Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Power more than heft? I don't know about that one.
    Obviously if the car weighs 20 lbs it needs less brake to sink the heat of decelerating the mass, but you don't see absurd brakes on the 7 series because they really lack the power to get the vehicle back up to speed. granted, the 7 series brakes are good, but they're not anything like what we're talking about. Brakes will not fade from a single braking moment from 100mph or if they do you have serious design issues. They fade after going from high speed to low speed repeatedly in an amount of time shorter than required to cool the brake components - that takes power. It's why you see arguments everyday on SCCA forums where an E36 M3 shows up with 15" disc brakes and 300 bhp. You physically cannot over heat the smaller brakes with the amount of power - the car is incapable of going fast to slow to fast to overheat a 13 - 14" setup.

Remove them?
    Correct - a few friends of mine with track car porsches remove the optional carbon setup and shelf it for steel rotors for tracking. Very common in the those cars for track go'ers. As mentioned the only down side is that the porsche brembo units crack like on other - there have been class actions against them.

Porsche has actually put together a guideline assessing how cracked is ok. WTF?!!?!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    Correct - a few friends of mine with track car porsches remove the optional carbon setup and shelf it for steel rotors for tracking.
    You said 99%. I'll get to this later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct. My friends don't comprise 99% of the Porsche racing population. I only know a few well enough to call them friends.

Most of the cars that come out of GMG run brembo gtr 15" setups with steel rotors.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/506015-report-on-pccb-to-iron-rotors-for-my-gt2.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would say 99 percent it close. Almost every member on RL or 6spd took theirs off for tracking and put on steel. Ceramics were too much maintenance and too costly to replace. The stocks do crack but usually between 5-10 track days, then you just replace the rotor.

Funny thing is the ceramics are sort of better for the street because they dont make any noise (at least on the .2 GT3) where the steels are so loud due to the race pads.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    i would say 99 percent it close. Almost every member on RL or 6spd took theirs off for tracking and put on steel. Ceramics were too much maintenance and too costly to replace. The stocks do crack but usually between 5-10 track days, then you just replace the rotor.

Funny thing is the ceramics are sort of better for the street because they dont make any noise (at least on the .2 GT3) where the steels are so loud due to the race pads.
    Dude you're not making Sticky look good with that post. Cmon. He needs to show me I am wrong.

Yeah the steel suck for that. But, I think the race pads + steel sound badass when up to temp. Do people run solid rotors or still doing drilled? My only reservation about the drilled is the cracking. My buddy in college put brand new OE steels on his X50 and went to a track day and they were cracked same day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dude you're not making Sticky look good with that post. Cmon. He needs to show me I am wrong.

Yeah the steel suck for that. But, I think the race pads + steel sound badass when up to temp. Do people run solid rotors or still doing drilled? My only reservation about the drilled is the cracking. My buddy in college put brand new OE steels on his X50 and went to a track day and they were cracked same day.
    my c63 brakes squeak but its not so loud so I dont mind, my GT3 sounded like there was a dying/on fire Hyena in the car.

OE is drilled and they crack after a bit, Ive seen both slotted and drilled being run on them, and when people run drilled I always see others asking about cracking, and it they always start out with hairline cracks that eventually seem get worse.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    my c63 brakes squeak but its not so loud so I dont mind, my GT3 sounded like there was a dying/on fire Hyena in the car.

OE is drilled and they crack after a bit, Ive seen both slotted and drilled being run on them, and when people run drilled I always see others asking about cracking, and it they always start out with hairline cracks that eventually seem get worse.
    I run 348mm non-drilled on my car with wilwood BP10 or BP20 compound and the high pitched squeel when braking from like 60 doesn't bother me, its the shriek that can happen at like 5 - 10 mph like braking into a turn at an intersection and people look at you weird.

If you know of anyone ditching a rotor with "mild cracks" in it I'd be interested in running it through the xray machine here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run 348mm non-drilled on my car with wilwood BP10 or BP20 compound and the high pitched squeel when braking from like 60 doesn't bother me, its the shriek that can happen at like 5 - 10 mph like braking into a turn at an intersection and people look at you weird.

If you know of anyone ditching a rotor with "mild cracks" in it I'd be interested in running it through the xray machine here.
    I know what you mean!

Just go on 6speedonline.com or Rennlist.com and ask in the GT3 section. Im sure there someone would be willing if you paid for shipping, they are very helpful over there. The GT3 guys are always very helpful and friendly. Thats one thing I miss about mine as well Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's later - you getting to this?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123