Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Why not a single turbo S65 V8?

I have been thinking more about turbos on the S65 and specifically the hardware obstacles. The tuning is going to be an issue no matter what but that is not what I am trying to get into here.

Why couldn't a single turbo setup be done? It seems a turbo would would fit where SC's currently are fit.

Usually V8's are twin turbo setups but the more I have researched it I have noticed there are a good amount of single turbo V8's out there. Obviously this is just brainstorming and I have no idea of the complexities of getting split manifolds like those on the S65 to feed into a single side.

Just look at these photos of the engine bay and you can clearly see there is room for a turbo where the airbox/SC is mounted:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

What do you guys think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

how are the passenger side headers not going to be 'longer' than the drivers side. isn't the best design equal length headers/ exhaust manifold? and the passenger exhaust mani would have to wrap under the engine? what configuration did you have in mind? i think what would be more possible than a single turbo in front is to have your s/c and put a rear mounted turbo, right by the exhaust. although its a lot of plumbing under your car, now that would be a monster Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    how are the passenger side headers not going to be 'longer' than the drivers side. isn't the best design equal length headers/ exhaust manifold? and the passenger exhaust mani would have to wrap under the engine? what configuration did you have in mind? i think what would be more possible than a single turbo in front is to have your s/c and put a rear mounted turbo, right by the exhaust. although its a lot of plumbing under your car, now that would be a monster Click here to enlarge
    I just can't really get excited about rear mounted turbos. A few Mustang guys do run SC's with turbos, but they run a roots blower with a turbo... pretty crazy.

Yes, the manifolds would not be equal. They are not equal on many of the Mustang Turbo kits that are out there now which have had great success and put up incredible numbers. I don't see why they would have to be equal with a single turbo setup.

Check out this single turbo kit on a Mustang GT for example:

Honestly, I'm jealous that Mustang guys can get a turbo kit for $5k like that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Fitting it where the Supercharger is would cause all sort of heat problems and the downpipe routing is virtually impossible without having to heat insulate half the motor. Two turbos fit nicely in the rear bottom of the engine and you will have to scavenge the oil into the sump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Fitting it where the Supercharger is would cause all sort of heat problems and the downpipe routing is virtually impossible without having to heat insulate half the motor. Two turbos fit nicely in the rear bottom of the engine and you will have to scavenge the oil into the sump.
    Eh, why don't other people have problems with heat in the engine bay with a turbo? E46 doesn't have the problem, E36, none of these other cars, why is the S65 different? Why is downpipe routing virtually impossible, what makes the S65 different from how downpipes are routed on other V8 setups?

Two turbos fit nicely you say?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

DO IT STICKY! Headers DO NOT have to be equal length on a turbo system, some are even designed to hit the turbine in clumped pulses, like the Subaru STI, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, Z31 300ZX Turbo, etc. With 4.0L and an 8400RPM redline you could fit quite a large turbo and make some insane power! Plus, at lower boost levels a large turbo in its middle-most efficiency island shouldn't make too much heat, and there are turbo blankets and exhaust wrap anyway if needed.
    Last edited by fundahl; 04-26-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    DO IT STICKY! Headers DO NOT have to be equal length on a turbo system, some are even designed to hit the turbine in clumped pulses, like the Subaru STI, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, Z31 300ZX Twin-Turbo, etc. With 4.0L and an 8400RPM redline you could fit quite a large turbo and make some insane power! Plus, at lower boost levels a large turbo in its middle-most efficiency island shouldn't make too much heat, and there are turbo blankets and exhaust wrap anyway if needed.
    I'm just brainstorming man, my car has nothing to do with this Click here to enlarge

Not that I wouldn't want a fat single turbo setup...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Opps, Z31 300ZX Turbo is what I meant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Eh, why don't other people have problems with heat in the engine bay with a turbo? E46 doesn't have the problem, E36, none of these other cars, why is the S65 different? Why is downpipe routing virtually impossible, what makes the S65 different from how downpipes are routed on other V8 setups?

Two turbos fit nicely you say?
    You are comparing a V8 to a straight six. If you look at a angle the V lays vs a straight six and the space between the body and cylinder head where the downpipe will go and you comfortable putting a red hot pipe past that then feel free. The restriction vs the E36 and E46 is the cylinder head and the impact beam that connect to the front bumper.

