Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

How much is a lot of $$$$

I have been spending a lot of time on N54 and E60 M5 community forums. I have noticed a lot of squeeling in terms of prices of various parts available etc and the to the majority of people even US$20 makes a difference let a alone paying US$100 more for quality down pipes. The majority of people are from the states so I just wanted to gauge what is considered a lot of money when spending it on a luxury such as car modifications.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Really just depends on the individual. Remember, when dealing with the N54 community you are going to have a ton of kids, a TON. So $20 is a lot when you have no job and want to smoke pot AND get parts. I just summed up the SoCal N54 market.

The E60 M5 community I'm a bit surprised as those guys spend a lot of cash on headers and things of that nature. I haven't seen the complaining as it is an older, more established crowd.

I just don't even count any more, expense is relative, not generalized. I haven't really seen what you are talking about, I see a lot of people spending big bucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

in my opinion that has to do with social status. some people just have a bank they can withdraw from for whatever. some have a tight budget but can get away with a 500-some car payment. some are in the middle of that, like me. so with that being said, a lot of money to me is a modification that is important, that costs anything over 2k... sans a serious upgrade like a turbo kit/upgrade or a s/c w/e.

the m5 community is probably going to have a lot more big money ballers Click here to enlarge seeing as the car itself is about double the price to begin with. so maybe even the 'tax' is higher. everything's a business george, the prices will find their medium.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

a lot of money depends on the desired goal, and final result..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

So would it be safe to say that the N54 age demographic is between 20-25 on average?
    In South Africa the average kitted E90 335 goes for US$75,000 plus so it might explain the difference in spending attitude.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

wanna buy mine for $35k?

im 28 BTW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wipe my ass with 100 dollar bills, thats alot of money!.....lol

just kidding btw, i never use anything over a 20.

seriously though, the answer to that question would be up to the individual, I know there are people out there that would cringe and call me crazy for the amount of money I've spent on my M3, but I love the car, and can afford it, so it wasnt much of a decision to me.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I only carry 2008 dollar bills.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I spent over $5000 on a Akra system for my car that is arriving next week. I thought that was a lot of money, but I looked at it as a long term investment in fun! When all is said and done, the new car will be over $80K, including my own upgrades, which to me seems like a lot of money. I know that I will not spend additional money on items such as brakes, suspension, or superchargers. This car is a daily summer driver and doesn't need additional mods.
    2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, ZTP, ZCW, ZPP, 2MK, 302, 5AC, 752 & more!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    I spent over $5000 on a Akra system for my car that is arriving next week. I thought that was a lot of money, but I looked at it as a long term investment in fun! When all is said and done, the new car will be over $80K, including my own upgrades, which to me seems like a lot of money. I know that I will not spend additional money on items such as brakes, suspension, or superchargers. This car is a daily summer driver and doesn't need additional mods.
    That is a lot of money, lot's of guys are spending big bucks. It simply was the kiddie E90post crowd that was being reflected.

There are a lot of members here with very serious mods that cost big bucks such as yourself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

also depending on what...but you buy your akra exhaust,,,then in a year or 2 sell it for around 3k..so only spending around 2k
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don’t think that it necessarily has to do with age and spending ability. I am 19 and could have purchased pretty much any car I wanted and any part that I wanted but I decided to go with a cheaper car and save as much money as possible with mods. IMO this stigma comes from AR bashing the $200 DP’s, the people that don’t know any better say AR is the best and the people that do say pipes are pipes and 8hp is not worth $600. People who are well off, generally, don’t stay that way by spending unnecessarily, like I said this is barring the super wealthy. Even if I had a huge tf I would not waste money out of principal, it’s just stupid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onefastman Click here to enlarge
    I don’t think that it necessarily has to do with age and spending ability. I am 19 and could have purchased pretty much any car I wanted and any part that I wanted but I decided to go with a cheaper car and save as much money as possible with mods. IMO this stigma comes from AR bashing the $200 DP’s, the people that don’t know any better say AR is the best and the people that do say pipes are pipes and 8hp is not worth $600. People who are well off, generally, don’t stay that way by spending unnecessarily, like I said this is barring the super wealthy. Even if I had a huge tf I would not waste money out of principal, it’s just stupid.
    AR Design is retarded, they sell a freaking radiator for $1000 give me a break.

Saying you are 19 and can purchase anything you want does not really have you come off sounding the way you may intend though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    AR Design is retarded, they sell a freaking radiator for $1000 give me a break.

Saying you are 19 and can purchase anything you want does not really have you come off sounding the way you may intend though.
    +1

Money in terms of cost is relative when you think about individual situations...

I think for anyone who has worked hard and brought him/herself up to a comfortable living style knows that even $100 bucks is alot of money. (the statement itself is biased if you think about it).

However, when you're purchasing cars in the range that we do, mods would be similarly priced...unfortunately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Sticky;20248]AR Design is retarded, they sell a freaking radiator for $1000 give me a break.

Saying you are 19 and can purchase anything you want does not really have you come off sounding the way you may intend though.[/QUOTE

You are right. My point is that spending unnecessarilyis stupid and the sad part is that so many people think that they are being reasonable. I realize that there are many levels of this and on some level I am doing this but you dont see me spending $850 on dp's when I could get used ones for $250

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ Yes, I do understand your point that having money does not mean one should carelessly throw it away.