Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Just found out i have the BMW Thick Head gasket 1,52mm - minus 0,3 CR

middle of the list Packning 11127557266
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=15&lang=en

Click here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's cool, thing is do you know how far the shop has machined the head at the bottom face when they did the reinstall? The two may have evened each other out..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    That's cool, thing is do you know how far the shop has machined the head at the bottom face when they did the reinstall? The two may have evened each other out..
    nope no idea :-(
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Or if they machined it at all. I think re-decking is only done if needed. As long as the block isn't warped, it probably isn't necessary.

I wonder if these gaskets can be reliably stacked. Some people have had success with that method. Not sure about doing it on a forced inducted engine, though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i am pretty sure they re-deck it.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Or if they machined it at all. I think re-decking is only done if needed. As long as the block isn't warped, it probably isn't necessary.

I wonder if these gaskets can be reliably stacked. Some people have had success with that method. Not sure about doing it on a forced inducted engine, though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the weirdest thing that some cars have thicker head gaskets then others. I mean, why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if these gaskets can be reliably stacked. Some people have had success with that method.
    Wow, didn't even think of that. Interesting suggestion to say the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did they mill your head? How many CC from chamber were removed with head porting? I always like to get static CR at least in to the mid-low 9s if the compressor is large enough. It allows for more stable and forgiving tuning in my experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I've done that with copper gaskets using head studs on LT1/LS1s but leaking was always a problem. On those cars, we could swap the heads in a few hours so it was less of a headache. How long does a head swap take on the N54? I haven't tried it yet. It is tempting to try removing material from the chamber and cleaning up the port work a bit. Maybe if I ever do large turbos. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Some interesting info on http://www.headgasket.com/faq.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Running 9:1 compression pistons should not affect the effectiveness or spray pattern of DI should it?

A piston set + nice head studs + PAW head/cams + GTX3582 with the tuning/fueling figured out would make a killer n54 setup and I don't see a reason it wouldn't be reliable with the OEM DME timing/knock/AF safety logic in place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DI should be fine but you'd need more ignition advance of course. You'd make up for that by running proportionally more boost... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    The DI should be fine but you'd need more ignition advance of course. You'd make up for that by running proportionally more boost... Click here to enlarge
    Exactly what I expected to hear. Surprised nobody with my same thought process but more money than I has not done it yet!