Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

SL600 vs Convertible Viper (SRT10 Maybe)

I was playing with a convertible black Viper w/ LED strips under the headlamps. I usually don't even mess around on public streets, but my adrenaline and pride got the better of me.

Goes like this:

Cruising around 70MPH, when I see what looks like Dodge Stealth headlights pulling up on me fast, real fast. I then notice the LED strips, but didn't think much of it, since I figured it was a Stealth, and not even worth my fuel. Then it darts out to my right, and pulls even with me. Then I see and hear it.... and man, does it sound glorious. He 'romp romp's' it a few times and moves over another lane to his right. Now, it's VERY rare for someone to challenge me in the SL. Not sure why, but its been a few Civics feeling froggy, a 360 Modena, and handful of ///M cars, that I usually make very light work out of, and shut it down early. But this Viper was different. It was gorgeous, sounded amazing, and seemed like a good barometer for my ole' FreinkenMissle. Game on:

I shift down two gears just so he knows I'm game, he responds with the same. I look over, give him the thumbs up, and BAM....he hits the loud pedal. I follow suit, but it took me a good while to reel him in. I'm not used to this, this cannot happen. The few times I've played around with other cars, it's been a Tyson-Spinx 1-2 combo and, it's lights out for them. Ok Mr. Viper, you have my attention. I finally pull even, and get around him for the win. He ends up behind me but breaks formation whenever he can, to pull up and have another go at me. We did this 4 times, reaching speeds just a tick or two over the posted 65mph speed limit. But happy to say, the SL punched back, and never got a view of the tail lights of that gorgeous Viper. He can't say the same. He's acutely aware of what my vanity plate reads. That Viper was fast....real fast. I've raced a few at the track, and really laid the beat down on them. I'm guessing it was traction issues or driver skill those days. But these were 60mph roll-ons.....not much to mess up there.

After we were done, we rode side by side for a mile or so, chatting. Poor guy even lost his hat while we were talking. We complimented each others rides, and he pulled off on to his exit.

Both cars performed brilliantly, and seemed very VERY even on the long pulls.

I've already given myself a "talkin' to" about my antics, but it was a weak moment for me.

Oddly enough, a gorgeous S63 pulled up beside me not more than 2 minutes after. I'm guessing we probably buzzed him during one of our jaunts. He tried me too, but I made light work of that car. He gave it a go 3 times, but it became apparent to him very quickly, that he was no match for me. He and his girlfriend gave me the thumbs, and the bow, I returned the gesture, and I got off my exit.

Got home, popped the hood, and let her relax for 3 hours before tucking her into bed.

Drove it to work this morning.....never got over 40mph.

God, I love this car.

2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust. #1 record holder on dragtimes (13.49@102.5)
    2005 SL600 - OE Tuning ECU/ Speedriven TCU - #1 record holder on dragtimes (11.02@126)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqKECRhvlf4

Powered by:Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice. what does your plate read?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    nice. what does your plate read?
    TORQUEY

Click here to enlarge
    2004 E500 - Eurocharged ECU, VRP headers and E55 exhaust. #1 record holder on dragtimes (13.49@102.5)
    2005 SL600 - OE Tuning ECU/ Speedriven TCU - #1 record holder on dragtimes (11.02@126)

Powered by:Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    allow me. . .
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama Click here to enlarge
    TORQUEY

Click here to enlarge
    I was too slow on the drawClick here to enlarge. . .that sure as hell beats my "a Mazda 6 tried to race me this weekend story. . ."
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^^^^ nice

I forgot about that picture. Wanna play golf there tomorrow. I took the day off, since the Skins play tonight.