Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    damn, i looked around after you mentioned the k16/k24 hydrid. that EPL setup is pretty cheap.
    couldn't find a dyno though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    damn, i looked around after you mentioned the k16/k24 hydrid. that EPL setup is pretty cheap.
    couldn't find a dyno though
    You can get into the 500's I think with the stock fuel system but don't quote me on that as it's been a while. If you do the fuel system, you can get pretty far on the hybrid setups at least to the point you think of internals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i agree, the HPF kit will be just as expensive as the m kits (even though they start n/a). tuning, hardware, fueling hurdle, when all of it is tackled, the price goes up with every addition. the HPF intake mani wont be cheap, and then the fuel lines and extra pump, i can go on for hours. and when has anything from HPF been cheap, or had for a reasonable price? lol, even their exhaust is very expensive, and its just one pipe for most of the length! anyway i should stop, lol i'd love to see the kit come to be but it will only be for the deep pocket, love love love the e9x 3-series body for some reason, buyer. for the money spent here there are much better options. but i shouldn't say that until they release pricing i suppose, im getting ahead of myself, however i just cannot see this kit being had for less than 10000. it could even be 15, or more.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i agree, the HPF kit will be just as expensive as the m kits (even though they start n/a). tuning, hardware, fueling hurdle, when all of it is tackled, the price goes up with every addition. the HPF intake mani wont be cheap, and then the fuel lines and extra pump, i can go on for hours. and when has anything from HPF been cheap, or had for a reasonable price? lol, even their exhaust is very expensive, and its just one pipe for most of the length! anyway i should stop, lol i'd love to see the kit come to be but it will only be for the deep pocket, love love love the e9x 3-series body for some reason, buyer. for the money spent here there are much better options. but i shouldn't say that until they release pricing i suppose, im getting ahead of myself, however i just cannot see this kit being had for less than 10000. it could even be 15, or more.
    It can be cheaper than that if you peice together your own kit. Once we have the ability to custom flash tune our DME and have a solid fueling solution on the market, any turbo system can easily be built if you know the right people. Sure it wont be cheaper if your time is expensive but a turbo kit can be peiced together for $2000 if you look in the right places and have some TIG welding friends do the work at materials cost. I would hope that HPF will make a standard t4 flange so we can decide what turbo, wastegate, bov, piping, etc we want on our kit. I wont buying a full kit from HPF because i dont have 10k+ to spend and would spend that on an c5 Z06 and go 150+ in the quarter. But if HPF offered just the manifold at a resonable price, i would buy one in a heartbeat. That way they can capture a large portion of the market.
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its a shame no one has made this happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not just fueling that is the problem.....

Has anyone here looked at how the N54 hardware/software control the waste-gate(s)?

From what I know, the biggest issue is just getting the damn thing to spool, and I'll leave it at that for now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Spooling shouldn't be an issue - you can't open the wastegates without manifold pressure, so if you're implying the wastegate solenoids are active too low for a large turbo to spool up, a secondary solenoid controlled by an AMS 500 or 1000 behind the stock should do the trick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The N54 does not open wastegates based on MAP. There are two vacuum chambers that are pumped down by engine power, and the waste-gate actuators are fed small amounts of pressure from those chambers depending on what the DME wants to do.

It allows them to do load-based boost management and also can keep waste-gates open even "out of boost" for efficiency reasons.

This makes it very difficult to run a conventional waste-gate and actuator. You'd have have a way to trick the DME and then possibly you could get away with a traditional boost-actuated setup.

At least that is how I've interpreted it so far. Anyone feel free to correct me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you're right. the n54 is vacuum actuated not boost, so with a single w/ external wastegate you are going to have to switch to a boost actuated system, it is yet another hurdle. also, the car needs to see boost before 3k revs, hard to do with a large single, but, i suppose you can trick the dme, its been done before.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know that it'd be terribly terribly difficult. You could still run a an AMS 500 and solenoid with an electric vacuum pump like cars with vacuum actuated cruise control utilize. You don't have to use boost. You'd be surprised what sort of crazy combinations you can come up with - a lot of guys use CO2 and control the wastegate regardless of what vacuum or boost the car is seeing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    and my boss insists on still doing an N54 swap in the E28. I dropped that idea before the summer came around....these engines are still capped in power, and I would spend just as much $ getting one dropped in as would an S85. all the turbo plumbing, the fact I have to hack the front bumper up (which I dont want to do because its rare) and then still get the DME to play nice with a car that is 25 years its senior...Id have to convert the car to a 3-series to make it work.

If we had fuel solutions for this car I would be all over it. But to me its still a 400-ish hp car on pump gas, and nothing more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    If we had fuel solutions for this car I would be all over it. But to me its still a 400-ish hp car on pump gas, and nothing more.
    And you aren't wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Repped for the truth. And calling it that is even being generous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

New updated pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    And you aren't wrong.
    So is the current M3....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    N54 manifold graveyard thread
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is a new company down in NC that I heard about last night, they do turbo 350Zs and they mentioned they wanted to break into the BmW market with a turbo kit. Maybe I should call them and tell them its not as easy as it looks...

Momentum Performance is the name...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just tell them to look at this thread Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to complete your list, there was also this big single turbo project by AMS. GT35R Click here to enlarge
    01-06-2009, 01:18 AM #1
    Eric@AMS
    Captain Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Drives: 2007 335i

Click here to enlarge AMS Updates. Turbo kit plans have begun

Well guys we got our 335i in the air and finalized our design plans for the exhaust. The Engineers need to take off the stock turbo's to take their measurements and build out turbo back system. Well while they are off we decided to begin prototyping a larger single turbo kit for the car.

With the displacement and compression the N54 offers we are planning on putting on a GT35R with a T4 housing. We really think the motor will produce just too much exhaust for a T3 turbine housing to efficiently use. Once we start tearing it down I will take countless pictures and keep everyone updated as the build gets underway. Maybe I should get badges made that say 335R lol

The intercooler end tanks are being casted right now so we are a few months away on that being able to sell.

The final exhaust plans are pretty trick and unlike ANYONE else on the market. I think you will all be pretty stoked at the final design.

We also started paying a bit more intention to the intake system on the car. Although the factory is very well designed we think we can makes some slight improvements on it.

So stay tuned as I will continue to update everyone as we get farther into the project.

Eric

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sucks that AMS never went through with it, i guess GTR Alphas took priority
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is a new company down in NC that I heard about last night, they do turbo 350Zs and they mentioned they wanted to break into the BmW market with a turbo kit. Maybe I should call them and tell them its not as easy as it looks...

Momentum Performance is the name...
    They make pretty good kits for the 350z's but the 350z market has been beaten to death and they've only just started business 2 years ago. So they knew exactly what and what not to do. For them to tap into the BMW market I have a feeling they will be in for a big surprise as they probably have no idea how complicated the BMW platform is
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Just to complete your list, there was also this big single turbo project by AMS. GT35R Click here to enlarge
    01-06-2009, 01:18 AM #1
    Eric@AMS
    Captain http://www.e90post.com/forums/titles/lieut.gifhttp://www.e90post.com/forums/titles/lieut.gifhttp://www.e90post.com/forums/titles/lieut.gifhttp://www.e90post.com/forums/titles/lieut.gif

Drives: 2007 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif AMS Updates. Turbo kit plans have begun

Well guys we got our 335i in the air and finalized our design plans for the exhaust. The Engineers need to take off the stock turbo's to take their measurements and build out turbo back system. Well while they are off we decided to begin prototyping a larger single turbo kit for the car.

With the displacement and compression the N54 offers we are planning on putting on a GT35R with a T4 housing. We really think the motor will produce just too much exhaust for a T3 turbine housing to efficiently use. Once we start tearing it down I will take countless pictures and keep everyone updated as the build gets underway. Maybe I should get badges made that say 335R lol

The intercooler end tanks are being casted right now so we are a few months away on that being able to sell.

The final exhaust plans are pretty trick and unlike ANYONE else on the market. I think you will all be pretty stoked at the final design.

We also started paying a bit more intention to the intake system on the car. Although the factory is very well designed we think we can makes some slight improvements on it.

So stay tuned as I will continue to update everyone as we get farther into the project.

Eric
    Except they never developed anything to show for it at least publicly available and don't plan to continue so I didn't make a spot for them here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I wonder what Cobb is planning for tuning upgraded turbos and single turbo setups?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    So is the current M3....
    Not with boost...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I wonder what Cobb is planning for tuning upgraded turbos and single turbo setups?
    A good question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast