Close

Thread: Couple of MT tranny issues ..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couple of MT tranny issues ..

I've had both these problems since the car was new & stock, but they happen so rarely, I disregarded/forgot about it.

1) Crunching/grinding from 1st to 2nd. Very occasionally, I'll get a horrible crunching sound going from 1st to 2nd, even though the clutch pedal is fully depressed. It's probably happened about 4 times in the 15 months I've owned this car. I've read that this is a common problem with our cars, and the consensus is to change to a different brand of transmission fluid. I need to do this, but which brand should I get?

2) I think this one is related to the CDV .. If I'm out testing my car, sometimes I give it a bit too much gas on launch and predictably, I spin all the way through first .. after shifting to 2nd, I lift the clutch pedal fully, but yet the car goes nowhere, almost as if I still had it fully depressed. The only way to get moving again is to lift off the throttle and ease back on. This happened for the third time yesterday, since I've had the car; and each time it happens, the clutch burns (not enough to see smoke, but enough to smell it!) -- not good!

Before this BMW, I've owned manual transmission cars all my life .. and neither of these have ever occurred ? Will a CDV delete fix #2??

I mentioned both problems during my last service, but got the 'unable to replicate' excuse.
    Last edited by bigup; 07-26-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1) Can't comment on that at all never had that happen.

2) I've had that happen too. Don't know if it's the CDV or whether the stock clutch is having trouble holding the extra power I'm pushing. But judging by the smell I will notch that up as the clutch, kinda have to be a bit less aggressive and it's fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    1) I had that happen a few times over the winter but I have not had it since. That was before I put the CDV delete, CM clutch, Wavetrac LSD and DSS axles in. Perhaps the CDV delete does fix it?

2) If you shift into gear and the clutch just keeps spinning then chances are your clutch or flywheel are worn and/or overheated. When I pushed the car on my stock clutch it held all of the time until I tracked it and burnt it one time. For the rest of that run it would only catch if I eased into the throttle slowly. I let it cool down for a while and it went back to normal gripping excep under high boost WOT pushes where I could feel/smell it slipping.

I ran into a new problem this past track day that I haven't had before and have never heard of. A few runs when I shifted into 4th I did so very fast and the the shifter lever was seated as if it were in ear but the clutch did not engage. It wasn't that the clutch was slipping though. The only way to get it to engage was to take it out of gear and then put it back in at a slighly slower speed. I have made quite a few fast shifts since then with the clutch engaging but every once in a while I catch it just a little faster than normal and it doesn't engage. I think it may have something to do with the clutch linkage or the shifter mechanism but I don't know. Any ideas?
    07 e92 335i Best run: 11.83@ 120.04 w/ 1.84 60' & 2127 DA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

your first problem sounds like the worst to be honest. by worst i mean most money out of pocket. from what you describe, it sounds as though your 1st and/or 2nd sychros are worn or have lost teeth. the oil in the 6mt tranny is lifetime... it never needs to be changed. i have never changed mine throughout the many stages my car has been though without any hiccups (except for clutch slipping which was remedied by an aftermarket stronger pressure plate/clutch).

the second problem happened to me once or twice on the stock clutch with fbos. when it did, is about the time i upgraded to spec stage 2+, never happened since and best of all, i keep my stock pedal pressure due to modifying the fulcrum point. and fwiw, i did the cdv fix as one of my first mods.

2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car always runs fine within a few minutes of the clutch issue .. I first had this problem when the car was brand new, and only just past break-in .. I just put it down to a weird anomaly with this car; only ever happens occasionally if I spin the wheels hard in first. If I do a softer launch, with just a little spin, I never have the issue.

I think I will go with the CDV delete soon .. and maybe other upgrades. Now with JB4/Meth, I tend to go very easy in first, because breaking traction is hard to avoid. Apparently I gave it a bit too much last night though!! Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your first problem sounds like the worst to be honest. by worst i mean most money out of pocket. from what you describe, it sounds as though your 1st and/or 2nd sychros are worn or have lost teeth.
    Surely if this was the case, i'd see problems on every 1-2 shift? But it's so rare .. and occurred since new. I'm no car tech though, so I have no idea how these things work!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Interesting I haven't had any issues with my 6mt. Are you still in warranty? You should get that first issue checked out ASAP.

Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Interesting I haven't had any issues with my 6mt. Are you still in warranty? You should get that first issue checked out ASAP.
    I do have lots of warranty, but also have a few mods to remove first.. I have ignored it until now because it's such a rare problem on my car. From my Google findings, some people have it a lot worse than me!

I'll just try to shift a bit slower from 1-2 ..
    Last edited by bigup; 07-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I do have lots of warranty, but also have a few mods to remove first.. I have ignored it until now because it's such a rare problem on my car. From my Google findings, some people have it a lot worse than me!

I'll just try to shift a bit slower from 1-2 ..
    They will often use the can't replicate excuse. Just keep harassing them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They will often use the can't replicate excuse. Just keep harassing them.
    Or go on a test drive with the tech to show him the problem...

Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Any update bigup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Any update bigup?
    Car is behaving right now .. both such rare problems, it's hard for even me to reproduce.

I've eased my launches a bit to avoid problem #2 .. it's saving my tires too!

There is of course a possibility that user error caused problem #1 .. shifting too quickly for my feet .. I dunno .. but this is the only car in about 17 years of driving standard that has been a bit finicky ..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    go with redline ATF (D4 or D6 , check weights though). W/ regard to the 2nd gear crunch, try shifting from 1-2 at higher RPMs; I find this works for me most of the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Google UUC cocktail, thats what I run in my gearbox
    Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My 2008 335xi 6mt ground on 1-2 from day one. Its a trans design thing imo. I found i could only avoid it when drag racing by revving the car hard in neutral a few times and ripping a few 1-2 shifts back and forth when stopped. Only after that trick did it behave better. You also need to watch your right arm and make sure you are pulling 100% straight back otherwise it seems to hang up because of the placement of reverse. Its a terrible trans design because of the 1-2 shift problem but otherwise seems pretty stout.

The stock clutch is a joke. It cant even take stock power without overheating. Even the most minor riding of the stock clutch on a drag launch and then letting it rip will toast it.

The cdv really is present to stop shock loading the trans which without it loosens it up a little whines- not good in a 50k car. So th cdv prevents shocking thr trans at the expense of the already underperforming clutch. Easy fix tho- just remove it.

IMO the combo of pathetic clutch and impossibly hard 1-2 shifts make it utterly pointless to try and drag race. Thus i just got my 2011 and its an auto.

Pull the CDV, its easy and you wont embarass yourself anymore as the lurching in 2nd gear on faster shifts will be gone.