Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thumbs up Virtual Dyno Software - pretty damn cool! :)

http://www.bradbarnhill.com/projects/VirtualDyno/

Supports the Cobb and JB4 logs so far...i googled the specs for the 2008 E90 335i 6 speed manual and provided them over to Brad (creator of Virtual Dyno)..he turned it around VERY fast, adding the car's profile into the software and supporting the logs out of Cobb and JB4...go ahead and send him your procede or whatever else tune you can log with and he'll add it to his database so you can just do a 3rd gear run, log it, drop the csv into the software and see where the car stands power/torque wise...its pretty damn accurate too and fairly well respected in other online communities already...

I'll be posting a bunch of virtual dynos here in this thread over the next few days running both Cobb and the recently acquired JB4 which I'm using to run more top end boost and progressive meth on RBs while waiting for Cobb's stage 3 release...

You're welcome to post your virtual dynos here as well and maybe we can turn this into a sticky if it turns out well...no results are too low so don't be shy Click here to enlarge

P.S. If you don't see your car in the list of profiles just google the specs on your car and send it to Brad Barnhill at:

bradbarnhill at hotmail dot com

with the following mandatory info on your car (below is an example for my 2008 335i E90 6 speed manual with 275/30/19 rear tires...). You'll need to get the exact numbers (google them) for frontal area, drag coefficient, gear ratios in order for the software to be as correct as possible, estimates aren't good enough:

<CarMake>BMW</CarMake>
    <CarModel>E90</CarModel>
    <CarSubModel>335i N54</CarSubModel>
    <StartYear>2007</StartYear>
    <EndYear>2010</EndYear>
    <Weight>3549</Weight>
    <TransTypeManual>true</TransTypeManual>
    <TransGear3>1.582</TransGear3>
    <TransGear4>1.192</TransGear4>
    <FinalGearRatio>3.08</FinalGearRatio>
    <DragCoefficient>0.30</DragCoefficient>
    <FrontalArea>23.36</FrontalArea>
    <TireDiameter>25.5</TireDiameter>

Here's my virtual dyno on JB4 last night running about 15psi, no CPS, on pump gas and 80/20 meth

Click here to enlarge

Now compare that with the run that was done on RBs with 75/25 meth in pretty much same conditions inside the dyno shop back in March. The car was running the Procede V5 with about the same boost and also no CPS. This Dynojet (Champion Motors) is well known to the N54 community in the Toronto, Canada area and many of us have tons of dynos from the place so its 100% legit.

Click here to enlarge

More to follow...i love this tool! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i like. ill give it a shot when car is back

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Version 1.1.3 should support jb4 logs out of the box...currently i have to edit the csv a bit to remove the top few heading rows and create a time column scaled by dividing the timestamp by 10 in order for it to work..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Been using it for road tuning for years, turn the smoothing down a bit and make sure your delta weight isn't too fat. You may have trim here or there to find out what makes it close to your local dynojet - this is what I use for customers who don't want the dyno time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Ya, its awesome man! Click here to enlarge can't believe I didn't know about this software before, its really helpful...in terms of smoothing I think I'll be using 4 going forward, 5 was a bit much I think..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

that is pretty cool
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    currently i have to edit the csv a bit to remove the top few heading rows and create a time column scaled by dividing the timestamp by 10 in order for it to work..
    More info? I tried this with no success.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steveo Click here to enlarge
    More info? I tried this with no success.
    for now i prep the file a bit so virtual dyno would read it...remove top 4 rows, leave column headings there and add a time column in front of the timestamp column through excel setting the value to timestamp/10 to get the time in seconds

Here's a few more virtual dynos at various boost levels..i'll do a stock baseline map tomorrow...map1 on the jb4 and its wgdc with RBs pushes more boost than targeted (instead of 13.5 its hitting 14psi and not dropping to 9 but drops to 12psi) so closer to what map2 targets midrage in a way and a bit more boost up top than 11psi

here it is, roughly in line hp wise with what was observed on a real dynojet back in March

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

thats really cool, now i need to get a tool to log my car etc..
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems like it might be close. I didnt have a good 3rd gear log, so I used a 2nd gear and modified the car to match up in C:\ProgramData (win7). Run as an admin in win7/vista or else it won't write the car file correctly as you edit them. I have included the correct car settings for 2nd/3rd gear and 3/4 gear below. This is for a n54 535 running a 225/50. I got the following graph from a 2nd gear pull with 15.2 lbs boost max.

2nd gear ratio
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <CarDataset xmlns="http://tempuri.org/CarDataset.xsd">
      <CarParameters>
        <CarMake>BMW</CarMake>
        <CarModel>535i</CarModel>
        <CarSubModel>N54-corrected</CarSubModel>
        <StartYear>2008</StartYear>
        <EndYear>2008</EndYear>
        <Weight>3909</Weight>
        <TransTypeManual>false</TransTypeManual>
        <TransGear3>2.34</TransGear3>
        <TransGear4>1.52</TransGear4>
        <FinalGearRatio>3.64</FinalGearRatio>
        <DragCoefficient>0.29</DragCoefficient>
        <TireDiameter>25.85</TireDiameter>
      </CarParameters>
    </CarDataset>
    3rd gear ratio
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
    <CarDataset xmlns="http://tempuri.org/CarDataset.xsd">
      <CarParameters>
        <CarMake>BMW</CarMake>
        <CarModel>535i</CarModel>
        <CarSubModel>N54</CarSubModel>
        <StartYear>2008</StartYear>
        <EndYear>2010</EndYear>
        <Weight>3909</Weight>
        <TransTypeManual>false</TransTypeManual>
        <TransGear3>1.52</TransGear3>
        <TransGear4>1.14</TransGear4>
        <FinalGearRatio>3.64</FinalGearRatio>
        <DragCoefficient>0.29</DragCoefficient>
        <TireDiameter>25.85</TireDiameter>
      </CarParameters>
    </CarDataset>
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Here's a few more virtual dynos at various boost levels..i'll do a stock baseline map tomorrow...map1 on the jb4 and its wgdc with RBs pushes more boost than targeted (instead of 13.5 its hitting 14psi and not dropping to 9 but drops to 12psi) so closer to what map2 targets midrage in a way and a bit more boost up top than 11psi
    thanks for the info, on your meth map you start tapering at ~5500? kinda early no? i feel like now that your gremlin is gone and done with, you should stretch out her legs and let the boost hold until near redline!
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    thanks for the info, on your meth map you start tapering at ~5500? kinda early no? i feel like now that your gremlin is gone and done with, you should stretch out her legs and let the boost hold until near redline!
    I know you keep saying that but there's a point of diminishing returns and that's actually something I'll be working on with this tool to track down...just holding say 18-20psi of boost to redline doesn't mean you'll get a flat torque curve, far from it with the stock motor actually...no matter what you do with boost the torque will be dropping off and raising boost past a certain point with the stock head will just produce more heat and more chance of knock...for sake of argument take a look at the recent Cobb stage 2 virtual dynos some people have posted (no official dynos yet but these are proving to be pretty reliable given "proper" setup)...cobb has determined that for stage 2 on stock turbos and full boltons that 18psi up to 5300rpm is just fine on pump 93 without meth then they taper a full 9.5-10psi towards redline hitting about 8.5-9psi at 7000rpm...there are really good reasons for that...they've done a considerable amount of testing on and off the dyno, testing things like exhaust backpressures/EGTs with catted vs. catless exhaust, stock vs. aftermarket fmic, etc. and after all that they've determined that with lower timing than stock down low (down to 2-4 degrees down really low) and a touch lower timing that stock up top (around 12.5) + the above described boost curve and some VANOS changes they're able to push just shy of 400whp on just pump 93 gas...this is the type of tuning that should be happening ALL the time, not just blindly flatlining boost from the initial stab of throttle all the way to redline...heat up top is VERY bad for engine internals and is definitely not something I'll entertain on my car...trying to apply as much of adjust/test/repeat methodology here...of course testing with a flat boost curve is also something that'll be done but from what I've seen already holding 20psi to redline will provide the same power as peaking 20psi at 5800 rpm and then slowly tapering to about 14psi...that's what i'm trying to get to the bottom of over the next couple of weeks playing around with logs/adjustments and this virtual dyno software Click here to enlarge

question for you, try the virtual dyno at 20psi held to redline and post up the dyno graph, then do the same at 20psi held to 6k rpm tapering to say 15psi at redline and post that as well...i think you'll quickly realize the pros/cons of doing it given stock cylinder head/cam limitations
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

just holding say 18-20psi of boost to redline doesn't mean you'll get a flat torque curve, far from it with the stock motor actually...
    i never said you will get a flat torque curve, torque drops off at some point no matter what on this motor at the moment, even with upp'd turbos. until we can really change the powerband with a single or something. that is well known. however, you can mitigate that drop off from being sharp to smooth. if you hold the boost to ~6500 i assure you you'll have more power up top, given your turbos can flow it, which they should be able to being upgraded. i can see from your graph the power seems to drop off slightly then level out, i'd love to see that replicated on a real dyno lol.

of course testing with a flat boost curve is also something that'll be done but from what I've seen already holding 20psi to redline will provide the same power as peaking 20psi at 5800 rpm and then slowly tapering to about 14psi...that's what i'm trying to get to the bottom of over the next couple of weeks playing around with logs/adjustments and this virtual dyno software

question for you, try the virtual dyno at 20psi held to redline and post up the dyno graph, then do the same at 20psi held to 6k rpm tapering to say 15psi at redline and post that as well...i think you'll quickly realize the pros/cons of doing it given stock cylinder head/cam limitations
    if thats the case the RB turbos are not up to the level i thought they were. i dont want to get into an asr/rb debate, but if you notice little to no difference holding boost up top its not the motor, cams and internals that is the issue (cams can vary timing ~30 degrees in 100rpm from what i remember reading, not fast enough?), its the compressor/turbine assembly. you have data showing on your rb's that 20psi to near redline is nearly the same as 20psi->14psi? i'd love to hear what LM has to say about that lol....

i may try this virtual dyno thing when more procede people are having success integrating it and there's a written method to do it. i haven't logged post new mani so it should be interesting. and i dont think i can vary the boost by rpm for your request test, maybe with the crazy new software but UT or user torque is the target and then you set an overboost limit, so it will continue to attempt to hold said target without taper (more effectively on upp'd turbos).
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

i never said you will get a flat torque curve, torque drops off at some point no matter what on this motor at the moment, even with upp'd turbos. until we can really change the powerband with a single or something. that is well known. however, you can mitigate that drop off from being sharp to smooth. if you hold the boost to ~6500 i assure you you'll have more power up top, given your turbos can flow it, which they should be able to being upgraded. i can see from your graph the power seems to drop off slightly then level out, i'd love to see that replicated on a real dyno lol.

if thats the case the RB turbos are not up to the level i thought they were. i dont want to get into an asr/rb debate, but if you notice little to no difference holding boost up top its not the motor, cams and internals that is the issue (cams can vary timing ~30 degrees in 100rpm from what i remember reading, not fast enough?), its the compressor/turbine assembly. you have data showing on your rb's that 20psi to near redline is nearly the same as 20psi->14psi? i'd love to hear what LM has to say about that lol....

i may try this virtual dyno thing when more procede people are having success integrating it and there's a written method to do it. i haven't logged post new mani so it should be interesting. and i dont think i can vary the boost by rpm for your request test, maybe with the crazy new software but UT or user torque is the target and then you set an overboost limit, so it will continue to attempt to hold said target without taper (more effectively on upp'd turbos).
    Flatline 18psi to 6500rpm and post a before/after dyno with 18psi tapered like I described...otherwise both our comments are just based on just pure speculation...let's discuss based on testing and results a bit more...i haven't seen a single set of data off your car with those turbos...once you can post something we can discuss that as well

i'm not claiming anything at this point in terms of boost vs. hp up top, i'm saying tons more testing needs to be done to prove/disprove anything and I won't just run a flat 20psi across the top just because I can, and I definitely can Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I hope a lot of people participate with this. Looking forward to the procede enabled release. Higher boost will definitely result in more power, but the difference will be interesting as VE continues to drop with boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

id love to chime in once i have my car back to test it on as DZ and i have basically same setup but AT/MT and you and i have same setup but ASR/RB AT/MT.

post data, not speculation though please. would be great to have a real dyno and avirtual data dyno from an ASR user Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Flatline 18psi to 6500rpm and post a before/after dyno with 18psi tapered like I described...otherwise both our comments are just based on just pure speculation...let's discuss based on testing and results a bit more...i haven't seen a single set of data off your car with those turbos...once you can post something we can discuss that as well

i'm not claiming anything at this point in terms of boost vs. hp up top, i'm saying tons more testing needs to be done to prove/disprove anything and I won't just run a flat 20psi across the top just because I can, and I definitely can Click here to enlarge
    i'd love to try your test but i dont know if its possible to purposefully taper the boost with the procede is it? the turbine, compressor and piping will decide taper. its just UT (target) and an overboost limit. i dont have a little x-y table with rpm and boost like the jb interface right?

you're right that we're speculating but i just find it hard to believe tapering boost has little to no effect on power output versus holding your target to near redline. and i agree much more testing has to be done, im getting busier by the day but i will find time to slot in a dyno at some point, i promiss.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Higher boost will definitely result in more power, but the difference will be interesting as VE continues to drop with boost.
    my thoughts exactly.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    id love to chime in once i have my car back to test it on as DZ and i have basically same setup but AT/MT and you and i have same setup but ASR/RB AT/MT.

post data, not speculation though please. would be great to have a real dyno and avirtual data dyno from an ASR user Click here to enlarge
    right, we're all very similarly modded. and now that lamia too has asr upgrades, he can be thrown in the mix. at some point in the future we'll make a video of me vs him, should be a very close race.

ill post data when i have it, ive never hidden anything from you guys. i tell the community all the bad updates with the good. the dyno is my first priority for the car once i have her back. and if for whatever reason i cannot (unlikely), due to some unforeseen horrible circumstance, lamia will be your man first, we have almost the exact same mods, only difference is i have an lsd and he has a lwfw. ill also take a log at some point when the virtual dyno software accepts procede logs seamlessly. have you guys been logging/sending on pump+meth or racegas?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

You can taper boost with procede by using the new 5.2 software and maps. Shiv is suppose to post a comprehensive tutorial, but you can do it without. The stock turbo maps do taper boost... not sure about upped turbo maps though.

I got the virtual dyno to work with procede... just take your 3rd gear portion of the log while WOT and delete headers... it's already in csv format. couldn't figure out how to plot boost or AFR. I just used throttle, rpm, and time and deleted everything else.
    here's my posted plot: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10350105&postcount=82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

You can make the tool work with any log that captures timestamp, tps and rpms if you have a basic understanding of excel.

Oddjob, post up some Procede logs and I will put them through the tool for you. As stated by Dzenno, we have seen 0 data from you or any other ASR turbo user.

I would personally love to see some logs from the ASR turbos as it would really help the community understand more about this option. It seems the RBs are getting all of the air time partly because there are more units our there and largely because their users seem to be willing to post data and fact.
    Last edited by Irishace; 09-04-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Oddjob, post up some Procede logs and I will put them through the tool for you.
    will do, thanks for doing the 'work' for me. i get my car back Tuesday and will log the testing run then, seems easy enough, what parameters would you like to have? I assume Throttle position, Boost, RPM, Actual Ignition, AFR, anything else? oh and in 3rd gear? 4th? matters right?
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 09-04-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

will do, thanks for doing the 'work' for me. i get my car back Tuesday and will log the testing run then, seems easy enough, what parameters would you like to have? I assume Throttle position, Boost, RPM, Actual Ignition, AFR, anything else? oh and in 3rd gear? 4th? matters right?
    Add the gear too please, do a full WOT run from 2500 - 7000 rpms in 3rd and that should do the trick.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

ok cool, and the parameters I mentioned will suffice? or would you like anything else monitored.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really hope you get the logs here. It seems like anything related to ASR turbos is Gris-Gris. Every time I look for more info, the trail ends.
    JB4, R1 slotted and drilled, AR meth elbow, BMS/CM FSB meth, Scuba-Steveo intake scoop

Sell me your 535i/xi AR kitless downpipes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Maybe Terry could add whp an tq to the jb4 logs directly?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

ok cool, and the parameters I mentioned will suffice? or would you like anything else monitored.
    Those will suffice. Thanks, look forward to seeing the beast!
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast