Close

Thread: Bigtom FMIC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Bigtom FMIC

Hey fallas looking for a little info on the Big Tom FMIC

I Was previously looking into the STETT Version but since a conversation with "OddJob" he lead me to belive the the stett version is only rated to 620hp flow and lets be honest stett most likely jazzed that number. Just looking for a flow rating core size etc on the BigTom Version Thanks!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IDK if anyone has ever done any flow testing on the BTIC. That specific one is made in europe so i cant really translate the website to see if any specs are given. Google searching doesn't turn up anything.

Also, it will be a hassle to get that IC because it is made in europe. The other option is the CXracing intercooler. If you google "CXRacing intercooler 335i", you will get several threads about it. The CXIC has the same 2.5" inlet and outlet like the stock IC. It is a tad bit smaller than the BTIC but has identical HP gains. You will just need some couplers and some straight peices of pipe. You might also want someone to weld on come clips so you can bolt it to your bumper support.

EDIT: It looks like cxracing just developed a direct bolt on KIT for the N54!!! Just saw this post on the "other" forum.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556654
    2008 BSM 335i coupe - JB4, BMS intake, meth : Weekend warrior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    remember he's going with upgraded turbos, most intercoolers offered for the n54 were made with stock turbos in mind. very few companies allowed breathing room for upp'd turbos. i am not familiar with the cxr kit but assume it was built with stock turbos in mind as well. and i doubt OEM fitment is a prime concern for the OP, but it is a plus, it has the oem connections, like the RPi kit?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The CX racing intercooler core was actually made originally for High horsepower RX-7's. Thats what CXR is known for. When big tom did his first FMIC he pieced it together using a universal aftermarket intercooler core he found on the internet. This CXR IC is a universal intercooler. The N54 kit that CXR is making is just for people that are too lazy to piece an intercooler together themselves (which only costs about $300 with the CXR). This one was not designed at all for the N54 but that doesnt matter because all intercoolers accomplish the same thing. The perfomance aspect comes down to how effectively it performs its job. Pressure drop is also another factor. I dont think anyone has tested that with this IC yet.

Here is the exact IC that one forum member used when piecing together his kit
    http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...item588f074654

It states that its working pressure is 5-50PSI and its pressure drop is 2-5psi@ 35PSI and 0.2 to 0.5 @15PSI

How to and parts needed thread
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10647
    Last edited by indy99gpgt; 07-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ah i see so it was not designed for the n54 then. should be a possibility then. all intercoolers accomplish the same thing you're right, but some i/c's were designed around/for the n54, one in mind (because i had it) is the RPi kit, it has the exact same fittings on the end tanks to accept both the connectors, angled perfectly. some products offer just a normal tube off the endtank that you need a hose clamp to get a seal instead of the stock coupler. anyway hope the OP can get a working kit together. you would agree though that intercooler cores designed for the n54 like stett's, ams's, hpf's, rpi's, etc all were all designed and made to flow for stock turbo levels with slight headroom.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep, i completely agree with you about the flow design. The CXR IC or BT IC should give anyone proper headroom when going the aftermarket turbo route. Ill probably piece one together myself. Im just holding out to see if the single turbo setup ever gets revisited. There are probably plenty more universal intercoolers our there that will work. You can pick these CXR IC's from ebay sometimes at $175 shipped. Thats a steal! Sure the build quality isn't as great as an ETS or other comparable IC's and it requires a little more work on the end users part, but I cant justify spending $1000 compared to $300 for similar performance gains.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by indy99gpgt Click here to enlarge
    The CX racing intercooler core was actually made originally for High horsepower RX-7's. Thats what CXR is known for. When big tom did his first FMIC he pieced it together using a universal aftermarket intercooler core he found on the internet. This CXR IC is a universal intercooler. The N54 kit that CXR is making is just for people that are too lazy to piece an intercooler together themselves (which only costs about $300 with the CXR). This one was not designed at all for the N54 but that doesnt matter because all intercoolers accomplish the same thing. The perfomance aspect comes down to how effectively it performs its job. Pressure drop is also another factor. I dont think anyone has tested that with this IC yet.

Here is the exact IC that one forum member used when piecing together his kit
    http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...item588f074654

It states that its working pressure is 5-50PSI and its pressure drop is 2-5psi@ 35PSI and 0.2 to 0.5 @15PSI

How to and parts needed thread
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10647
    I Ordered the CXR IC from ebay way back for my N54. Lets just say it never made it to my car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator-N54 Click here to enlarge
    I Ordered the CXR IC from ebay way back for my N54. Lets just say it never made it to my car.
    Why is that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why is that?
    Had Metal shavings in side poorly put together the welds were terrible just a junk piece.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had Metal shavings in side poorly put together the welds were terrible just a junk piece.
    Did you have them send you another one to see if it had the same problem? Was it the ebay on or the one from the website? Im wondering if they sell their messups on ebay for a lower cost.

To me even with $#@!ty welds it still worth it. no one sees what it looks like. I would get one and pressure test it to make sure it doesnt leak thought. I still think the amount we as bmw enthusiats pay for mods is rediculous. Aftermarket intercoolers for other performance cars are much cheaper than our current solutions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you have them send you another one to see if it had the same problem? Was it the ebay on or the one from the website? Im wondering if they sell their messups on ebay for a lower cost.

To me even with $#@!ty welds it still worth it. no one sees what it looks like. I would get one and pressure test it to make sure it doesnt leak thought. I still think the amount we as bmw enthusiats pay for mods is rediculous. Aftermarket intercoolers for other performance cars are much cheaper than our current solutions.
    i got the one off eay for $150 + shipping and just got my refund. I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. So i'd rather give the bmw tax to have a worry free mind.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i got the one off eay for $150 + shipping and just got my refund. I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. So i'd rather give the bmw tax to have a worry free mind.
    No shame in that. If I wasn't a recent college grad with loan payments, I would be all over the more expensive mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No shame in that. If I wasn't a recent college grad with loan payments, I would be all over the more expensive mods.
    i Here ya brother!
    Click here to enlarge