Two turbos can fit snugly a bit back from the the oil sump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    You are comparing a V8 to a straight six. If you look at a angle the V lays vs a straight six and the space between the body and cylinder head where the downpipe will go and you comfortable putting a red hot pipe past that then feel free. The restriction vs the E36 and E46 is the cylinder head and the impact beam that connect to the front bumper.

Two turbos can fit snugly a bit back from the the oil sump.
    Ultimately someone will do twins. I'm just thinking Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

keep thinking it to reality sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KiokenM3 Click here to enlarge
    keep thinking it to reality sticky
    Thanks man, does not hurt to think outside the box Click here to enlarge

I definitely feel it could be done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I see nothing wrong with a single setup. Although, I would like to see twin gt30r's or gt35r's.

If, single is the way then one needs to at least run a t67 on the s65. Personally, I would began looking at a t-71.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    I see nothing wrong with a single setup. Although, I would like to see twin gt30r's or gt35r's.

If, single is the way then one needs to at least run a t67 on the s65. Personally, I would began looking at a t-71.
    Heh, you are looking at some pretty big single turbos there. You would have some amazing power.

A GT35r would definitely give great response with the V8 and plenty of power. Boost goes a long way on this motor but if you want to be a highway king, sure, t-67, throw on a T88 even and show supras what is up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Heh, you are looking at some pretty big single turbos there. You would have some amazing power.

A GT35r would definitely give great response with the V8 and plenty of power. Boost goes a long way on this motor but if you want to be a highway king, sure, t-67, throw on a T88 even and show supras what is up.
    LOL, a gt35r would be awesome (and a start). BUT, with the power levels everyone is at with SC's, I believe the gt35r would max out quite quick. A t-67 (just like HPF started with) should be the beginning.

The 4.0L should spool a t-67 with ease thats why I suggest t-71.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, a gt35r would be awesome (and a start). BUT, with the power levels everyone is at with SC's, I believe the gt35r would max out quite quick. A t-67 (just like HPF started with) should be the beginning.

The 4.0L should spool a t-67 with ease thats why I suggest t-71.
    Well, a 4.6-4.8 technically could spool something even bigger but we are getting way ahead of ourselves, not that I mind Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, a 4.6-4.8 technically could spool something even bigger but we are getting way ahead of ourselves, not that I mind Click here to enlarge
    Well, you are right again. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I like this thread!!! I'm tuned in for sure!

but what size turbos do you think will fit behind the oil sump? if the set up was to be a Twin turbo?
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    I like this thread!!! I'm tuned in for sure!

but what size turbos do you think will fit behind the oil sump? if the set up was to be a Twin turbo?
    If someone does a twin turbo setup they will be limited in turbo sizing. The twins will be pretty small but have great spool, especially if someone enlarges the motor.

With a single turbo up top someone could go big... quite big.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The plumbing for a single will potentially be more complicated than a twin.

An STS style rear-mount twin turbo setup on the other hand could work really well, if the ECU can handle it. I have a feeling it will end up being like the HPF kit, though - where a standalone will need to be designed specifically for the application. And from what I've heard no standalone is currently capable of suitably replacing the E9x DME.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fstop7 Click here to enlarge
    The plumbing for a single will potentially be more complicated than a twin.

An STS style rear-mount twin turbo setup on the other hand could work really well, if the ECU can handle it. I have a feeling it will end up being like the HPF kit, though - where a standalone will need to be designed specifically for the application. And from what I've heard no standalone is currently capable of suitably replacing the E9x DME.
    There is a standalone that can replace the E9X DME, there are two actually, did you read my turbo E9X M3 article?

You are correct about the plumbing. I have been brainstorming this and I contacted some people. Basically, the plumbing is the obstacle as you can't go underneath and cross as I imagined as the car is just too low. It would eventually break or hit a rock or something of that sort.

Crossing up top apparently can't happen due to lack of space. In my heart I believe it could be done but not without some major changes and or sacrifices in the engine bay.

Basically, if anyone does a turbo setup, it looks like it will be twins. Remote mount is definitely an option but not the proper way to do it.