Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Feramic Clutch Driveability

i just wanted to touch on a few things for anyone who recently acquired a hpf feramic clutch or is just frustrated with daily driving with one.
    i've just broken in a stage 3 clutch on a 2.5 smg.
    after going thru a stage 2 clutch and now this stage 3 i've noticed a couple things that'll help alleviate the headache of daily driving with a feramic clutch and smg transmission.

even in stock form with the organic clutch i remember the smg being a pretty quick/high rev to 2nd gear in order to shift smoothly. the feramic clutch magnifies the quirkyness of smg so things are less forgiving if you're inattentive or not confident/deliberate with throttle and shifting.
    these are just a few things that've worked for me while daily driving...

1st gear...
    peddle - if you don't want shutter. doesn't matter if your going to mash it or just smoothly pull thru the light. it needs a higher stall because the gear is so steep and the high clamp load of the clutch. also, if you can let the car in front roll out a few car lengths so you can open up 1st enough to shift to 2nd.

gridlock/traffic....
    although constant standing starts in 1st is a nightmare in any manual transmission its even more fun with feramic!
    peddle outta first, if you need to shift to 2nd do so but pop it to N instead of constantly dshifting to 1st. try and coast as much as you can in neutral. these cars hate traffic/heat.

1st - 2nd...
    wind out 1st atleast to 3500 if not 4000 and don't temporarily back off throttle position as you would instinctively from driving a 6spd. rather hold that position and use the dead weight of your foot for resistance while the transmission shifts gears.
    2nd- 3rd...
    much the same as 1st to 2nd but much more tame. hold the throttle position and use your foot's weight for resistance.

4th - 6th...
    meh - its pretty much like stock from here (atleast under 4k rpm Click here to enlarge )

downshifting...

if your going to throttle blip down a gear don't be a pussy... blip n push through or atleast blip and hold position. if you stab down a gear and let off thats alot of strain on the tranny.

misc...
    once the tranny is fulled warmed up it should be very responsive but smg is still slow imo, that being said downshift slightly before you want to engage.
    same goes for upshifts under WOT.
    also, fastest way to engage 3rd from 5th or 6th is to switch to auto mode, stab it (it'll auto-grab 3rd) and than bump it back to manual before auto upshfts for you.

basically deliberate/firm throttle positioning in the first 3 gears is essential to making it look easy under slow driving conditions Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thread title edited.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oh, its not a ceramic clutch.
    http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part..._Stage_3/16377

also, forcefedm3 and funkboy both made good points in the past about getting your smg recalibration done right after some spirited driving. i beleive there are 4 programs iirc.
    i've had good results doing the recal for 1st gear shuttering. it doesn't seem to help much with anything else but thats a tremendous help when you think about daily driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice post! title should be edited back....lol it is feramic sticky

also, the best way, IMO for calibration is to drive the $#@! out of the car both before and right after calibration. the first gear shuttering is much less if you really step on the gas from a stop right after calibration.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    nice post! title should be edited back....lol it is feramic sticky
    Damn it, my bad Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, great information. My stage 3 car has been driving me nuts because of the SMG. This seems like some good advice...might have to go out for a spin. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    Man, great information. My stage 3 car has been driving me nuts because of the SMG. This seems like some good advice...might have to go out for a spin. lol
    I thought you sold that car, didn't you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I thought you sold that car, didn't you?
    I sold the stage 2.5 and recently bought a stage 3 with smg. http://www.flickr.com/photos/42232982@N04/6092152435/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    yea, these are just tips for slow ass daily driving i thought about after a hellish experience i had in SF. i sometimes hate driving this car at the mercy of the speed of vehicles in front of me but like mine i'm sure the stage 3 clutch in your car performs flawlessly under 3/4 to WOT Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    yea, these are just tips for slow ass daily driving i thought about after a hellish experience i had in SF. i sometimes hate driving this car at the mercy of the speed of vehicles in front of me but like mine i'm sure the stage 3 clutch in your car performs flawlessly under 3/4 to WOT Click here to enlarge
    Haha. Yes, a blast at 3/4 or wot, just not so much in normal around town driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    These clutch's are really great, we have installed on N/A M3's (stage 1) and full blown HPF cars (Stage 2.5+), not to mention there is also an E36 application for all you high boost guys.

What I'm most impressed with is pedal feel, its not too stiff and not to soft and overall durability seems to be at par with the rest of the industry if not better as we have yet to have change an HPF clutch out due to wear.

Anyone needing any HPF clutch application please feel free to reach me! We are working special pricing for all BB members!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lutzperfautoinc Click here to enlarge
    Anyone needing any HPF clutch application please feel free to reach me! We are working special pricing for all BB members!
    That is what I like to hear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That is what I like to hear.
    Anything we can do for the community we would gladly like to extend a hand!