Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

updates on the mtech?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    its going up? to what?
    The turbos will be $2799 soon, our introductory price is $2499 for the first 5 sets, I've got one spot left...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dark Phantom Click here to enlarge
    updates on the mtech?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Looking good man!
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't understand the argument about comparo's not being fair because the upgrade is running @19psi. Isn't this all about maximizing performance with some (varying) regard for reliability?

If this is the case, seems to me a fair comparison would be for someone with stockers & similar bolt-ons to dyno @19psi on pump gas with no meth rather than to cut the balls off the upgraded turbos.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand the argument about comparo's not being fair because the upgrade is running @19psi. Isn't this all about maximizing performance with some (varying) regard for reliability?

If this is the case, seems to me a fair comparison would be for someone with stockers & similar bolt-ons to dyno @19psi on pump gas with no meth rather than to cut the balls off the upgraded turbos.
    You fail to understand that dynoing at the same psi would show the results the turbo make based on flowing air at the same boost level. Bumping up the boost doesnt show anything aside from the fact that the turbos made power with more boost....no kidding.

take a gt30 vs a gt35, run them both at 20psi, which one do you think will put down a higher number? Why do you think this?
    Same concept should apply to these.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    You fail to understand that dynoing at the same psi would show the results the turbo make based on flowing air at the same boost level. Bumping up the boost doesnt show anything aside from the fact that the turbos made power with more boost....no kidding.

take a gt30 vs a gt35, run them both at 20psi, which one do you think will put down a higher number? Why do you think this?
    Yes and no though, not all boost is created equal and different turbos will still flow difference CFM at different areas of the curve at the same boost.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I see where laloosh is coming from and to be honest, it makes perfect sense. A comparison of both turbos at the same boost levels will show what kind of gains we can expect to see from the upgraded snails at the same PSI. By doing this, we can get a good idea of how much more the upgraded turbos flow over the stockers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Got PSI Click here to enlarge
    I see where laloosh is coming from and to be honest, it makes perfect sense. A comparison of both turbos at the same boost levels will show what kind of gains we can expect to see from the upgraded snails at the same PSI. By doing this, we can get a good idea of how much more the upgraded turbos flow over the stockers.
    He is definitely correct that we should see both turbos at their best but I was pointing out boost is not all equal necessarily.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I understand the science. My suggestion was to do comparo dynos @19psi on pump gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    I understand the science. My suggestion was to do comparo dynos @19psi on pump gas.
    good luck getting 19psi on pumpgas on stock turbos lol. to do this comparison you would need to lower the psi of the upp'd ones. i believe jp has stated before (maybe on e90) that he believes the sweetspot of these upp'ed turbos is above 18psi. if this is the case maybe that's why we won't see a same psi dyno, sorry alex. but i would be all with you Click here to enlarge stock turbos at 19 psi are going to be horrendously inefficient from looking at the compressor maps. so comparing these high psi numbers will in turn probably show a larger delta Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    good luck getting 19psi on pumpgas on stock turbos lol.
    Good point as well Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I ran 19psi on the stock turbos, not on pump obviously, without any problems. Either drop both to 16, or do racegas on both at 19psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

^ what he said.

Pump vs pump @ ~16psi
    Racegas vs racegas @ ~19psi

That should tell the tale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I ran 19psi on the stock turbos, not on pump obviously, without any problems. Either drop both to 16, or do racegas on both at 19psi.
    I was just reading some things Terry was saying and he states that 14 psi provides the peak level for the stock turbos and anything beyond that they are out of the efficiency range. So why would you want to push them to 19 psi?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I was just reading some things Terry was saying and he states that 14 psi provides the peak level for the stock turbos and anything beyond that they are out of the efficiency range. So why would you want to push them to 19 psi?
    i guess he meant PEAK 19 psi at 5500 rpm maybe not at redline.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

You should probably ask terry why his street maps hit 15-16 psi and race maps hit 18plus then lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I was talking about boost at redline (~6800-7000rpm). Even our race maps taper down to around 14psi there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I was talking about boost at redline (~6800-7000rpm). Even our race maps taper down to around 14psi there.
    I see, so what is max boost then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I see, so what is max boost then?
    The optimal curve on a stock turbo modified car with race gas/meth is around 17.5psi @ 5500rpm tapering to 14psi @ 7000rpm. Sometimes you can push boost up a little higher and pickup some dyno power but on the road doesn't really help much unless DA is super low. Now with a better compressor and less restrictive turbine I expect to find max power around 19-21psi taper to 16-18psi @ 7000rpm. But it's all conjecture at this point from my end. JP did some dyno work so he can comment on what is working best for his setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

muy interesante

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    muy interesante
    verdad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

The stock turbos can't support 18+psi on pump gas, these upgraded ones can. I don't need to do any specific testing for anyone, I did this for myself and the gains were there. I wasn't going to run around with the stock turbos at 18+psi, but I can with these upgraded ones on pump gas. I'm happy. With some meth or race gas it will be even more fun.

I said in the original thread on e90post: at the same low psi there wasn't much to write home about. But at 17..18..19psi where the stock turbos wouldn't be able to play on pump gas, these ones shined.. In fact these have shined so well that I can't even enjoy the car at this point without getting a new clutch/flywheel. I'll be in LA next week for work, so while I'm there hopefully the clutch/flywheel go in.
    Last edited by jpsimon; 05-04-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    The stock turbos can't support 18+psi on pump gas, these upgraded ones can. I don't need to do any specific testing for anyone, I did this for myself and the gains were there. I wasn't going to run around with the stock turbos at 18+psi, but I can with these upgraded ones on pump gas. I'm happy. With some meth or race gas it will be even more fun.

I said in the original thread on e90post: at the same low psi there wasn't much to write home about. But at 17..18..19psi where the stock turbos wouldn't be able to play on pump gas, these ones shined.. In fact these have shined so well that I can't even enjoy the car at this point without getting a new clutch/flywheel. I'll be in LA next week for work, so while I'm there hopefully the clutch/flywheel go in.
    That makes sense to me and if you are happy that is all that matters.

From the sound of it, if you could do it over again, you would. A lot of people want to break it down know exactly the 1/4 mile, 60-130, dyno advantage and so forth.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast