Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Well that's it for NASA - end of the space shuttle program - deep space next?

Space Shuttle Atlantis touches down in Florida, won't be going back up again

By Tim Stevens Click here to enlarge posted Jul 21st 2011 6:00AM

Click here to enlarge

You already know how we feel about the Space Shuttle program coming to a close, but of course that was just a little premature. Now it's all done except for the mothballing, with the Atlantis touching down successfully at runway 15 at Kennedy Space Center. Crewmembers Chris Ferguson, Doug Hurley, Sandy Magnus, and Rex Walheim are back on our planet and, traveling at speeds decidedly slower than escape velocity, can officially put a cap onto this historic series of space missions that we, at least, will never forget. In the words of NASA: "Job well done, America."

For those interested, head over to NASA's website for the live coverage of this historic moment.
    So supposedly the next mission is for deep space exploration and building of a new vehicle that will be better equipped, more efficient/capable for deep space exploration. The reason that NASA ended the current program was because they went over budget each time the shuttle was launched. Either way, let's see how the privatized sector responds to this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Deep space being Moon and Mars, right?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mass Drivers and Ion Drives are the next step for space exploration... FTL is a pipe dream at this point... Deep Space should mean a Colony on the Moon, and missions to the edge of the solar system... I hope to see that as a reality before I die, but I'm not counting my chickens yet...
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It is a sad sad day for me.

I will explain why. Back in the day, between about 1930 and 1970 when the space program was really born and hit its peak, engineers (whom I call true engineers) made decisions and went through program schedules with much much less politics then we have today. Take my word for it, years in the engineering industry, I sit next to big names, the people that designed the RL10 booster engines; ex Pratt and Whitney and Rocketdyne rocket designers. One of my old pals (20 years my senior) single handedly designed the fuel delivery system for the RL10 and other rockets.

We all pretty much agree on one thing, we will not see the progress in the upcoming space programs that we've seen in the past 50 years. What took us 50 years to do back then, will take us 150 years to do now. Why?

Because of 'processes', 'tollgates', 'streamlining', 'action items' and all kinds of other utter corporate buzzword bull$#@! that gets in the way of doing actual engineering. I sit in meeting after meeting after meeting, to talk about what? Set up more meetings. I didnt go through 6+ years of hell in school to do this. My old timer friends, the ones who actually designed the $#@!ing tiles on the shuttle underbelly, (one tile sits on his desk as an ornament) will say that if nasa had to design a toilet seat it would take 6 months. In 1959 it would take 6 minutes.

Technology is NOT THE PROBLEM. WE HAVE IT, trust me we have it. But we wont implement it because my bosses' bosses' boss, says that he wants to set up more meetings to talk about the project action items that we didnt streamline last month during our all hands meeting.

I say $#@! you, let me do my job. And thats what me and every other engineer in industry/space program thinks when we hear how 80% of project managers talk.

Can we make it to mars? We can make it there yesterday. But we wont make it there until 2100 at this rate.

/rant
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Heres a beer to you.

My dad had all sorts of models and rockets that he got me into when i was a kid...now it seems I will have nothing for my kids to get into, other than being lazy and listening to emo music and justin bieber.

I want a revolution...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

So I guess Mars is next. Then after that, the aliens invade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    now it seems I will have nothing for my kids to get into, other than being lazy and listening to emo music and justin bieber.
    building fast cars!!! (and handing tools to dad)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge

I will explain why. Back in the day, between about 1930 and 1970 when the space program was really born and hit its peak, engineers (whom I call true engineers) made decisions and went through program schedules with much much less politics then we have today. Take my word for it, years in the engineering industry, I sit next to big names, the people that designed the RL10 booster engines; ex Pratt and Whitney and Rocketdyne rocket designers. One of my old pals (20 years my senior) single handedly designed the fuel delivery system for the RL10 and other rockets.

We all pretty much agree on one thing, we will not see the progress in the upcoming space programs that we've seen in the past 50 years. What took us 50 years to do back then, will take us 150 years to do now. Why?

Because of 'processes', 'tollgates', 'streamlining', 'action items' and all kinds of other utter corporate buzzword bull$#@! that gets in the way of doing actual engineering. I sit in meeting after meeting after meeting, to talk about what? Set up more meetings. I didnt go through 6+ years of hell in school to do this. My old timer friends, the ones who actually designed the $#@!ing tiles on the shuttle underbelly, (one tile sits on his desk as an ornament) will say that if nasa had to design a toilet seat it would take 6 months. In 1959 it would take 6 minutes.

Technology is NOT THE PROBLEM. WE HAVE IT, trust me we have it. But we wont implement it because my bosses' bosses' boss, says that he wants to set up more meetings to talk about the project action items that we didnt streamline last month during our all hands meeting.

I say $#@! you, let me do my job. And thats what me and every other engineer in industry/space program thinks when we hear how 80% of project managers talk.

Can we make it to mars? We can make it there yesterday. But we wont make it there until 2100 at this rate.

/rant
    I trained you well.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Pretty disappointed about this, I've always had an interest in space. Really enjoy watching documentaries about the planets and such. To bad the gaming industry doesn't focus much on space related games :/, their always fun.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

^ Dead Space Click here to enlarge

My gf's uncle's company is building a plasma rocket to travel to Mars with. Hopefully NASA will be around to get the rocket into space for testing.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

well i guess there wasnt much return in sending people into space anymore... i hope they start back up later
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    ^ Dead Space Click here to enlarge

My gf's uncle's company is building a plasma rocket to travel to Mars with. Hopefully NASA will be around to get the rocket into space for testing.
    Haha true, Mass Effect as well. ME3 should be interesting.Something really like Eve Online if anyone has tried it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Watch this video and you will understand why NASA went over budget =D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Tried to rep but need more spread, awesome and optimistic video, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I could Click here to enlarge
    Let's hope they succeed!
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I could Click here to enlarge
    Let's hope they succeed!
    I am ready to go =D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Space The Final Frontier: We got to explore the universe, meet new races, and blow them the $#@! up..

ME3 should be pretty sweet... Can't wait, already have it on pre-order...
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

We are far away from exploring other planets that actually have intelligent life the closest planet that resembles earth is 21 light years away.... by the time we make it there it might be gone by then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^yeah...but hopefully we can find a worm hole before then Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    ^yeah...but hopefully we can find a worm hole before then Click here to enlarge
    humanity will kill itself way before we discover worm hole.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    humanity will kill itself way before we discover worm hole.
    Such an optimist.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Such an optimist.
    i am a realist =D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    i am a realist =D
    I don't think human extermination in the next few years is realistic. Just please not before my car is done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge

/rant
    +1000000000

I work in the orthopedic industry and everyone is so $#@!ing scared of an FDA audit so we have to jump through hoops to get any change done, let alone new product. It takes months, hell, almost a year to launch a new product. It takes two weeks to correct a typo due to all the red tape when it could take less than ten seconds to modify and implement the change. It would also help if Management were worth a $#@! and don't get me started on most of the engineers. We have engineers that can't read a blueprint and have no understanding of GD&T whatsoever. That's $#@!ed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    +1000000000

I work in the orthopedic industry and everyone is so $#@!ing scared of an FDA audit so we have to jump through hoops to get any change done, let alone new product. It takes months, hell, almost a year to launch a new product. It takes two weeks to correct a typo due to all the red tape when it could take less than ten seconds to modify and implement the change. It would also help if Management were worth a $#@! and don't get me started on most of the engineers. We have engineers that can't read a blueprint and have no understanding of GD&T whatsoever. That's $#@!ed up.
    It blows so hard.

Sometimes I feel scared, because USA has turned into cluster$#@! of management processes and China is putting out better and newer $#@! all the time.

The MBA-speak is causing this country to fail.

Glad someone else sees it.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast