Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I'd be surprised...are you sure?
    From page 17:

Crankshaft
    The crankshaft of the N55 is of lightweight design, at 20.3 kg it’s approximately 3 kg
    lighter than the crankshaft in the N54 engine.
    The crankshaft is made from cast iron (GGG70). The counterweights are arranged asymmetrically.
    There is no incremental wheel installed on the crankshaft. The timing chains
    are mounted by means of an M18 central bolt.
    N55 Crankshaft
    Crankshaft Main Bearings
    As on the N54 engine, the main bearings on the crankshaft are designed as two
    component bearings free of lead. The thrust bearing is mounted at the fourth bearing
    position.

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-21.pdf
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Someone went to BMW HQ in Germany and took alot of photos. Here is N54 with its cast crankshaft:

Click here to enlarge

It's bit hard to see on this photo, but the pistons also look cast to me.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Of course, there is no telling if this is a late model or early model N54 on those pics.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Vasil, n54 crank is forged and its really not even a discussion item. The N54 Engine document on e90post (sticky) has this information stated very clearly in the doc.

Not sure you can tell from a photo that something is forged or not either...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

ha, wish I could tell by sight whats forged and cast where, I would have pushed the case over in Sept when i was there and taken a closer look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Dzenno,

Well, if you look closer, you can definitely see casting marks from the moulds on the crank ridges on the last picture. Perhaps this was another change into the later models of N54? Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I do see those...i doubt that BMW would do such a change mid-production but anything is possible I guess..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno,

Well, if you look closer, you can definitely see casting marks from the moulds on the crank ridges on the last picture. Perhaps this was another change into the later models of N54? Click here to enlarge
    Also keep in mind that the N52 which uses cast crankshaft has the exact same dimension crankcase. My point being they could have used an N52 crank in that model in the case.

"The aluminum crankcase is pressure cast
    and differs from the “insert” design of the N52. This design is in contrast to the previous
    composite magnesium/aluminum crankcase on the N52. The construction of the N54
    crankcase is to accommodate the increased torque output of the turbocharged N54.
    Dimensionally, the N54 crankcase is the same as the N52 and continues to use the
    2-piece crankcase with bedplate.

The crankshaft is forged steel on the N54 engine. The crankshaft on the N52KP and
    N51 engines remains cast iron as on the original N52."
    Last edited by scottp999; 02-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This section in the n54 doc also mentions pistons and connecting rods:

Piston and Connecting Rods
    As with the cylinder head, the piston designs differ between engines. The N54 uses a
    special piston for compatibility with the direct injection system. The piston crown is
    modified to meet the mixture formation requirements.
    The N51 engine uses a lower compression ratio and accordingly uses a different piston
    design. The N52KP uses the same design as the N52 engine.
    The connecting rods on all of the NG6 engines have been stiffened with a thicker beam
    on the rod. This design has also been in production on the N52 since 6/06.
    Crankshaft
    The cast iron crankshaft is retained for the N52KP and N51. To accommodate the
    increased power output of the N54, the crankshaft is forged steel.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I will try to contribute something to the community

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Someone went to BMW HQ in Germany and took alot of photos. Here is N54 with its cast crankshaft:
    It's bit hard to see on this photo, but the pistons also look cast to me.

Of course, there is no telling if this is a late model or early model N54 on those pics.
    It's Forged aluminum alloy, made by mahle vasil. pretty 100% positive. check their website, and read up on their products. They have those pistons specifically for turbo direct injections.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

^^ But then scottp999 sais it is forged steel! ...Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I remember being in the N54 community...06 to early 08 motors had forged pistons connecting rods and crank while from then on it was cast to save money.
    Current: 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
    Mods: Jerry Tune, 180mm Pulley, Heat Exchanger and H/E pump
    1/8 mile PB: 7.7@93mph 1.8 60ft
    1/4 mile PB: 12.0@115mph 1.8 60ft

Previous: 2007 BMW 335i
    My Mods: Jb4, DCI, AR DPs, Muffler Delete, CP-E FMIC, NST Lightweight Pulley
    1/8 mile PB: 7.9@91mph 1.8 60ft Pump Gas Bald Tires
    1/4 mile PB: 12.5@112mph 1.9 60ft

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^ But then scottp999 sais it is forged steel! ...Click here to enlarge
    I'm talking about the crankshaft. Turkeybaster115 was specifically talking about the pistons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Oooh, I see. My bad! I misunderstood what Turkey meant...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome! Glad to hear forged parts are used. Gives some peace of mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scottp999 Click here to enlarge
    From page 17:

Crankshaft
    The crankshaft of the N55 is of lightweight design, at 20.3 kg it’s approximately 3 kg
    lighter than the crankshaft in the N54 engine.
    The crankshaft is made from cast iron (GGG70). The counterweights are arranged asymmetrically.
    There is no incremental wheel installed on the crankshaft. The timing chains
    are mounted by means of an M18 central bolt.
    N55 Crankshaft
    Crankshaft Main Bearings
    As on the N54 engine, the main bearings on the crankshaft are designed as two
    component bearings free of lead. The thrust bearing is mounted at the fourth bearing
    position.

http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-21.pdf
    Very nice post, thank you for taking the time to research it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshM813 Click here to enlarge
    From what I remember being in the N54 community...06 to early 08 motors had forged pistons connecting rods and crank while from then on it was cast to save money.
    That seemed to be a popular theory, but when we opened up an '06 build we proved that wrong. Well partially. Aug 2006 build - forged cracked cap rod, cast piston.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

So what's the verdict, cast pistons? And more importantly what does a nice set of forged pistons with maybe 1/2 - 3/4pt less CR run? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So they switched to forged pistons for 07-08? Then switched back to cast late 08?
    Current: 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
    Mods: Jerry Tune, 180mm Pulley, Heat Exchanger and H/E pump
    1/8 mile PB: 7.7@93mph 1.8 60ft
    1/4 mile PB: 12.0@115mph 1.8 60ft

Previous: 2007 BMW 335i
    My Mods: Jb4, DCI, AR DPs, Muffler Delete, CP-E FMIC, NST Lightweight Pulley
    1/8 mile PB: 7.9@91mph 1.8 60ft Pump Gas Bald Tires
    1/4 mile PB: 12.5@112mph 1.9 60ft

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Hmmm, that's weird...e92fan in england confirmed everything was forged when he had his engine built and posted photos on e90post of the complete build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Mike, not calling you a liar, or nothing, but you guys are selling Forged aftermarket pistons for the N54, right? Could that maybe have something to do with the results of your investigation?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

What led to that cracked rod is actually what I want to know? What was the car running modification/tuning wise and what led to the rod cracking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Hmmm, that's weird...e92fan in england confirmed everything was forged when he had his engine built and posted photos on e90post of the complete build
    +1. There is no way that mahle delivered cast Iron pistons to BMW and charged them twice the price. They don't even make anything cast Iron. They make either cast or forged aluminum, and they used forged aluminum for turbo direct injection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

What led to that cracked rod is actually what I want to know? What was the car running modification/tuning wise and what led to the rod cracking?

Dzenno,

I think you are confused here. There are two types of manufacturing methods for rod caps. One is to machine them so that the mating surfaces of the rod and the cap fit as closely as possible. Unfortunately, for high-powered applications sometimes the rod cap will slide on the rod end during the power stroke. To prevent this from happening, the rods and rod caps are forged into a single unit and then later on the cap is literally "cracked" off from the rod itself. So now, the mating surface between the rod and the rod cap is no longer flat but full of microscopic ridges and troughs (spelling) which when mated together eliminate the possibility of the rod cap sliding. Its a very clever way of keeping the rod caps in the precise position they need to be!

This is a rather expensive process and I am happy our engines have forged rod with cracked caps!

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecting_rod
    Last edited by vasillalov; 02-28-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    So what's the verdict, cast pistons? And more importantly what does a nice set of forged pistons with maybe 1/2 - 3/4pt less CR run? Click here to enlarge
    This set is cast. I will be in touch with a quote Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshM813 Click here to enlarge
    So they switched to forged pistons for 07-08? Then switched back to cast late 08?
    No idea really. I can only speak to what we have seen in house and what we have gotten from our contacts at Mahle. I know Mahle is not the only N54 piston supplier. That was confirmed by Mahle and by the units we took out of a stock 06 engine. Our Mahle guys though that they only supplied forged pistons to BMW...but that is pretty confidential info. Again, the pistons that we removed are not Mahle.

I posted a photo of a cast piston that came out of an 06 N54. My machine shop foreman has 50 years of experience and we sell a lot of pistons. It's safe to say we know how to ID pistons by now Click here to enlarge

My machine shop:
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...rums/aim11.jpg
    http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...rums/aim12.jpg

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Mike, not calling you a liar, or nothing, but you guys are selling Forged aftermarket pistons for the N54, right? Could that maybe have something to do with the results of your investigation?
    No.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    +1. There is no way that mahle delivered cast Iron pistons to BMW and charged them twice the price. They don't even make anything cast Iron. They make either cast or forged aluminum, and they used forged aluminum for turbo direct injection.
    Who said anything about iron? How on earth would you know exactly what Mahle supplies to OEMs? I worked at GM, 2 large aftermarket mfgrs (where I handled OEM contracts among other things) and now a small mfgr/retailer...and I can say with confidence that very few know exactly what OEMs spec and receive.
    Last edited by Mike@VAC; 02-29-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast