Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Here:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by az335iat
    Here is a picture of the damage. As you can see, a piece of piston is missing in the #4 cylinder at about the 2:00 o'clock position. This happened, I believe, on 5/20/11 on the first run of the night. After doing a burnout in the burnout box, the car over revved and sputtered a few times coming up to the line.

After limping through the lights and slowing down, a transmission gear failure lights up in the console... ah crap!!!! Back in the pits, engine has a slight miss at idle. Check codes.. have several. Engine overspeed, trans gear failure, throttle position failure, misfire cylinder 4, and fuel plausibility code.
    Ah Crap, crap, crap!

Reset codes and got the throttle position sensors to agree again. Made a couple of additional runs but car was not right. Went home early. Car seemed to run normal back on the road to home, except at idle. Sometimes it would miss more, sometimes less. Never any smoke. I was hoping for a bad injector since I was covered by the HPFP and injector campaign recall.

Dealer changed the HPFP and 5 of the injectors but miss was still present.
    They did a leak down test.. All cylinders at <5% except # 4 which was at 60% IIRC. Dealer mechanic said they heard air leaking out of the intake valves during test and wanted $5.5k to remove/replace head + machine work.
    Had them put it back together and went to an independent shop. They pulled the head and found the bent intake valve and valve relief damage. There was also a grove in the piston bore where the missing piece bounced around a few times before going who knows where. To make a long story shorter, I replaced the engine with an engine I found on the internet. Finally picked it up last night.

Sometimes you just got to pay to play hard.....Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

^^^ cool... would love to see pics of the valve and seat in the head also. Any compression testing of the valve springs??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Does the Car time stamp the RPM when you get the over-rev code? My last GTI saw 8,6xxxrpm a couple times on a suuwweeet 3rd-2nd-whoops-4th upshift. How high can this engine go before valve float ends all the fun?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Does the Car time stamp the RPM when you get the over-rev code? My last GTI saw 8,6xxxrpm a couple times on a suuwweeet 3rd-2nd-whoops-4th upshift. How high can this engine go before valve float ends all the fun?
    yes it should state the rpm when you pull the engine over speed code
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I've asked on the other forum too...where is the pic of the bent valve that caused this? Just the pic above doesn't provide a complete picture...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Cobb raises the rev limiter to 7200rpm and I've revved it a few times all the way out without any issues...but holding 18psi to there is definitely no the same as 9-10psi especially on RBs and in my case 4deg less timing..

Hope he's back on the road with it even stronger soon...
    Also the ESS 1M Tune raises the rev limiter to 7200 rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Makes me wonder what RPM he actually hit? 9000?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you guys keep saying flashes are TUNING to 7200 rpm, his car was not tuned to go to 7200...
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That type of cylinder damage looks very similar to what happened to my old grand prix 2 engines ago. I got some excessive knock in the engine during a WOT run and the compression ring go so hot that it expanded, butted up against itself where the gap is supposed to be, and then chipped off the piston in the weak spot. Ill post a picture if i can find it.

EDIT:

Found it

Click here to enlarge
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You know what, that could make sense! The 1M is supposed to have upgraded piston rings..... possibly ones that expand less during thermal exposure?

What caused the knock during your run with the GP? You would hope the N54 DME would catch it before something like that though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    You know what, that could make sense! The 1M is supposed to have upgraded piston rings..... possibly ones that expand less during thermal exposure?

What caused the knock during your run with the GP? You would hope the N54 DME would catch it before something like that though.
    My issue was a little more involved. One of the rollers on the exhaust valve lifter (cylinder 3) had seized up and the cam lobe slowly starting eating into it making the lifter shorter(its funny because the engine ran fine even though this was happening). It did it for so long that eventually the valve couldn't open enough to let all the exhaust heat out and eventually caused excessive cylinder wall heating which lead to detonation. That heat coupled with the heat from the supercharger spelled disaster for that engine.
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    you guys keep saying flashes are TUNING to 7200 rpm, his car was not tuned to go to 7200...
    I think people are just pointing out the fact that those cars are running a higher rev limiter and not blowing up.

I agree that 7200 rpm isn't going to break the engine (unless there is a pre-existing condition). BMW would have definitely left more than a 200rpm safety margin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

hell yeah.. ive gone over 7k just because it came up so fast. with upgraded turbos there's no reason to shift before redline (unless you're dzenno Click here to enlarge sorry man) and in that case, 1st and 2nd gears flies through the revs and a number of times ive gone over 7k, albeit not much over, but the engine cuts power accordingly until you shift up. its never gone close to 7.5 so my guess is the max ive ever hit would be 7200-7250. there is no reason to go PAST redline in this motor at the moment, engine starts reducing torque after 7k so unless you have a standalone and single turbo, 7k is where you shift with upgraded twins. if a flash tunes to go to 7200, i'd love to see that dyno session and how much torque drops.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

over revving FTW!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yikes! After seeing all that, makes you want to make sure you have all the right gear before pushing your car too hard.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Makes me wonder what RPM he actually hit? 9000?
    Over 9000!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Looks like the cylinder on the left might not have been seeing as much meth as the cylinder on the right. Note the differing levels of carbon build-up...

Which cylinders are these, again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rwalker Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Looks like the cylinder on the left might not have been seeing as much meth as the cylinder on the right. Note the differing levels of carbon build-up...

Which cylinders are these, again?
    You raise a good point, the distribution may be not have been even but I don't know which cylinders those are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You raise a good point, the distribution may be not have been even but I don't know which cylinders those are.
    Equal distribution of meth is one of the primary reasons that I am not using it. I've never been sold on sprayers for meth or N2O that aren't located in each runner of the intake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    Equal distribution of meth is one of the primary reasons that I am not using it. I've never been sold on sprayers for meth or N2O that aren't located in each runner of the intake.
    How about if the air from the charge pipe is not equally distributed? then having equal distribution for meth might generate variations in AFRs across the cylinders?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I'm sure the extra carbon buildup mainly happened after the event.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    No engine is going to have a perfect A/F ratio from cylinder to cylinder but modern engine controls have per-cylinder spark advance and knock detection so ideally that should mitigate a lot of the potential problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Can you explain how that'd happen?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

at the event ? LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Any updates? Which cylinders are we looking at above?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12