Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

My personal review of LM's Level 10 trans

As some of you know, Steves car appeared in our booth at Bimmerfest. He was gracious enough to allow me to pick up the car and use it for the weekend. Since he also discovered a bum 02 sensor that was causing a pesky CEL, I took the liberty of bringing it back to. the shop to fix it.

First impressions of this trans is that it is definitely noticable with the higher stall. It shifts and then you feel it kinda lock up and put the power down. 3rd and 4th gear pulls just put you back in the seat, and its only at 14lbs. I have driven more than my fair share of ATs and I can definitely tell the difference in it, no doubt this is capable of a 10sec pass.

On the highway cruising, it prefers higher speeds for better gas economy. I noticed that at 60-65 it would manage about 22-23mpg, but at 70-75 i was well into the 30s, sometimes as much as 34.2 mpg holding a steady speed no cruise on. It also needed less throttle input to keep the speed up. Last tank of gas was 380 miles, this was hwy/street driving/shaking that pesky evo owner off my ass. If I had stuck to the highway more, the car was estimating 520 miles on a tank! Only my 6MT ever got those kinda range numbers.

The only neg I have about it is the lack of software out that will firm up the shifts. The faster you get out and into a gear, the less heating of the ATF, and less wear on the clutches. Hopefully that will be solved soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Nice review dude, good to get another persons view of a nicely modded beast.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

very nice review, glad the AT is doing well after the upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

as people have said, nice review matt. im glad you put the bad in with the good and made it more unbiased than the owner ever would Click here to enlarge on the mpg note, i've gotten 460miles on my MT cruising ~90 on pure highway driving (i have a lot of cop defense). the on-the-fly mpg calculator is garbage and you should know that, what it estimates is way off the true target, it always runs higher, on every n54 ive tried. even the ->empty calculator is biased, for every ~3-4 miles it goes down a tick of 5. if the computer said you'll get 520 miles you'd probably get 480 tops, but thats still awesome. i have to try slowing myself down and going for a 70-75 cruise like you did to see what a tank gets me, i just feel so safe going faster Click here to enlarge

@enrita have you got your new tranny yet?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Good stuff Matt & LM.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

520 my ass my has told me that before and i get like half that lol last time i was on the highway cruising at 80-85mph my car was showing high 27mpg.......i only average 280 miles to the tank Click here to enlarge and the most ive gotten has been 310 holding back in city/highway
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

btw oddjob did you get the 420 with the turbo upgrade? i wonder if upped turbos lead to better or worse fuel mileage. my guess would be better
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

When I installed my turbos I notices a substantial increase in MPG at higher cruising speeds too. I do believe they help with fuel economy quite abit, provided you can keep them out of or at low boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    When I installed my turbos I notices a substantial increase in MPG at higher cruising speeds too. I do believe they help with fuel economy quite abit, provided you can keep them out of or at low boost.
    it sounds easier said then done lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    btw oddjob did you get the 420 with the turbo upgrade? i wonder if upped turbos lead to better or worse fuel mileage. my guess would be better
    no the 460 was stock turbos, i haven't done any long trips recently (with upgraded chras).

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    exactly, your right foot dictates what kind of mpg you can get, but the uppd turbos should help as stated above.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    The only neg I have about it is the lack of software out that will firm up the shifts.
    Will anyone be able to rectify this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Will anyone be able to rectify this?
    ive tried to contact a few people, but as i just got back, havent talked to level10 yet. I know of one guy that can do it, but he is across the pond, so not sure how much that helps us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ive tried to contact a few people, but as i just got back, havent talked to level10 yet. I know of one guy that can do it, but he is across the pond, so not sure how much that helps us.
    why didnt you mention it in your tranny thread?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    why didnt you mention it in your tranny thread?
    Because, its 'different' lol... Even though its really not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

If one person can do it that means you can eventually get it. The tuning always goes in order from overseas to here.

Whom were you referring to overseas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Might be a dumb question but why is it called a level 10 tran? Y not lvl 2 or 3? Is it lik a 10 step process?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    Might be a dumb question but why is it called a level 10 tran? Y not lvl 2 or 3? Is it lik a 10 step process?
    No, that is the name of the company.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

No, that is the name of the company.
    gotcha
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i dont feel ther is anything wrong witht he shift firmness, its just not as firm as i want from a performance standpoint. ive said that all along

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

My tranny is out and ready to be shipped on monday. Gonna probably do a trans cooler as well and remove the oem heat exchanger. Oil redline D6.Who can do software?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    as people have said, nice review matt. im glad you put the bad in with the good and made it more unbiased than the owner ever would Click here to enlarge on the mpg note, i've gotten 460miles on my MT cruising ~90 on pure highway driving (i have a lot of cop defense). the on-the-fly mpg calculator is garbage and you should know that, what it estimates is way off the true target, it always runs higher, on every n54 ive tried. even the ->empty calculator is biased, for every ~3-4 miles it goes down a tick of 5. if the computer said you'll get 520 miles you'd probably get 480 tops, but thats still awesome. i have to try slowing myself down and going for a 70-75 cruise like you did to see what a tank gets me, i just feel so safe going faster Click here to enlarge@enrita have you got your new tranny yet?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

i dont feel ther is anything wrong witht he shift firmness, its just not as firm as i want from a performance standpoint. ive said that all along
    I hear you loud and clear but the question is how to resolve this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I hear you loud and clear but the question is how to resolve this?
    It looks like Level 10 does software updates (on BMW's too if I recall). They might just need more time with the E9X TCU to crack it. I'm not sure if they tried on LM's car or not. I know they only had it for a couple of weeks, though.

Added link:

http://www.levelten.com/PhotoGallery...tCode=MR+FLASH

Not sure if it's done in-housed or outsourced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

They wanted me to come back up in about 2 weeks after, but as you know, ive had no chance to do so. ill call on monday and see what they say

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    The only neg I have about it is the lack of software out that will firm up the shifts. The faster you get out and into a gear, the less heating of the ATF, and less wear on the clutches. Hopefully that will be solved soon Click here to enlarge
    I think there are performance advantages to using the converter as much as possible, instead of using the clutches to pull the engine RPM down to match shaft speed. Agreed this creates a lot of heat in the fluid....but this is really easy to solve. There are TONs of trans cooling options out there....what do you think the diesel guys with 1000lb/ft on autos are doing?

Something else that is missed a lot is that it's just as important to have a way out of a cooler as getting the air in. You can have a massive scoop pulling air onto the front of the cooler, but if the cooler is stuffed into wheel well with no-where for that air to go, it won't run through the cooler. I can't tell you how many race cars I've seen with oil coolers sitting against wheel-well plastic and the owner is complaining about oil temps.....
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    It looks like Level 10 does software updates (on BMW's too if I recall). They might just need more time with the E9X TCU to crack it. I'm not sure if they tried on LM's car or not. I know they only had it for a couple of weeks, though.

Added link:

http://www.levelten.com/PhotoGallery...tCode=MR+FLASH

Not sure if it's done in-housed or outsourced.
    Thanks, nice post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast