Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6th gear deceleration vibration

My car is at the dealer. I have a bad vibration in 6th gear during deceleration. Dealer just told me there was bulletin out for a diff problem with our cars. They said my transmission is shot and is rattling and making noises while accel in low rpm ranges. I told them I have a LWFW and that solved that issue. I was just seeing if anyone had this vibration on decel issue. It rattles my whole back seat and center console. They may pull the rear diff and see if that solves it.

Does anyone think it could be the LWFW?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dealer just said it's a bearing in the transmission but they will not fix it because of my catless dps. Absolutely redic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

the dealer will do everything in their power to cost you the most money. and if you had it done under warranty, cost BMWNA the most money (labor, parts, etc). you realize what they're going to charge you to bring down the tranny, tear it open, fix the supposed issue, button it up and re-install? and it may not even fix the issue. $#@! the dealer, they are honestly pulling ideas out of their ass, i have yet to meet a truly competent and knowledgeable (more than my understanding of the n54 at least) SA or tech. go to a respected local shop.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im under warranty though. Im trying to find a dual mass fly wheel im going to go oem or an act and see if thats whats going on .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

They said diff first and then a bearing? Didn't the symptoms match to those described in the diff prob bulletin? What are the symptoms of each?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What state are you in? try and find a good shop that track preps bmws and they will have a ton more driveline experience than the stealership. You might get lucky and still be able to fix it under warranty.

Rear diffs tend to howl or whine under accel or decel and it's road speed dependent if it's the diff. If it's only noticeable on decel that's a little hard to guess but if the diff or driveshaft vibrates enough that you feel it in the whole chassis of the car and it will very quickly wear out the driveshaft to trans bushing or bearing in the back of the transmission and may even cause it to leak oil.

If you have the means, get under the car and jack up the rear and look at everything- or just go to BMw track prep shop and they'll likely find the problem right away. Even if you have to pay them $100-$150 just to diagnose the car properly, that's worth it IMO. You'll have a lot more leverage once you know the problem and can check to see if there are any TSBs on it.

Good luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I did a quick google search and across platforms a lot of people actually had this problem from just poorly balanced or out of round tires or rims, warped brake rotors even loose wheel lug nuts. Did you touch the wheels and tires recently, hit anything. How quickly did the problem come on?

Only a few people reporting the problem had issues with the CV joints or driveshaft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Always make sure you to bring the lube before going to a dealer.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does not seem to be so geAr dependent as I thought. I'm thinking its the lwfw or tires.