Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Laloosh, Is Cobb trying to work an integrated meth solution that they could work into a stage 3 type tune?
    this is what I am waiting for as well

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Laloosh, Is Cobb trying to work an integrated meth solution that they could work into a stage 3 type tune?
    Don't know, I know in the past they mentioned they are not a fan of meth injection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ah, I see. How are they changing maps without flashing or does it work like a piggy in those situations?
    I'm not sure how it exactly works but the handheld tool switches between all the maps, race, pump, stock, and valet. It just can't install or uninstall the flash completely, it takes 45 min to uninstall the flash with a laptop and a booster on the battery so it won't crash, at a authorized giac dealer.

It will switch them on the fly as well.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Don't know, I know in the past they mentioned they are not a fan of meth injection.
    Interesting, if that is the case then I would doubt BMS or Vishnu will be anywhere near out of the N54 business.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Interesting, if that is the case then I would doubt BMS or Vishnu will be anywhere near out of the N54 business.
    Good point.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

It is very easy to run a boost cut failsafe if you tune to run agressive on meth....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It is very easy to run a boost cut failsafe if you tune to run agressive on meth....
    Right, mr. 5 did that with his stg 2 Giac flash I believe.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Cobb is priced too high to put anyone out of business. But sooner or later someone will come up with a free OPEN ECU version of Cobb and that makes selling tuning very difficult. Still, as of today, no one matches our features and value. We shipped 250+ new JB4s last month. An all time record for us for a given month. With more and more of these cars coming off leases I only imagine the demand for tuning continuing to increase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Understood, this still requires some deeper knowledge and understanding beyond the perceived plug and play solutions offered by BMS and Vishnu.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

It's sort of a pain in the ass but it can be done if you have access to modify all the tables. I used to tune meth safety in to Camaro/Corvette flash setups. What we did was hijack the IAT sensor which was not critical to the tuning and then map ignition against it. Then you have the methanol flow sensor programmed to output a fake IAT signal that is very cold when methanol is flowing and very hot when it isn't, thus dynamically mapping ignition. It's a bit more complicated on the N54 with the load calculations but the basic concept should work with massaging.

When we designed our CPS module we knew a few JB4 guys with large turbos, nitrous, 87 octane, etc, would want it, but the main target market for that was future flash tune owners who wanted a methanol safety. We can set it up to dynamically offset as a function of methanol flow or lack of methanol flow. I'm actually thinking about designing an all in one methanol controller/CPS module/flow sensor/in dash meth and boost gauge system. A flash owner would throw that in to the DME box and connect it to any methanol kit. It would run the methanol, allow you to enable/disable inside the car, and CPS offset when boost was over X but meth flow was under Y, etc. I can't say the market is there for it today but it may be next year.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Cobb is priced too high to put anyone out of business. But sooner or later someone will come up with a free OPEN ECU version of Cobb and that makes selling tuning very difficult. Still, as of today, no one matches our features and value. We shipped 250+ new JB4s last month. An all time record for us for a given month. With more and more of these cars coming off leases I only imagine the demand for tuning continuing to increase.
    That's the thing I've always suspected, that giac may not have a home flashing solution bc they don't want the map stolen. That's my opinion, I could be way off.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    That's the thing I've always suspected, that giac may not have a home flashing solution bc they don't want the map stolen. That's my opinion, I could be way off.
    It's just hard to develop, probably more money than they want to invest in the market. Anyone can read out GIAC's maps now if they want so I don't think it is related.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yea your prob right
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Has a JB4 been used with a 1M yet or does it work with it to your knowledge?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Has a JB4 been used with a 1M yet or does it work with it to your knowledge?
    We've tuned a bunch, at least 10-15, maybe more. The 1M has a pretty interesting boost curve from the factory. It's stronger than the 335is, more like a JB4 on map 1. We give them more top end boost and faster spool up but the mid range isn't changed very much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Anyone can read out GIAC's maps now if they want so I don't think it is related.

Yeah right! Why don't you give it a try and see where that takes you... Click here to enlarge

GIAC maps and firmware have triple encryption. Good luck cracking that... It ain't gonna happen with RadioShack components...
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Cobb is priced too high? All you have to do is look in the right places and you can get it for 700-750 no problem. Assuming ATR is free its game over. But like I said if opensource comes out, its game over for cobb as well.

In every community known to man kind, once a flash tune comes out that good and easy to install the piggy backs fade away and move onto the next new platform

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Yeah right! Why don't you give it a try and see where that takes you... Click here to enlarge

GIAC maps and firmware have triple encryption. Good luck cracking that... It ain't gonna happen with RadioShack components...
    I would not encourage anyone to read GIAC's tuning nor do I have any interest in it (as I don't see it as being superior to any other flash out there and inferior in many ways) but it is not very difficult if someone who does this for a living is interested. I am aware of how the loader encryption schemes work and how to bypass them. FWIW aside from a couple resistors I don't believe you can buy any JB components at Radio Shack. You would have to step it up to Digikey or Mouser. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Why not do it to begin with?
    DME has load targeting logic, so for Cobb it is very natural to change the parameters first at stage 1 rather than change the whole logic.

Similarly as piggies are altering the signals and have no access to the parameters in the code, it is very natural to alter the boost signal and come up with boost method.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

laloosh please direct me to those places selling for 750 im in the market for one, cant get better than 895$

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Interesting...I remember Cobb fanboys insisting repeatedly that load targeting was far superior back when the Cobb flash first hit the N54 market.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Interesting...I remember Cobb fanboys insisting repeatedly that load targeting was far superior back when the Cobb flash first hit the N54 market.
    Just proves fanboys will support almost anything.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Just proves fanboys will support almost anything.
    IMO load targetting is superior, assuming it is done right. The mazda ecu is NOTHING like the n54 ecu. Trust me I had one with a gt35 on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

would have to step it up to Digikey or Mouser. Click here to enlarge
    I prefer mouser. Ships ground and gets here overnight.
    JB4, R1 slotted and drilled, AR meth elbow, BMS/CM FSB meth, Scuba-Steveo intake scoop

Sell me your 535i/xi AR kitless downpipes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steveo Click here to enlarge
    I prefer mouser. Ships ground and gets here overnight.
    For prototyping stuff I prefer USPS, and mouser only offers priority. Digikey offers first class. Normally I'll shop Digikey first and then Mouser only if they don't have what I need. For production runs we normally buy direct unless Digikey happens to have lower pricing which does happen from time to time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast