's why they can't break 10's.

Also going with some Tial BOV's instead of the HKS's from the HPF kit. I most likely will also be going with a sheet-metal intake and selling the HPF one. Other mechanical plans are to install a 15 gallon fuel cell and surge tank.

Got all new Aero for the car. I've got the Bimmerworld tall race wing, rear diffuser and canards. I also have an APR front splitter. I'm also going to get some new rotors and pads for my Stoptechs.

Hoping to have some test and tune videos out at some point in the coming month or so.
    Just want to see the precision 6765 dyno overlaid with the turbo you were using before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just want to see the precision 6765 dyno overlaid with the turbo you were using before.
    None of my HPF dyno plots have RPM, instead they have MPH. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. I always wondered why they used MPH... nobody else really does. The plot below was from HPF's web site.

I have looked at a lot of dyno plots of 6765's and I found one that had a similar RPM band and displacement. I matched them up and the below is what I got. The HPF power band pretty much just climbs all the way to red line. It never really plateaus. It makes most its peak power near redline. Problem with that I found is that you are loosing a good 500-800 RPM of power band. From my experience drag racing, you need a good solid 3K power band. So I wanted a setup that would make peak power sooner, and hold that power well through the upper band.

There is no promise I will have a similar power band like below.. but that is the type I am hoping for. The below should be pretty close as I matched up the vertical and horizontal reference points.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    None of my HPF dyno plots have RPM, instead they have MPH. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not. I always wondered why they used MPH... nobody else really does
    I do not know why they use MPH either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know Jason @ ProEFI had a hard time getting his dyno jet to read the RPM. He ended up giving my MPH graphs as well..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i recall 5nailsnails posted something about MPH to RPM converting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can have my guys in Houston dyno it if need be. They never had problems before and I was using Okada's back then as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

IT's about the RPM pick up, ever so often we'll get shaky results with TQ. We're not tuning for a HP figure, we're tuning to make sure everything is running correctly. Dyno numbers are simply an indicator of change IMO.
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - branden@horsepowerfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HPFBranden Click here to enlarge
    IT's about the RPM pick up, ever so often we'll get shaky results with TQ. We're not tuning for a HP figure, we're tuning to make sure everything is running correctly. Dyno numbers are simply an indicator of change IMO.
    It does become somewhat important when you are trying to achieve a certain power band however and need that data to be accurate for planning purposes.

Now that I opened my eyes some, it seems many BMW tuners are simply satisfied with achieving a peak power number. There doesn't appear to be any real science behind the design of the power band beyond that. A 3,800 lbs car running 626 HP that only musters a low 12 second pass but yields a trap speed near 130MPH, something is wrong with that. The power band is obviously not a good match for the car. It might however make a great power band for mile racing.. but that's not really a big interest of mine anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    gt4088r rape sauce, or HTA 3586. Maybe even the Hta 37.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    gt4088r rape sauce, or HTA 3586. Maybe even the Hta 37.
    I had spoke with Jason at ProEFI about the HTA's and he wasn't really impressed with them. He is running a GT40 on his car. We discussed the type of powerband I wanted and that's how we arrived at the Precision billet 6765.

Chris at HPF said the billet made less power than the cast 6776 which doesn't seem to match what others are getting. I guess right now I'm the first to try a billet 6765 so will be interesting to see what we get. I know we are using a 82. exhaust hosing and shooting for about 30PSI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It does become somewhat important when you are trying to achieve a certain power band however and need that data to be accurate for planning purposes.

Now that I opened my eyes some, it seems many BMW tuners are simply satisfied with achieving a peak power number. There doesn't appear to be any real science behind the design of the power band beyond that. A 3,800 lbs car running 626 HP that only musters a low 12 second pass but yields a trap speed near 130MPH, something is wrong with that. The power band is obviously not a good match for the car. It might however make a great power band for mile racing.. but that's not really a big interest of mine anymore.
    Thats the thing, when youre looking for a certain HP figure, you will often have to sacrafice some mid range to make it happen. Thats why we run the multiple stages so you can pick your poison.

I think a lot of the mismtached ET's and MPH in the 1/4 have more to do with traction/driver than the power band. Our stage 1-2.5 has a nice healthy powerband, but no one can get the car to launch yet. It's the same issue that the MKIV supra crowd had in it's infancy with the drag strip.
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - branden@horsepowerfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HPFBranden Click here to enlarge
    I think a lot of the mismtached ET's and MPH in the 1/4 have more to do with traction/driver than the power band.
    If I go out and bust a 10 second pass with a smaller turbo wouldn't that prove this theory wrong? In a month or so I guess we will find out. Click here to enlarge

I have a Sony HDR AX2000 and 2 GoPro's so you can be sure it will be caught in full 1080/60i HD goodness. hehe..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast