Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ... and 1-2 yr wait if you get them at all.
    this is the only part of your reply i have a problem with. please dont reply like this unless you know the truth man, i almost negged you for it, but have realized by now your posts/replies are usually controversial to get a rise out of people, or get an update/reply. the new turbo company they're working with is trucking out chra's at a turn around time that blows the original one out of the water. maybe your projected wait time is based on how long i waited, but you shouldn't use me to speak for the rest. and btw, you should 'see' how many sets of actuators are on the shop table, from what i remember it was a 4x5 stack, or 20. one of those is mine Click here to enlarge allbeit its by forge, a much more well established company, but nonetheless we should be seeing a very quick turn around time from customer purchase to receiving the package, i'd say 1-2 months, maybe 3 if they're busy that month.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    ya and idk anything about that to tell you the truth, however i will say this that my manifold are machined/cut differently from the rest. besides from the shop car i think im going to be the first one to have this type of manifold and actuator
    shhhhh man, no ones supposed to know until the modifications go public!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like something I've considered. Yet a more custom approach for those who don't care about warranties, stealth looks, or OEM like fitment.
    from the outside it looks the same as the original design. and oem fitment to the head and what not.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Matt, if that is directed at me that is not the case at all. I was speaking of another shop, and it was an off topic counter to a situation that OP had edited out of this thread. Just don't want anyone to further get confused.
    i appreciate that rob, it proves to me once more what kind of man you are and shop you run... a lot of members on here would jump at the chance to bash asr, given their customer service. but that is for a different thread, again i appreciate you trying to set the record straight.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Might jump on the ASR Upgrade as well.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    to the OP is this just a CHRA replacement or the whole turbine AR?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    nonetheless we should be seeing a very quick turn around time from customer purchase to receiving the package, i'd say 1-2 months, maybe 3 if they're busy that month.
    oh thats good, maybe they can get Gsmooth his $ back now then and take of the other issues they have. but thats all OT, i am interested inthe differnt manifolds though, and that is on-topic

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terminator-N54 Click here to enlarge
    to the OP is this just a CHRA replacement or the whole turbine AR?
    CHRA and sorry oddjobClick here to enlarge its just so exciting !
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't sound like manifolds/housings are different as externally they look the same (as mentioned above). Probably some changes in the machine process or techniques.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm curious as I thought the ASR turbos where full upgrades, are there companies that upgrade the turbos completely?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I'm curious as I thought the ASR turbos where full upgrades, are there companies that upgrade the turbos completely?
    here you can read up on it! im probably not the best person to be answering questions

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...sr+engineering
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    oh thats good, maybe they can get Gsmooth his $ back now then and take of the other issues they have. but thats all OT, i am interested inthe differnt manifolds though, and that is on-topic
    no doubt man, i think everyone on here wants everything resolved, in one way or another.. and from george's recent posts, it seems like he has things completely 'under control', even though his money still away.

Doesn't sound like manifolds/housings are different as externally they look the same (as mentioned above). Probably some changes in the machine process or techniques.
    good deduction Click here to enlarge if abid himself doesnt post what the change is when it's released, i will.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    here you can read up on it! im probably not the best person to be answering questions

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...sr+engineering
    Thanks for the link it has a lot of information in it and it looks as if they'll make a good bit of power!. But my question remains, is there any company that actually upgrades the turbos entirely?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the link it has a lot of information in it and it looks as if they'll make a good bit of power!. But my question remains, is there any company that actually upgrades the turbos entirely?
    in what sense? of a new mani/turbine housing? then a new comp housing too? maybe you mean a sized turbo like a garrett series. i believe there is a thread on n54tech (correct me if im wrong anyone) where someone mentioned he's going with garrett 20 series. other than this, no one makes a twin upgrade like that afaik.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    in what sense? of a new mani/turbine housing? then a new comp housing too? maybe you mean a sized turbo like a garrett series. i believe there is a thread on n54tech (correct me if im wrong anyone) where someone mentioned he's going with garrett 20 series. other than this, no one makes a twin upgrade like that afaik.
    Ahhh that's right I believe seeing a picture where it seemed as if the manifold and turbos are one piece on the N54 right? That would make more sense as to why everyone was doing this swap vs getting completely new turbos. I don't have an N54 but was curious since I will be swapping the turbos on my N63. I know the N63 turbos are independent of the manifold so hopefully replacing the turbos with larger ones shouldn't be too difficult. And yes I know ASR is working on the N63 but now this has got ms wondering if they are taking out new turbos or just upgrading stock ones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ahhh that's right I believe seeing a picture where it seemed as if the manifold and turbos are one piece on the N54 right? That would make more sense as to why everyone was doing this swap vs getting completely new turbos. I don't have an N54 but was curious since I will be swapping the turbos on my N63. I know the N63 turbos are independent of the manifold so hopefully replacing the turbos with larger ones shouldn't be too difficult. And yes I know ASR is working on the N63 but now this has got ms wondering if they are taking out new turbos or just upgrading stock ones.
    correct, the mani and turbine housing are cast on the n54. and it is the reason we see chra upgrades and also larger comp wheels/clipped turbines. the n63 is an awesome design, especially the turbos in the vee, i cant wait till asr is done with everything on that end, should be beast, i also like that the n63 crosses many platforms. im not sure what they plan on doing, i havn't asked to be honest.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    correct, the mani and turbine housing are cast on the n54. and it is the reason we see chra upgrades and also larger comp wheels/clipped turbines. the n63 is an awesome design, especially the turbos in the vee, i cant wait till asr is done with everything on that end, should be beast, i also like that the n63 crosses many platforms. im not sure what they plan on doing, i havn't asked to be honest.
    Yeah that's a terrible design I don't know what BMW was thinking. The N63 is a nice design in the V and reduces turbo lag but will limit turbo size.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bet they were thinking:
    1) space is tight no room for individual parts while retaining good fitment.
    2) no one will be able to upgrade them either, or this will make it a huge pain in the ass for them if they try.

My $.02.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bet they were thinking:
    1) space is tight no room for individual parts while retaining good fitment.
    2) no one will be able to upgrade them either, or this will make it a huge pain in the ass for them if they try.

My $.02.
    Well on the N63 they use a Vband housing to get around the space concerns. But your right it sure puts a damper on development of aftermarket turbos. Still for someone replacing damaged stock turbos it's a hell of a pain I imagine and probably more expensive to produce.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    complete chra replacements(wheels everything), actuators, oil line fittings because these are oil cooled only, and they modify the stock manifold.

me2!

real men drive MT lol

so far ive waited a month mainly because i was waiting on the new actuators :b but then again the turbos were already in stock. also RB has a pretty long wait time also....
    i'd rather give another 1k and wait a month then pay less and wait 1-2 years.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scottp999 Click here to enlarge
    Very nice. Enjoy. Going with ASR's when your physically near them makes it an easier decision.
    Very good point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent pics and thanks for the update.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont' think changing the manifolds would do dick. I have cut the turbos off of a set of cores I have, and the manifolds look *OK* inside, but the main issue is where they neck down into the tiny turbine housing. To see any advantages from a better manifold, you would need to replace the turbine housings. I'm not kidding, the turbine housing inlet is only about 1.25" I.D. I could measure them and give an exact number if anyone even gives a crap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I dont' think changing the manifolds would do dick. I have cut the turbos off of a set of cores I have, and the manifolds look *OK* inside, but the main issue is where they neck down into the tiny turbine housing. To see any advantages from a better manifold, you would need to replace the turbine housings. I'm not kidding, the turbine housing inlet is only about 1.25" I.D. I could measure them and give an exact number if anyone even gives a crap.
    Why would anyone consider making a new manifold and sticking the stock turbos back on there though? I'm not sure how tight space is in an N54 but is there no space for a tubular type manifold?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Space is very tight. It would be very tricky to cram bigger twin housings in there, not to mention not being obvious to onlookers. New downpipes would be required to meet up with the new turbine housings, so you can't throw stock DPs back on for any reason. Induction tubes are undersized as is for upgrades such as RBs, so replacing them would be nice but there would be no option if the compressor housing was position differently. You'd have to drop the engine to ever put back on the stock tubes if you wish to return to stock for whatever reason. Youd have to make custom provisions to utilize the OEM actuators as well as custom water and coolant lines. Then once all of that is addressed, bigger housings very well could introduce much more lag (which very few find acceptable). If lag is too substantial, it could also cost more headache in tuning. At a point, going to a bigger single is probably the best solution. But then you have the fuel limitation and tuning issues that are being worked currently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe there is actually quite a bit of room in there. I think the misconception comes from people installing downpipes and seeing what a PITA that is. Once you have those out and you remove the passenger side motor mount, you would see that there is a decent amount of space up above that could probably facilitate bigger turbos (not huge, just a bit larger).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont think theres a misconception on my behalf. I have been under there, swapped turbos, considered what you are saying, etc. Not saying it wouldnt be possible, it likely is, but it will not be easy and will open a pandoras box of other issues (as listed above). Additionally I can only imagine the wrath the "masses" would give a kit that could require grinding, cutting, removing "unnecessary" parts XYZ, or otherwise general hacking for clearance purposes. Some wouldnt care, but most would right now. In 10 or so years, alot more will probably care less about doing such things on their BMW that is no longer "new".

I'd say the vast majority of peeps would rather have something that easily installs, is a clean factory looking install, is easily reversible, has great drivability, makes substantially more power, is plug and play, works with existing mods or other readily available components, and is affordable. Not just 1 or 2 of those. If you want only to make substantially more power, a big single setup is probably the best answer as it is most simplistic. But that is only my $.02.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast