Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I cant see why BMW would build weaker components for the E46 M3 ? the Euro E36 M3 3.2 is the ancestor to the E46..

The Euro 3,2 got bigger and hollow axels in the rear for more flex, and the gearbox did work good even down to low 9sec passes.

Someone should fit a gopro at the rear of the car filming the alignments of the wheel at a launch to se what really happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is a huge part as well. Someone need to run a bias-ply already.
    I have 15" Weld wheels on order.. should be here early next week. I will need to make some custom rear brakes but I'm also going to need to make sure the wheels even fit. They're not hubcentric iirc but they do have a true 5x120 bolt pattern (not a 5x120.7 which is common for most weld wheels). If these dont fit/work I'll have John at CCW make me some 16"s that will clear the oem rear calipers (with grinding) and go from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    I will need to make some custom rear brakes
    You could just remove your rears entirely unless you are concerned about the stopping power on the strip.

If these dont fit/work I'll have John at CCW make me some 16"s that will clear the oem rear calipers (with grinding) and go from there.
    I'm going to have CCW make me a set that clears 17's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JAWS Motorsport Click here to enlarge
    I cant see why BMW would build weaker components for the E46 M3 ? the Euro E36 M3 3.2 is the ancestor to the E46..The Euro 3,2 got bigger and hollow axels in the rear for more flex, and the gearbox did work good even down to low 9sec passes.Someone should fit a gopro at the rear of the car filming the alignments of the wheel at a launch to se what really happens.
    Just need to run stiffer springs and 2-way suspension so you can dial in the rear with high compression and rebound, dial the front in with high compression and low rebound. Should greatly assist. Just like the E36 the E46 is plagued with rear diff mount issues.. the E36 however has readily available solutions to assist with that where as the E46 does not (yet).The gearing doesn't help either.. E46 M3 has a really aggressive first, more so than the E36 (but yes the E36 has an aggressive first gear as well).The ZF in the E36 was an all around better tranny, the Getrag 420 in the E46 M3 is syncro issues, is not rebuildable (easily atleast) and parts are not readily available. Its also not as strong as the ZF in the E36... But all of that is not the reason we're not seeing 10's yet... its simply because only one or two people have given it a fair go.. and one did net a 10, on 15" slicks. He had a great 60' but didn't seem to pull the same power down the rest of the track as most of the HPF 2.5+ cars have been. I'm hoping to get mine out to Sacramento first week of March. Would go sooner (I'm picking the car up with its new tranny and clutch on Friday) but I dont' want to damage it before the Airstrip event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You could just remove your rears entirely unless you are concerned about the stopping power on the strip.I'm going to have CCW make me a set that clears 17's.
    I dont' think i'd pass tech without rears and I'd be a bit concerned about how the car would behave when on the brakes at 150mph with only 6pot brembo's in the front.. that could be hairy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    CES has come out with a solution with a Diff package from the early 90's 750il diff's. I'm planning on dropping 1 in my car once the tuning is done. I wonder if the same diff swap would work in the e46?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    CES has come out with a solution with a Diff package from the early 90's 750il diff's. I'm planning on dropping 1 in my car once the tuning is done. I wonder if the same diff swap would work in the e46?
    I think there are some similarities however I'm not sure. I know I essentially needed an E36 Diff to get the OS Giken to work in my E46. Can't remember which parts I needed or why though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hrmmmius. Thats interesting. I'm not sure where you are located in the country, but I would shoot CES a call and speak with John he maybe able to give you some good info/measurements. They are also coming out with fully different subframe I believe developed by some NASCAR shop. Really interesting stuff with e36's, and it would be interesting if some of that stuff could be made or adjusted to be used in e46's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hrmmmius. Thats interesting. I'm not sure where you are located in the country, but I would shoot CES a call and speak with John he maybe able to give you some good info/measurements. They are also coming out with fully different subframe I believe developed by some NASCAR shop. Really interesting stuff with e36's, and it would be interesting if some of that stuff could be made or adjusted to be used in e46's.
    I'm in the Bay Area (near San Jose). Where is CES located? I'm looking for a shop willing to pioneer some $#@! for these E46 M3's.. I think there will be a similar interest in dragging these cars (much like the E36's) once more parts become available and the cars are not so expensive to get into or mod..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in the Bay Area (near San Jose). Where is CES located? I'm looking for a shop willing to pioneer some $#@! for these E46 M3's.. I think there will be a similar interest in dragging these cars (much like the E36's) once more parts become available and the cars are not so expensive to get into or mod..

They are located in NC, but the owner is a very kool person and I'm sure they have customers with e46's that they could measure up for someone interested in something. Look them up on good CES motorsports. I believe they are guest vendors here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, just to be clear, an e46 m3 with equivalent power as the e92 that ran 10.6, will not run that time or close due to traction?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If traction is the problem couldn't you just swap in a solid rear axle, and throw some drag radials on. I don't see why not... people go over the top with these fully built engines making huge power, but it doesn't seem like many people put the same time and energy into getting the traction to put the power down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    If traction is the problem couldn't you just swap in a solid rear axle, and throw some drag radials on. I don't see why not... people go over the top with these fully built engines making huge power, but it doesn't seem like many people put the same time and energy into getting the traction to put the power down.
    Correct. Another thing for everyone to think about these cars were never intended to be drag cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have 15" Weld wheels on order.. should be here early next week. I will need to make some custom rear brakes but I'm also going to need to make sure the wheels even fit. They're not hubcentric iirc but they do have a true 5x120 bolt pattern (not a 5x120.7 which is common for most weld wheels). If these dont fit/work I'll have John at CCW make me some 16"s that will clear the oem rear calipers (with grinding) and go from there.
    I had some grinding done on my rear brakes to be able to fit 16's on my e36. I got a set of 328is sport rims with M/T drag radials I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet. Just test fitted them and drove maybe about 3 miles to make sure they didn't rub anywhere.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct. Another thing for everyone to think about these cars were never intended to be drag cars.
    +100 it kills me when people act like a cars performance can only be measured by how fast it goes in a straight like ( 1/4 mile, standing mile, etc...). Don't get me wrong I love seeing the times our cars put down, but they aren't drag cars there only gonna be able to be pushed so far...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ccw 16"!?! marcus your crazy!

hey your car back yet?

and can i haz shotgun while 2nd WOT? time to put that proefi traciton control to the test!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Karuza Click here to enlarge
    So, just to be clear, an e46 m3 with equivalent power as the e92 that ran 10.6, will not run that time or close due to traction?
    The E92 seems to get much better ET's for the power as it seems to be easier to launch with a more stout rear end.

E46's seem to be trying to just brute force their way in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    People talked about swapping in a solid rear axle but nobody has done it. It would take something away from the car though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The E92 seems to get much better ET's for the power as it seems to be easier to launch with a more stout rear end.

E46's seem to be trying to just brute force their way in.
    Well is that with a manual trans or the raping dct trans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well is that with a manual trans or the raping dct trans?
    The rear end geometry is the same on both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm in for the 918whp with a 10.6 E.T + 1.6x 60ft is weak sauce. That's a very good short time and a pretty poor E.T

The trap I am more flexible on, it's moving nearly 140mph and we know with cars this powerful how much the trap can fluctuate, especially if the weather is not ideal

E46 and E36 rear ends are nearly identical, however for corners the E46M's are said to be more aggressively positioned, which would make it worse for these circumstances. However, an E46 M3 is significantly more aerodynamic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The highest US trap speed for a e36m3 is about 161mph. I'm not sure what the HPF high WHP cars have trapped, but I can't remember them trapping higher then that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    People talked about swapping in a solid rear axle but nobody has done it. It would take something away from the car though.
    I agree i think it would take away from the car too, but if someone is trying to build a full blown drag car they should make the switch it would be epic!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    ccw 16"!?! marcus your crazy!

hey your car back yet?

and can i haz shotgun while 2nd WOT? time to put that proefi traciton control to the test!
    I catch a flight to portland in about 6 hours to pick the car up. Had to put a new tranny in it, blew the other one. I'm going to try for 15"'s first.. if those dont if I'll do 16"'s.. and then we can go snap some axles in 2nd WOT.

You swap the tranny, or the engine, or the rear axle, etc.. and you'll have lost my (and most people's) interest.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
    I'm in for the 918whp with a 10.6 E.T + 1.6x 60ft is weak sauce. That's a very good short time and a pretty poor E.T

The trap I am more flexible on, it's moving nearly 140mph and we know with cars this powerful how much the trap can fluctuate, especially if the weather is not ideal

E46 and E36 rear ends are nearly identical, however for corners the E46M's are said to be more aggressively positioned, which would make it worse for these circumstances. However, an E46 M3 is significantly more aerodynamic
    What's interesting is I believe HPF has netted a 1.6 60'ft in their 700rwhp M3 (T7175 on only Race gas, no meth) and landed a low 11, like 11.10 or something. This one has 916rwhp and does not have all the drag of a widebody and 345 drag radials on 18"s and it nets a mid 10? I think they just didn't have enough time with the car (Mikael). I'm sure next year they'll dial it in and get some better times. Heard a rummor he's going to a 82mm could be wrong though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wait.... how'd the tranny let go this time marcus?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast