Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Auto Insurance People. or been in this situation..

So rear-ened when picking the car up from CamberToe the other day:

Click here to enlarge

its not bad.

so, im trying to use the other guys insurance to pay. I took a cell phone pic of his DL, registration and insurance card. but he wouldnt stay for cops, which they wouldnt stop/come anyway (in NY, tried flagging down 2 that rolled past with no luck) so he took off. Im 2+ hrs away from home, I took off.

called my insurance, USAA, called his, progressive.

as of right now, My official appt is monday. i took it in today to get an idea. the agent says based on "visual" its about $15-1700 worth of damage. i cant see how its so low. But he also says they cant do anything until they talk to him to find out liability. OR, the agent has 30 days to make a decision.

Does any of that sound right? I mean, the $#@!er hits me, i have cell phone picks of his info, and they still want to drag this out? im not mad about getting hit, but $#@!, i want my car fixed.

oh, next he says, they are gonna use refurbished parts, and my PDC sensors will just be swapped over. AM i dumb for calling BS on that $#@!?

so next i decide if its getting painted, might as well upgrade, so i chose this list of pieces:

http://www.modbargains.com/BMW-E92-M...ear-Bumper.htm

http://www.modbargains.com/E92-M3-Re...ide-Skirts.htm

http://www.modbargains.com/E92-V-CSL...rbon-Fiber.htm

and

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=3372

now, the trunk i may not get, or i may get the trunk and pay for taillights out of pocket in a month or so since id rather have all the painting done at once.

so another question is, how do you get the places to get and paint aftermarket/ptional equipment rather than the same OEM stuff?

and lastly, i have a rare color, that is hard to match. I know this because any of my aftermarket pieces you can see a slight variation in shading of the SGM color. so if the $#@!sticks dont properly match the rear and new pieces can i get them to paint the whole car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, this is a little bit of a different story - although he rear-ended YOU - you cannot assume 0% liability. I am not going to delve to deep into this, but I reccomend reading the following:

http://www.caraccidentattorneys.com/...-end-fault.htm

If you consider yourself to be 100% at no fault, it was probably a bad idea (although I understand the reason) to let him go. The issue is, he can now say "well, he was driving like a maniac, forced me over a lane, etc..." assuming no witnesses - both insurance companies will probably split the bill (his pays his, yours pays yours)... It all depends on what he says to his and your insurance company - and of course what you say. They will make a decision. You can always take it to court if it comes down to it.

The reason I am replying - is because I was in a very similar situation a long time ago in college. Again, I don't want to delve into it - but it came down to a 50/50 split.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    his car is fine, just a turn signal light on his '96 merc. he didnt copy my info or anything of the sort. I know im at 0% fault. i was left lane on the highway, car ahead of me stopped for jammed traffic, so did i, he tried not stopping and clipped me attempting to change lanes.. im surprised he got off the exit and stopped at all really.. but ill read what you linked to here. thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He left the scene
    No police report either. It depends if he admits it.
    They should cover it all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear that happened. I have rear ended a person before but never went through insurance.. Not much help but it sounds like it wasn't your fault, again its going to probably be up to what he says to his insurance and you go from there.. probably to court. Did you get shots of his car, and both of your cars parked very close to each other so you can see how it happened in relation?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@!ty situation but at least the car isn't totaled and you are ok. It will all get straightened out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    $#@!ty situation but at least the car isn't totaled and you are ok. It will all get straightened out.
    i wish it was, ive found 3 DCT M's that would be on their way to me..or should I say Gintani..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i wish it was, ive found 3 DCT M's that would be on their way to me..or should I say Gintani..
    Doesn't matter where you take them, a DCT M3 is a giant step forward to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only advice I would have any experience with is to take it to your own shop and avoid their 'premier' or 'recommended' shops, no matter how inconvenient they make it. It's a right you have so why not take it to a quality shop you trust and get the work done the right way the first time
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well, im done dealing with progressive, they are ass hats and dont seem to want to get anything done, and now lowballing as well, visual is down to $1300 damage, and want to used refurbished $#@! and re-use as much as they can. that along with i would HAVE to wait 30 days to even get started since d-bag wont answer the phone for them to talk to..

im going to my guy that ive used for years, who happens to be a USAA shop, so im dropping it off on monday and awaiting callbacks for prices on the updated exterior parts i want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Help me out here, who's agent gave you the 1300-1700 estimate? Was it theirs or was it yours? If you took it to your own insurance company they will always low ball you no matter what. When I had my car hit I took it to my insurance agent first and I got like a 1000 dollar repair estimate. Took the car to a shop where it was going to be fixed and set up an appointment with the guy who hit me. They sent an independent appraising guy and he cut me a check for $3700. Done. It did take a while, a couple of phone calls, from the other company trying to "determine fault." Remember insurance is a massive scam, they get money from nothing and it's mandated by the government that you have to have insurance.

The nature of the phone calls were very sneaky and trying to have you admit fault even when you are 100% fault free. The best thing to do is pretend you have blinders on and that you didn't see or hear anything and you just got hit out of nowhere, totally unexpected and startling you. When you get hit in the rear it's always 100% the other guys fault but the insurance company will try and somehow put blame on you. They will ask you things like, "did you hear, or see anything right before the crash, like a shadow out of the corner of your eye......hmmmm?"(serious).

Just to show you how $#@!ed up the insurance companies work here is another scenario. I had this old ass caddy when I was a kid, and I parked it in front of my house (legal). I live on a corner and there is a 1 way stop sign on it. There was a crash as one of the people ran the stop sign and pushed the other car into my stationary caddy. Clear cut scenario right? The $#@! who ran the stop sign is at 100% fault. Somehow, and I have no idea how, but the insurance companies derived that it was 80/20 and I received 2 checks from 2 different insurance companies with the reflecting amounts. How the $#@!?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that'll buff out Click here to enlarge

but seriously that sucks man. hope you get everything sorted out quickly and easily

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    progressive is his insurance Co. and they started at 15-1700 on vusual damage, but it dropped to 1300 by the time i git the write-up yesterday. and they cant even begin to offer or start pulling parts off until liabilty is placed, or pay for a rental, or do anything really, so im going with my company

USAA is mine, ive never had an issue with usaa. $#@! progressive, seriously

oh, also, within minutes of getting to my guy this morning to talk, he noticed that the whole right rear fender/quarter panel was flexed with a crease that he showed and i could feel, so there goes $#@!sticks estimate.. im not dealing with them ever..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ouch! Hope you get this all taken care of =( If it were possible, I'd get as much money from the other insurance co. as possible and then grab an mtech rear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's best to go with USAA and have them deal with Progressive. Have a USAA rep look at your car and tell him what you want to do. Most of the time if an aftermarket part is cheaper, they won't care. The Progressive rep is trying to low ball you with telling you they'll use refirbished parts. Don't put up with that BS.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It should all get replaced with BMW genuine parts if they can. None of this refurbished bull$#@!.

You know me, I would have brought it to MAC immediately Click here to enlarge

So far you are looking at a bumper, prolly the support, a few PDC sensors to replace the crumpled ones, and depending if your shop wants to fix the quarter panel or replace it entirely. That could easily run the bill up to 5-10k.

Try to get new LCI taillights out of the deal too Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yea, mtech rear, lci tails, a new set of m3 sides out of pocket, and re-painting the front aero, is what I have planned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So any news from the insurance company yet?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    waiting game at this point

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ouch that sucks, sorry LM. I had a car rear ended and had my insurance company take care of it. Worked out well in the long run. Your insurance company will get a hold of progressive and set them straight. Good luck!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Actually, things are moving along. Usaa is waiving my deductable and finally sent paperwork for my shop to start digging in. I have part #'s and GREAT prices on mtec rear and lci tails now, and ordered the newest version of m3 sides. I'm about to look onto oss angels since the car will be down anyway