Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My Mr. 5 intake with logs

Here's my Mr. 5 intake setup.

Click here to enlarge

I happened to have a K&N 3.5" filter in the garage so I just used it - which required a 3.5" joiner, 3.5"-3" reducer, and 3" joiner. Maybe I should have just bought a 3" filter...

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

it was pretty straightforward because of the great description of the original and the numerous other setups. The one question I have is about the fender brace that e92s have. I could squeeze the tubing btw it and the fender liner but it was VERY tight.

I removed the brace and am wondering about the effects. Has anyone else installed a Mr. 5 intake on an e92? WHat did you do about the brace? I'd appreciate any advice.

In preparation for the intake i did a log of my stock car with COBB stg 1 93 octane tune. The outside temp was 78 deg that day. It was 77 deg today when I did the intake log. I did it on the same stretch of road to try an minimize differences. The logs follow.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

You can see that the IATs with the intake are 15 deg cooler, boost is lower, I'm running more timing, it looks much more consistent, and the wgdc is lower indicating the turbos aren't working as hard. The throttle plate and boost are a little more erratic with the intake. That's not great but the stg1 tune is designed for a stock car and obviously the calibration isn't ideal for the improved air input capabilities.

Such a good solution. Thank you Mr. 5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the Mr. 5 intake is different by being placed low in the front bumper?

Quality info, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So the Mr. 5 intake is different by being placed low in the front bumper?

Quality info, thanks.
    Mr. 5 is a long time member over at e90. he even became a mod at some point. he has made several helpful threads including the wastegate rattle fix thread, which helped me on stock turbos. more on topic, his intake thread shows him modify the stock air box just as the OP did, carving a hole in the air box and running a pipe to a filter. ive always liked mr. 5 because of his open nature and helpful personality. i thought you'd like the small back story as im sure you dont, or maybe have never, frequent e90.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Mr. 5 is a long time member over at e90. he even became a mod at some point. he has made several helpful threads including the wastegate rattle fix thread, which helped me on stock turbos. more on topic, his intake thread shows him modify the stock air box just as the OP did, carving a hole in the air box and running a pipe to a filter. ive always liked mr. 5 because of his open nature and helpful personality. i thought you'd like the small back story as im sure you dont, or maybe have never, frequent e90.
    Yes, yes, I'm familiar with him.

Never have frequented E90? Heh, they blocked me from the forced induction section over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, yes, I'm familiar with him.

Never have frequented E90? Heh, they blocked me from the forced induction section over there.
    ok cool, yeah i wasn't sure because you seemed uncertain about the intake. makes more sense now that i understand you're banned from that section. its so stupid the drama... sorry to thread jack boom, carry on, nice results Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like the Mr. 5 intake. Looks so much better than havinv a dci. I just hate the look of the stock intake mani when you have dci.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's easily the solution out for an intake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice results boom, very cool that the intake actually does make a difference.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so this is now any worse than DINAN cai ? or dinan cai is still a little better what you guys think ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess they are the same, the mr.5 intake looks stock though the Dinan intake isnt doesnt, I prefer the mr.5 intake. But it requires cutting in the stock intake and I am not sure I want that.

But getting the DCI out of there would make things look good again.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can buy used airboxes on the forums. Got mine for $70 shipped. As far as the dinan comparo, my filter is way down in the fender well in direct flow of the grill. Hydrolock is not an issue because if the whoever thing was submerged, the oem airbox inlet will provide the least resistance for airflow. I'm thrilled with the results - and driving through 10+ inches of rain currently in northern VA without issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a true CAI, as the induction is from the bottom of the grill and no engine heat is affecting the IAT. Probably the best solution!

I had thought about this but never thought there would enough room to squeeze one down there!

The G37s intakes are on various sides of the bumper, sucking in air. This is similar, except only on one side.

Temps drops are nicely seen on the chart! Just worried about what the effects are when it rains? =/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got my mr.5 intake on today, I love it Click here to enlarge same if not a touch better performance than DCI but significantly less noisy which was mine main reason for it..still using one of the DCI cones Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    You can see that the IATs with the intake are 15 deg cooler, boost is lower, I'm running more timing, it looks much more consistent, and the wgdc is lower indicating the turbos aren't working as hard. The throttle plate and boost are a little more erratic with the intake. That's not great but the stg1 tune is designed for a stock car and obviously the calibration isn't ideal for the improved air input capabilities.

Such a good solution. Thank you Mr. 5.
    as for the timing, i have a question. it looks like cyl. #1 was the "unhappiest" of the cyl.'s. according to current popular opinion, i thought it was th opposite? many are claiming cyl 1 shows the best?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't really know what to make of the individual cylinder timing other than they're not the same and that's not great. I pulled the logs directly from the AP so they're numbering may be different that what was described previously. In any event, the improvement is pretty obvious. I'll be doing logs with my new HPF FMIC and hopefully things will only get better. I must say that I don't like seeing timing with drops in it. I know Cobb said they don't mean anything but they have to mean something...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the input, i was curious on your take on it.

question though, but i think i already know the answer, can any engine ever have the same timing on every cyl everytime though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Probably not. I'm just happy to see a more cohesive set of values. It's pretty clear to me that the knock sensors were active and I'd prefer to keep them quiet as much as possible. I did a 3rd gear pull after installing my HPF fmic and saw one dropout on cyl 4 with the sam tune and 71 deg amb. It was far more humid and the car was running 5 deg more timing at the. End of the run but it was only one gear versus 1-4. Hard to say that was knock but I don't know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the input, i was curious on your take on it.

question though, but i think i already know the answer, can any engine ever have the same timing on every cyl everytime though?
    If you're running within the required optimum operating conditions for the tune then timing will always be maxed across all cylinders and there will be zero timing corrections across all 6. Depending on the tune you can go aggressive or you can go moderate or mild. Mild tunes suck, we'd probably never run them but they'll have the least corrections as they're just not aggresssive enough timing/boost/AFR wise. Moderate tunes will be ok for your average daily drivers in that the DME will apply timing corrections due to rise in say IATs as you do 1-2-3-4 gear pulls as the timing curve might be just a touch on the aggressive side so that when you do a sipirited single 3rd gear pull it'd do the max with minimal if any timing corrections. Now aggressive (as in race tunes) will depend highly on octane/environment/conditions and if all of those aren't ideal it'll knock the living lights from the engine (i.e. running a race tune at 20psi with 91 octane and no meth a bunch of times back to back).

In terms of cyl1 being the happiest or not, it really varies and can't be pinned on any particular cylinder in a general sense. On my car for example I very often see either cyl2 or cyl4 having most often being corrected. This could be that they have the best compression of all 6 and will run the most aggressive of all 6 and the DME will accordingly have to add timing corrections from one pull to the next to them more often so than others.
    Click here to enlarge