Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question New exhaust and warranty

First of all, hello to all..., first post and just joined a few minutes ago. Just ordered a 2011 M3 Sedan 6MT with everything except the performance package and the rear shades. Should arrive in about 6 weeks. Meanwhile, I ran into a site that had some exhaust sounds for M3s. Must admit I am mesmerized my the sound of the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust. The thing just sounds so sweet!!! Never mod'ed any car I've purchased before so have some questions:

1. Does the Akrapovic system last as long as the OEM exhaust?

2. Is it louder than the OEM system?

3. Does it void BMW warranty?

4. Anyone know a cost? Someone mentioned that have them for sale but need to PM to give price...., are you out there?

5. Would I get the same sound with the slip on or need the full exhaust?

6. Will the cat pass Illinois emissions test?

7. Anyone with any experience with the Akrapovic?

8. Any recommendation other than the Akrapovic?

9. Labored over getting a DCT, but after reading all the horror stories about the lag, decided on the 6MT. Any input here..., still not too late to change.

10. Last but not least, any recommendations on break in procedure?

Thanks in advance.

ZeeMu

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh man, can't wait! Super excited for you!

1) Do you mean longevity? Not sure about that one.

2) noticeably so from the vids that I've seen.

3) If there is a problem, and they can trace it back to the exhaust system, then that portion of your warranty is voided.
    ex: Your ECU is malfunctioning as a result of incorrect O2 sensors or something faulty caused by the exhausts and the stealer finds out....that won't be covered anymore...

4) Check the vendor section.

5-9) ask M3 owners or other members as I am not too familiar with S65 components, including the exhaust.

10) from what I know the M3 break-in period varies depending on what your take is on it.

It has been anything from drive her hard to follow the increasing rpm method to 1200miles then transmission fluid flush.

Oh, and welcome aboard! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1. It should actually last longer. Either way, both pieces will outlive the car most likely.

2. Yes, it is quite a bit louder. Some videos and details are here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...=8531#post8531

3. No, it does not void the warranty.

4. The price available here through Krenzer Performance Parts is the best available in the United States. PM them for a quote, it is lower than anyone else.

5. The silp on will not provide the same sound as the full exhaust.

6. I am not sure how strict Illinois emissions are but the cats should pass.

7. There are a few people here who have had it such as sammyrusso, you can PM him if you like or ask questions here.

8. Yes, several exhausts out there. Check out Gintani or Eisenmann as well.

9. I would get a 6 speed manual if I could do it over again. The DCT shifts faster, yes, but the manual offers more control and is more enjoyable. If a tenth or two do not matter to you, get the manual.

10. For break in, follow the instructions in the manual. I broke it in rather hard but the car dyno'd well.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge @ Sticky's response to 10)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    congrats on the new car
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DarkPhantom and Sticky..., thanks for the reply. I am staying with the 6MT. Really want the Akrapovic exhaust, but not if it's too loud. For me, it just a sound thing..., not for power. I;m going to check with the dealer about the exhaust and actually have them install it. Has anyone done this? Was looking for a shop that specializes in BMW in the Chicago area..., but it seems there a few if any. None that seem highly recommended. Ideas?

I am amazed what some of you have done with your cars, truly impressive. Any ideas out there would be appreciated. BTW, also thinking about a slight tinting as well. Comments?

ZeeMu

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, you can have a dealer install an exhaust. They would be happy to charge your for it.

I did ceramic tint and it looked great and no interference with electronics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DCT all the way! I will let you know what I think of the Akra system next week.

By the way, there is no lag in the DCT. That has been fixed. If you are using the car as a daily driver, you will want the DCT. Trust me.
    2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, ZTP, ZCW, ZPP, 2MK, 302, 5AC, 752 & more!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    DCT all the way! I will let you know what I think of the Akra system next week.

By the way, there is no lag in the DCT. That has been fixed. If you are using the car as a daily driver, you will want the DCT. Trust me.
    I would not say the lag has been fixed completely, it is way better. I will have some interesting news on the DCT lag for you guys shortly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The lag in my 08 was related to the idle valve hose. Since it was replaced, I have no lag.

I did test drive the manual M3 before making my decision on going DCT for this next 2011 M3, and there is no way I would trade my 2008 DCT for a 2010 manual. Hopefully, the 2011 DCT will be even better.
    2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, ZTP, ZCW, ZPP, 2MK, 302, 5AC, 752 & more!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    The lag in my 08 was related to the idle valve hose. Since it was replaced, I have no lag.

I did test drive the manual M3 before making my decision on going DCT for this next 2011 M3, and there is no way I would trade my 2008 DCT for a 2010 manual. Hopefully, the 2011 DCT will be even better.
    Well I mean not going to disagree with your impressions. My feeling is the lag is much better but not perfect or 100% eliminated in my '08 which had the idle valve hose replaced.