Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Ordered Wagner-Tuning FMIC

    After a long search I finally found a reasonably affordable FMIC which I can order from within Europe.
    Ordering from the USA was ridiculously expensive due to shipping and local import taxes, so this was a feasonable option.
    Also nice is that this installation will not require any trimming whatsoever. It also uses the original piping and attachments.
    So it will be an easy switch, I hope.


    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    I ordered it today.
    I will update this once it arrives and try to make an DIY if at all nessacerry.
    Costs are €590,- with another €15,- for shipping.
    It has a volume of 520 x 210 x130, 11.752cm³ agaist a standard volume for OEM of 510x130x110mm, 7293cm³ .
    It comes black anodized.
    Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Rep Points
    40.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The step looks like the Helix FMIC, let us know how it works.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,886.9
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Guessing it is a German company?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    Yes Reputation No
    Yes, you're quite near it right now. Their shop is close.to the.Polish border
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Rep Points
    40.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That will be a fairly easy install if you use all the same hardware without cutting. One thing that will take some time is all the 8mm screws you have to remove from the plastic cover on the bottom of the car. If you're not cutting and using the stock piping, you could probably install it in about an hour or so. (Maybe less.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    UPC tried to deliver this package 3 times from Monday forward.
    Off course I had to pick it up myself today.
    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Impressions:
    The welds look OK. Unfortunately, instead of anodized as advertised the IC is painted.
    Bummer.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    And it also has some minor transport damage. Fortunately it is only the under-tray that is slightly bent.

    Click here to enlarge

    I am still considering to straiten that out. The bend itself can do no harm. No air is going through that part, so no leaks.
    The entire FMIC weighs 6,5 kg, so it is fairly light.

    Next is installation.
    Needs to be finished before September 10 when I go to the Dyno.
    To be continued.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Grr, Sticky, 5 minutes for editing is just too short.

    Pics of the whole thing:
    Front

    Click here to enlarge

    Rear

    Click here to enlarge

    Coupling

    Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    937
    Rep Points
    562.7
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    FYI: It's probably anodized and painted... 2 different steps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    Yes Reputation No
    Where the paint is chipped the aluminium is shiny, not matt as if it's anodized.
    And is was supposed to be black anodized, not anodized and then painted black...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    937
    Rep Points
    562.7
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Where the paint is chipped the aluminium is shiny, not matt as if it's anodized.
    And is was supposed to be black anodized, not anodized and then painted black...
    I would consult with the manufacture (if that was their claim)... not anodized is pretty big deal for something running front/bottom of the car. not sure how most FMICs are made.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Congrats, one of the best ic on the market right now.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,083
    Rep Points
    9,063.7
    Mentioned
    638 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    91


    Yes Reputation No
    LOL this guy makes car parts? Click here to enlarge


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,886.9
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    UPC tried to deliver this package 3 times from Monday forward.
    Off course I had to pick it up myself today.
    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Impressions:
    The welds look OK. Unfortunately, instead of anodized as advertised the IC is painted.
    Bummer.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    And it also has some minor transport damage. Fortunately it is only the under-tray that is slightly bent.

    Click here to enlarge

    I am still considering to straiten that out. The bend itself can do no harm. No air is going through that part, so no leaks.
    The entire FMIC weighs 6,5 kg, so it is fairly light.

    Next is installation.
    Needs to be finished before September 10 when I go to the Dyno.
    To be continued.
    NICE detailed pictures!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    251
    Rep Points
    264.3
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    I wonder how the paint will affect the cooling effect?
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,173
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    That's not a great design for a intercooler. It would have been better to spend some extra money on a bar and plate design. I had this same style intercooler on my turbo setup, and it heat soaks pretty quick. Either way good luck with it.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,886.9
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    I wonder how the paint will affect the cooling effect?
    Why would it?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,926
    Rep Points
    1,372.7
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It could insulate and keep the heat within FMIC. I doubt it is measurable... Still anonized would not have that problem. Black color though is excellent for radiating the heat compared to other colors.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Points
    697.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    ^ +1

    Congrats on finally getting the FMIC
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    That's not a great design for a intercooler. It would have been better to spend some extra money on a bar and plate design. I had this same style intercooler on my turbo setup, and it heat soaks pretty quick. Either way good luck with it.
    Getting any USA intercooler to the Netherlands would have meant doubling the costs of this intercooler, after transport, VAT and customs taxes.
    The other European option would have been Forge. I can order one from a tuner an hour drive from here, but that also costs €1055,-. and is even smaller than this FMIC.
    That one actually is the same size as the original FMIC.
    And I'm not going all out on pressure. After installing this I will switch the JB4 from Map 1 to Map 5, and leave it at that if I like it. If not, maybe I even go back to Map 1.
    First things first.
    I will install this next weekend, and see what the Dyno and butt says after install.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    538
    Rep Points
    1,302.2
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Huh....it looks very different with that chunk missing from the top. Wonder how well it will work, hope you're happy with your purchase.
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    ^ +1

    Congrats on finally getting the FMIC
    Thanks Click here to enlarge.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Points
    5,704.2
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    Nice man! I'm down for a nice review once installed!
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68



    Yes Reputation No
    So today I rented a bridge at a local garage/ DIY center.
    Drove there through the poring rain, and onto the bridge.
    First impression, a $#@!ing lot of screws!
    20 to be exact, and they all need to come loose

    Click here to enlarge

    Don't forget these, There is one on each side

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Then, remove the plastic front strip by turning the 2 flaps 90 degrees counter clockwise. Only one way to do it. Unhook the strip by pushing it forward.

    The clamps can now be pulled

    Click here to enlarge

    Discard the heat wrapped piping. That is an exhaust for my parking interior heater, you won't have it.

    pry the aluminum pipes carefully out of the piping. 5mm is enough.

    Then with a 25 Torx bit loosen the 2 Torx screws on either side of the FMIC.
    These screws are the only thing holding it up, so be prepared to have it in your hand once the screws are out!

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    For one reason when transferring the clamps I noticed someone in Germany didn't quite get the picture straight.
    The connections for the clamps is IMO welded upside down.
    Once installed you need to push the side of the clamps up to release it. You can never release it just the way it should be released...

    Click here to enlarge

    Then the sweating began. I could not get the tight screw in. Just could not push the FMIC up far enough.
    It turned out I had to remove this little piece of plastic which is situated on the right side under the radiator.

    Click here to enlarge

    After that it went straight in.

    All that needs to be taken loose:

    Click here to enlarge

    Bottom 2 pieces will not go in again.

    Then it is important to NOT FORGET to push the piping on each side firmly into the FMIC. It will lock with a loud snap
    Then it is time to remount the undertray.
    One clamp must be removed , for one screw right under the FMIC can not be put back in.

    Click here to enlarge

    End result:

    Click here to enlarge

    I need to evaluate the driving a bit more. I only drove on very crowded highways for now, and the first impressions were mixed. The car feels a bit more laggy, and not quicker at all. But I barely had any chance to rev it in 3rd or 4th, so more testing needs to be done.
    And it will go on a dyno in 2 weeks, so lets wait till then for the final judgement.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Points
    5,704.2
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    Intercoolers dont really improve hp rating. Just lets you gun it more without losing hp (heatsoak).

    That was the same impression with my IC install. Not much performance at all, just a little more lag....
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,918
    Rep Points
    31,886.9
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    So today I rented a bridge at a local garage/ DIY center.
    Drove there through the poring rain, and onto the bridge.
    First impression, a $#@!ing lot of screws!
    20 to be exact, and they all need to come loose

    Click here to enlarge

    Don't forget these, There is one on each side

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Then, remove the plastic front strip by turning the 2 flaps 90 degrees counter clockwise. Only one way to do it. Unhook the strip by pushing it forward.

    The clamps can now be pulled

    Click here to enlarge

    Discard the heat wrapped piping. That is an exhaust for my parking interior heater, you won't have it.

    pry the aluminum pipes carefully out of the piping. 5mm is enough.

    Then with a 25 Torx bit loosen the 2 Torx screws on either side of the FMIC.
    These screws are the only thing holding it up, so be prepared to have it in your hand once the screws are out!

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    For one reason when transferring the clamps I noticed someone in Germany didn't quite get the picture straight.
    The connections for the clamps is IMO welded upside down.
    Once installed you need to push the side of the clamps up to release it. You can never release it just the way it should be released...

    Click here to enlarge

    Then the sweating began. I could not get the tight screw in. Just could not push the FMIC up far enough.
    It turned out I had to remove this little piece of plastic which is situated on the right side under the radiator.

    Click here to enlarge

    After that it went straight in.

    All that needs to be taken loose:

    Click here to enlarge

    Bottom 2 pieces will not go in again.

    Then it is important to NOT FORGET to push the piping on each side firmly into the FMIC. It will lock with a loud snap
    Then it is time to remount the undertray.
    One clamp must be removed , for one screw right under the FMIC can not be put back in.

    Click here to enlarge

    End result:

    Click here to enlarge

    I need to evaluate the driving a bit more. I only drove on very crowded highways for now, and the first impressions were mixed. The car feels a bit more laggy, and not quicker at all. But I barely had any chance to rev it in 3rd or 4th, so more testing needs to be done.
    And it will go on a dyno in 2 weeks, so lets wait till then for the final judgement.
    Good stuff David, very good stuff.

    Not surprising it does not feel quicker but you will maintain that power better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •