Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Truth to the N54 Being fully forged?

I Don't remember were i read it but. I Remember reading that the n54 has full forged internals from the factory is this true?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i dont believe so, i believe some parts are not forged. forgot which ones.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons are forged. The Bentey manual lists both the crankshaft and the con-rods being forged and recently there was a N54 owner who tore his engine apart and confirmed that the pistons are also forged.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons are forged. The Bentey manual lists both the crankshaft and the con-rods being forged and recently there was a N54 owner who tore his engine apart and confirmed that the pistons are also forged.
    +1
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you sir!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This may be a silly question, but was it shown (by part numbers or something) that ALL N54 pistons are forged? Or was it just on that particular N54? I'm asking because I wonder if they made forged pistons before or after a certain model year or something, what may be true for one N54 may not be true for all of them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kamal Click here to enlarge
    This may be a silly question, but was it shown (by part numbers or something) that ALL N54 pistons are forged? Or was it just on that particular N54? I'm asking because I wonder if they made forged pistons before or after a certain model year or something, what may be true for one N54 may not be true for all of them.
    Have been forged since day one according to n54 tech.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are maid by Mahle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I was wrong, thankfully....
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    they apparently switched to cast around late 08 early 09 models. while 2 people did tear down and in fact clarify for fact that the internal parts listed above were forged, another confirmed his not to be, with a later n54 model. bmw along the line at some point switched over and i guess figured ehh, no one knows theyre forged, wont hurt, lets save the cash and go cast. thread is over on e90 actually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ I think it was unfor that confirmed it but we all know unfor and "confirmation" don't mix well apparently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    unfor was one yes lol. but enrita(very legit guy) and e92fan both had this confirmed by the shops that tore their motors open.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by plague Click here to enlarge
    unfor was one yes lol. but enrita(very legit guy) and e92fan both had this confirmed by the shops that tore their motors open.
    +1

Internals are forged, we just don't know 100% if its the same all the way through for all the years N54 has been in production...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you guys think the 1M's internals are forged?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    we can only hope so, if not the 1M is worthless.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Do you guys think the 1M's internals are forged?
    def they are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys, here's some new info posted on e90post by Mike@VAC Motorsports about the N54 internals, pistons specifically...adds even more to the mystery surrounding the N54 piston material Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC
    I am not personally comfortable saying this just yet. I can tell you this - the piston on my desk is not made by Mahle. It looks like there were at least 2 piston suppliers to BMW.

Our guy at Mahle, the owner of VAC and our machine shop foreman (with 40+ years experience) say the piston on my desk is in fact cast. The contoured inner walls are a dead giveway - with forging that is not possible. The piston I have is cast, came out of an untouched Aug 06 N54 and it is NOT built by Mahle.

When we talked to Mahle, they had supposedly supplied only forged pistons to BMW for the N54. Quite a mystery, I have been working on this for a week off and on. This is what I have so far Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like built motors are on the horizon once fueling is sorted.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Looks like built motors are on the horizon once fueling is sorted.
    Irish, fuel limitations are really something that we don't know at this point...with a flash I don't see any fuel limitation yet even at 20psi flat to 6k rpm where it was claimed by Shiv with the procede's fuel control...I can run 11AFR flat all the way up to 6-6.5k rpm on stock timing and 20psi...

what seems to be the case is that there's more capacity in the stock fuel system when you approach fuel tuning using a flash and actually change injector duty cycles by flashing the DME's fuel target tables vs. using wideband biasing and upping the HPFP fuel pressure through injector duty cycles that operate within stock load target settings...remains to be seen but for now I'd take the stock fuel system limitation comments of the past with a grain of salt..there's obviously a fuel limitation in the stock system somewhere even with a flash but with a different fuel tuning approach now it sure doesn't look like its around 500whp...maybe 550 but as I said remains to be seen...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Irish, fuel limitations are really something that we don't know at this point...with a flash I don't see any fuel limitation yet even at 20psi flat to 6k rpm where it was claimed by Shiv with the procede's fuel control...I can run 11AFR flat all the way up to 6-6.5k rpm on stock timing and 20psi...

what seems to be the case is that there's more capacity in the stock fuel system when you approach fuel tuning using a flash and actually change injector duty cycles by flashing the DME's fuel target tables vs. using wideband biasing and upping the HPFP fuel pressure through injector duty cycles that operate within stock load targets...remains to be seen but for now I'd take the stock fuel system limitation comments of the past with a grain of salt..there's obviously a fuel limitation in the stock system somewhere but so far, with a different fuel tuning approach, it sure doesn't look like its around 500whp...maybe 550 but as I said remains to be seen...
    At 500whp we are close doubling the stock output. I would still be concerned at fueling at these power levels. Granted, these are direct injection cars and we probably have not pushed the limits with proper flashing solutions but looking at other platforms big power cars are adding additional pump, injector and controller hardware at even 30-50% stock power levels. Its tough to compare apples to oranges but I thought I would throw it out there.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    At 500whp we are close doubling the stock output. I would still be concerned at fueling at these power levels. Granted, these are direct injection cars and we probably have not pushed the limits with proper flashing solutions but looking at other platforms big power cars are adding additional pump, injector and controller hardware at even 30-50% stock power levels.
    Sure, but the thing is "when" do you claim you have a fuel system limitation Click here to enlarge its when you see a lean run at WOT that you can't sort out using any tuning means necessary...what I'm saying is with a different tuning approach from before there currently are no lean run conditions anywhere during a pull when flashing the AFR targets and thus no fuel limitation yet
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, but the thing is "when" do you claim you have a fuel system limitation...its when you see a lean run at WOT that you can't sort out using any tuning means necessary...what I'm saying is with a different tuning approach from before there currently are no lean run conditions anywhere during a pull when flashing the AFR targets and thus no fuel limitation yet
    Fair enough, it should be interesting to see when/if and at what power level we hit the stock system limitations.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    there's obviously a fuel limitation in the stock system somewhere even with a flash but with a different fuel tuning approach now it sure doesn't look like its around 500whp...maybe 550 but as I said remains to be seen...
    i would guess the real limitation is around 550. even though it was a glory run, my reasoning is asr's 1 made ~540wheel a while back but of course on racegas (109 or 110(leaded) iirc)+meth, and that was on a V3! on the same tune and gas they hit 180 on the mile... that's moving! compare it. i suppose you're right to say the envelope could be pushed further with a flash as it controls the fuel tables but i really don't see anyone breaking that barrier without more work done, whether it be enrita with his headwork, you, LM, even myself. however i maybe speaking to soon on limitations since the compressor wheel upgrade will deliver a huge gain, but because of the current limitation, we may need to run lower boost pressure in order to not have fuel cavitation. time will tell as i will get the upgrade as soon as it's available to customers. it's a reason i'm trying to push for a dyno asap, i would like to get numbers now then dyno after the upgrade and see what the n54 can push out! Click here to enlarge

sorry to go off topic, would be interested to find the real deal about cast/forged pistons in the n54. really, what years did Mahle supply BMW?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure, but the thing is "when" do you claim you have a fuel system limitation Click here to enlarge its when you see a lean run at WOT that you can't sort out using any tuning means necessary...what I'm saying is with a different tuning approach from before there currently are no lean run conditions anywhere during a pull when flashing the AFR targets and thus no fuel limitation yet
    It's possible the fuel limitation we're seeing with the piggyback is really a fuel tirms/IPW limitation. But some data casts doubt on that. The high fuel pressure and low fuel pressure drop at those levels. If we had a simple IPW limitation then I would expect fuel pressure to hold steady as the AFR started to tank.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast