Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up Cobb Stage 3 (Alpha) - vids

At an airfield event, recorded these two Click here to enlarge

Next up, lo and behold, I'll be stacking a JB4 on top to add a tiny bit of extra boost progressively up top when meth is flowing...AFR is a perfect 11.5 all the way through and it hits that target immediately at the kick of throttle...no wild upswing/downswing that I used to experience and couldn't 100% tune out on either procede or the JB4...I don't want to run 18psi all the way to redline flashed as that leaves no room for so called meth safety..

I consider this flash/piggy (procede or jb) combo a very potent one as you have "direct" timing and fuel control which is 100% predictable and then use a piggy for progressive boost and meth safety where required...obviously that'll be one until a flash like Cobb can deal with all three

As you can see, NO MORE MISFIRES UP TOP!!!!Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sick dude looks fast! i'm so glad you don't have misfires. i read your thread on e90, interesting how it was finally resolved, again really happy for you then and now. i just noticed this, in the second video, the freeze frame before clicking 'play' has you over-revving to 7200 Click here to enlarge interesting to note, i remember that discussion in a separate thread Click here to enlarge i wish i had high 50 degree weather here now, forget the humidity, i should visit Canada one of these years Click here to enlarge

oh about stacking tunes, i have never liked the idea, but if it works for you, more power to ya Click here to enlarge i think the members idea of a sole meth failsafe (instead of a whole JB4) is a good one, if the flash is unable to compensate.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One thing i dont understand is why they are pushing tons of boost on low/medium rpm with 2 degrees advance (which creates high EGT temps) while the same results with lower EGT temps and faster response could be achieved with 8 degrees advance and 15 psi of boost. MPG would also gain on this.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    One thing i dont understand is why they are pushing tons of boost on low/medium rpm with 2 degrees advance (which creates high EGT temps) while the same results with lower EGT temps and faster response could be achieved with 8 degrees advance and 15 psi of boost. MPG would also gain on this.
    also Dzenno can you confirm the logged boost is = the guage boost that you can read on the p3 gauge? Could they be scaling the boost after 5000 rpm so that the ECU "thinks" is lower? it just seems the car goes too well especially after 6000 rpm with that low boost and timing.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also Dzenno can you confirm the logged boost is = the guage boost that you can read on the p3 gauge? Could they be scaling the boost after 5000 rpm so that the ECU "thinks" is lower? it just seems the car goes too well especially after 6000 rpm with that low boost and timing.
    just got my answer concerning this:
    Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    The pressure being reported by the stock MAP sensor is reported lower than actual above 5k like Jeff mentioned. We have mapped out the 2.5 bar sensor and it is linear meaning the ECU is skewing the data. We will be fixing the accuracy reported by the ECU in the near future.

The car is running more than 10 psi at 5.5k Click here to enlarge

Cheers,
    Rob
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    These guys are doing it right, EGT and pressure probes in the exhaust...they're not just putting numbers in there for the hell of it...

It's true, AP has a bug in boost log past 5k rpm..for instance at 6k rpm on my stg3 map it's hitting 16psi on my analog gauge AND jb4 log (in passthrough mode with jb4 not touching anything) with throttle wide open and no closures, while the AP log shows 10.5psi there Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you have any good kills at the airfield event? How's the act clutch holding up with all that power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335ili Click here to enlarge
    Did you have any good kills at the airfield event? How's the act clutch holding up with all that power?
    wasn't really a true airfield event if you know what i mean Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol I gotcha. Going from procede to Cobb is there a big difference. Now that Terry might do a meth fail safe for flashes Its very tempting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335ili Click here to enlarge
    Lol I gotcha. Going from procede to Cobb is there a big difference. Now that Terry might do a meth fail safe for flashes Its very tempting.
    seat of the pants, peak power you won't notice a huge difference if any at all...where it mattered for me and what made me switch is after almost 4-5 months trying to work out part throttle AFR with high boost on the procede I couldn't have it behave like it does with a flash...just when I'd think it was working out great, i'd be done doing logs, and then the next day some AFR weirdness would come back again at part throttle (initial WOT stab)...tons of $#@! was blamed and there were always some excuses for it but I always had thought deep down that something was just off there...trying a flash on the same boost and seeing AFR hit 12s immediately at part throttle and post shift made me switch, not power itself

this all started to matter a lot when i went with RB turbos and lots more boost than on stock turbos..with stock turbos I ran the procede for 3.5 years with no issues at all and in all honesty it never disappointed and was a great tune with TONS of features that always kept coming...i always go for further refinement and IMO a proper flash is many times more refined than a proper piggy all things equal although at the moment with not as many added features as the piggies...i decided to make the refinement in the tune's basics (AFR, timing control) over some features and then stacked a jb4 to fill in in the meantime with the missing piggy features (instant datalogging/charting, progressive meth, map switching, gauge hijacking, they all work great, just disabling any jb4 related fuel and timing control)
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 09-14-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can you get pics of the pressure and EGT probes they have installed? Its preturbine correct? I'd love to at some point mimic their exact hardware arrangement on RBs to compare stock turbine vs. upgraded turbine data.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not Cobb obviously so I won't have those pics Click here to enlarge I'd love to have those EGT bungs on the manifolds man, question is where would you add them exactly on the manifold and not restrict flow as they have to protrude inside
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Next time you speak with them ask for pics. Then blow up your turbos and send them back for the limited warranty (lol) and I will mimic their hardware arrangement so you can compare data for the community. I don't think the flow will be restricted at all by their presence.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if you say blow up again or "limited" warrantyClick here to enlarge lol

sounds good man, sounds good
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    glad the misfire is gone man Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    tell me about it lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff DZ. For reference when people bring up my setup "over there", u can also remind them i ran 11.8@116mph on 16psi,pump, full weight and DR's and (I think pumpgas record) with bad timing. Just to show how much more efficient ur setup is now for a safe pumpgas tune...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya thanks man..some of those guys there don't get some things at all, mostly those that just entered the n54 scene or just dumb kids that don't know $#@! about anything but choose to argue senselessly...that thread got majorly cleaned up recently it seems
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How exactly does the Stage 3 differ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How exactly does the Stage 3 differ?
    more boost up top :-)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, although I cut a better ET (due to 60') I'd much rather have another 4mph ESPECIALLY on pump gas

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    more boost up top :-)
    yes, not much more than stage 2 though...baby steps Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Yea, although I cut a better ET (due to 60') I'd much rather have another 4mph ESPECIALLY on pump gas
    i just love the fact that even with a conservative tune that the current stage 3 experimental map is that I can hit 120 on pump gas...just shows how much more efficient the RBs are EGT/volume wise as well as how well even a much lower timing map can work on the car down low...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome results