Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,894
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    For some reason, it's taxed higher. I haven't been able to flush out the specifics as to why, though...in recent times, it's been ridiculously more expensive than premium, but when I bought my d, diesel was cheaper than 87.
    Yup, there are higher federal excise taxes placed on diesel fuel compared to standard gasoline. Also lack of supply adds to prices. The refineries tend to produce more gas because of the demand. Less supply of diesel naturally drives up prices. Also the cost of producing low sulfur diesel has been passed on to the consumer.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Yes Reputation No
    Another article:

    The “550? badge seems to point to the use of the new Tri-Turbo diesel engine that will power the 2012 X6 xDrive50d and 750d limousine. The new power unit retains its inline-six architecture with 3.0 liter displacement and three turbochargers. The power of this engine will peak around the 400 horsepower mark.

    The diesel powerplant can be positioned in a way as an alternative to the top 550i model and its 407 horsepower. The M Sport package featured in models possibly sports slightly different design cues to further distinguish the M550d from the “regular” 5er M Sport.

    We expect the new tri-turbo diesel engine to debut next month at the Frankfurt Auto Show in all variants we reported on before: X6, 6 and 7 Series. It remains unknown at the moment whether the new engine can be homologated for the US, but European customers will get to enjoy them starting in Spring 2012.

    http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-M5...-diesel-66058/
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761
    Rep Points
    380.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Damn who cares about the price of DIESEl Im paying $3.70 a gallon here in Puerto Rico that is we sell gas and DIESEL by the liter anyway. Im not complaining since i have the best of both worlds economy of a 4 cyl and the torque of a V10 Woohoo!!Click here to enlargeWhen I retire in the next 13 yrs or so I might jump into one of them and leave my 335d to my sons LOLClick here to enlarge

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    For some reason, it's taxed higher. I haven't been able to flush out the specifics as to why, though...in recent times, it's been ridiculously more expensive than premium, but when I bought my d, diesel was cheaper than 87.
    Umm... so shouldn't someone do something about this?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Yes Reputation No
    The oil companies are the ones that have been $#@!ing with the prices...nobody seems to care, or have the inclination to fix the problem.....I mean, we almost hit $5/gallon...again, for no real reason.
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    The oil companies are the ones that have been $#@!ing with the prices...nobody seems to care, or have the inclination to fix the problem.....I mean, we almost hit $5/gallon...again, for no real reason.
    I do not think we have the power to do anything about it.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761
    Rep Points
    380.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Damn the X6 with 400 hp I imagine close to 600 lbs torque SHEIT!! thats crazy. My girlfriend loves the X6 and when I told her its coming in DIESEL Platform she almost had an orgasm LOL, she loves my 335d but her dream car to come DIESEL made her day and now she is seriously looking forwards to it. DAMN she might leave me, LOL, for the carClick here to enlarge

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    My girlfriend loves the X6 and when I told her its coming in DIESEL Platform she almost had an orgasm
    Does she have any sisters?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20
    Rep Points
    52.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    So a label on a box of brake pads is considered an "internal document"? What I find problematic is this purported "M" car is going to have the same brakes as all of those other cars.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Impulsoren Click here to enlarge
    So a label on a box of brake pads is considered an "internal document"? What I find problematic is this purported "M" car is going to have the same brakes as all of those other cars.
    You raise a valid point. I'm just going by what was reported come to your own conclusion on if this is genuine.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    And, as of yesterday, the car has been confirmed, although not with the original badging that was reported:

    BMW will introduce a new high-performance diesel-powered 5-Series model next spring that will expand the German maker’s vaunted M division, TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed, with the triple-turbo V-8 oil-burner set to also be used in a variety of other BMW products, likely including its X-series sport-activity vehicles.

    Rumors of the diesel M have been circulating for several weeks, but TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed details with a variety of BMW sources who say the maker wants to prove out the potential of the high-mileage technology – taking advantage of a variety of new technologies, including the unusual triple-turbocharging system meant to eliminate even the most minor turbo lag.

    The new model is likely to get the unusual designation of either BMW 550dM or 550dXM, the latter referring to its all-wheel-drive system. With rare exception, most models produced by the Bavarian maker’s performance sub-brand flash the vaunted “M” first and foremost. But the alternative nomenclature would reflect the unusual powertrain under the hood of the 5-Series BMW.

    The 3.0-liter straight-six diesel will use a small turbo to instantly build boost for launch, two larger twin-scroll turbochargers then spooling up for higher-speed performance. The basic engine is the same as the current BMW 3.0-liter diesel but with significant modifications, including a new cylinder head. It will make use of a variety of advanced technologies, including direct injection and BMW’s Valvetronic system, designed to optimize the function of intake and exhaust engine valves.

    Sources tell TheDetroitBureau.com that the 550dM will deliver slightly less horsepower than the new gas-powered BMW M5, which makes 560 ponies. Final numbers will likely be in the 500 to 550 range. Torque, meanwhile, will well exceed the 500 lb-ft of the new M5, and could push north of 650 lb-ft.

    To handle those tire-spinning forces, “You have to go to all-wheel-drive,” explained one senior BMW official, “otherwise you’ll be spinning your tires all day.”

    An editors note posted has this to say about the confirmation, however:

    Editor’s note: The following story has been revised to make clear that BMW M Manager Brian Watts did not himself confirm the diesel program has been approved but is only under consideration. However, ranking BMW sources have repeated their confirmation that what is tentatively being called the BMW 550dXM will be publicly revealed in spring 2012.

    http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...-applications/
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -196.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    triple-turbo V-8
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, there's some conflicting information in the article, since they mention:

    triple-turbo V-8 oil-burner

    And then, later in the article, they say:

    The 3.0-liter straight-six diesel will use a small turbo to instantly build boost for launch, two larger twin-scroll turbochargers then spooling up for higher-speed performance. The basic engine is the same as the current BMW 3.0-liter diesel but with significant modifications, including a new cylinder head.
    Click here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    All the magazine and sources are $#@!. They cant get their $#@! straight. I never believe any of it until the car actually comes out and I can pop the hood on the showroom floor.

    Also, what the $#@! is up with these names? 550d M sport, M550d, 550d M package, M550dM M sport M coupe M^2...


    $#@! it
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    And, as of yesterday, the car has been confirmed, although not with the original badging that was reported:

    BMW will introduce a new high-performance diesel-powered 5-Series model next spring that will expand the German maker’s vaunted M division, TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed, with the triple-turbo V-8 oil-burner set to also be used in a variety of other BMW products, likely including its X-series sport-activity vehicles.

    Rumors of the diesel M have been circulating for several weeks, but TheDetroitBureau.com has confirmed details with a variety of BMW sources who say the maker wants to prove out the potential of the high-mileage technology – taking advantage of a variety of new technologies, including the unusual triple-turbocharging system meant to eliminate even the most minor turbo lag.

    The new model is likely to get the unusual designation of either BMW 550dM or 550dXM, the latter referring to its all-wheel-drive system. With rare exception, most models produced by the Bavarian maker’s performance sub-brand flash the vaunted “M” first and foremost. But the alternative nomenclature would reflect the unusual powertrain under the hood of the 5-Series BMW.

    The 3.0-liter straight-six diesel will use a small turbo to instantly build boost for launch, two larger twin-scroll turbochargers then spooling up for higher-speed performance. The basic engine is the same as the current BMW 3.0-liter diesel but with significant modifications, including a new cylinder head. It will make use of a variety of advanced technologies, including direct injection and BMW’s Valvetronic system, designed to optimize the function of intake and exhaust engine valves.

    Sources tell TheDetroitBureau.com that the 550dM will deliver slightly less horsepower than the new gas-powered BMW M5, which makes 560 ponies. Final numbers will likely be in the 500 to 550 range. Torque, meanwhile, will well exceed the 500 lb-ft of the new M5, and could push north of 650 lb-ft.

    To handle those tire-spinning forces, “You have to go to all-wheel-drive,” explained one senior BMW official, “otherwise you’ll be spinning your tires all day.”

    An editors note posted has this to say about the confirmation, however:

    Editor’s note: The following story has been revised to make clear that BMW M Manager Brian Watts did not himself confirm the diesel program has been approved but is only under consideration. However, ranking BMW sources have repeated their confirmation that what is tentatively being called the BMW 550dXM will be publicly revealed in spring 2012.

    http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011...-applications/
    This is incredibly interesting news.

    Honestly, I'd want one of these. If it has 500 horsepower for a diesel available with AWD then I do not know what to say. That is just awesome.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -196.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    All the magazine and sources are $#@!. They cant get their $#@! straight. I never believe any of it until the car actually comes out and I can pop the hood on the showroom floor.
    exactly, they are just rumors based on liquid $#@!. just for F10 M5 we had several rumors, from KERS and a new 8-Speed SMG to Twin turbo V10 and automatic gearbox.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    All the magazine and sources are $#@!. They cant get their $#@! straight. I never believe any of it until the car actually comes out and I can pop the hood on the showroom floor.

    Also, what the $#@! is up with these names? 550d M sport, M550d, 550d M package, M550dM M sport M coupe M^2...


    $#@! it
    Nobody really has their info straight but this is getting interesting. 500+ hp diesel, really?

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,348
    Rep Points
    2,757.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    I want one of these. I dont care if it has triple turbos or not. I will take a compound turbo 6 and call it a day.

    Rebates out the ass from the guv't.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nobody really has their info straight but this is getting interesting. 500+ hp diesel, really?
    I'm telling you right now, if this is real, the 335d goes away and I'm picking this up, no question.
    Click here to enlarge

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ronin Click here to enlarge
    I'm telling you right now, if this is real, the 335d goes away and I'm picking this up, no question.
    If this is real I would have a hard time avoiding it. Let's see what happens though before we get our hopes up. Too many numbers all over the place.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -196.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I say 400hp and 500 lb-ft at most.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I say 400hp and 500 lb-ft at most.
    Maybe but with a new tri-turbo motor and AWD diesel M car they better make one grand freaking entrance.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    761
    Rep Points
    380.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    @ Ronin & Sticky sadly to say the 335d WILL NOT be available on theF30 platform, its is given away the new X5/X6 and now the M5d or whatever you want to call it. Hopefully, BMWUSA and its idiocnetric will bring the 20d over here and add it to the new F30 platform. whatever way it goes I am gald I have the 335d on my hands

  24. #49
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    529
    Rep Points
    423.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5



    Yes Reputation No
    I have no real interest in the 20d, to be honest.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •