Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

jpsimon upgraded turbos results

I thought I should share this with the community here. These are EPL Sport Turbos and If I'm not mistaken they are upgraded stock turbos. Here is a link to the original thread that contains pictures and details http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355162

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    ok this was a long time coming, but I can finally share some info with you guys! :party0030:

Here are the results from my initial test day. Remember this is an AWD Mustang Dyno so the numbers are smaller than most people are used to seeing on this forum. For comparable numbers to a typical dynojet, add 12% to what you see here. Everything you see here was done on Shell 93 octane pump gas.

Take note: The baseline you see on this graph is roughly ~20whp more than what would have been observed had I not had a completely catless exhaust + upgraded FMIC + intakes.

Peak gains: 40awhp/50awtq on pump gas alone

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

---

The first 5 sets will be sold for $2499, after that they'll be $2899. (This is the pricing if you send in a set of cores).

These are available as of today from EPL :drink:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I know Mustangs usually read lower, especially AWD mustangs, but was this an AWD car?

Honestly, not as big of an advantage as I would have hoped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i saw this on e90, not bad for the price, but as you can see, the hp curve is only bumped up, just like adding meth or some hp adder. what i want to see is no HP loss at top end, or near to none. the torque isnt bad, i am dieing to see how these curves compares to the curves my car will produce ever so soon. i cant really compare peak figures because every dyno is different, especially a mustang dyno. but my thread in the future will have a 'baseline' like his, pre-turbo upgrade same mods.

EDIT: sticky, yes jp's car is awd
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jay I hope you take me for a spin when you get your turbos Click here to enlarge

edit: +1 JPs car is AWD and its a little more then I would want to spend on modified STOCK turbos
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    Jay I hope you take me for a spin when you get your turbos Click here to enlarge

edit: +1 JPs car is AWD and its a little more then I would want to spend on modified STOCK turbos
    you know it man, i cant wait to feel it for myself. it'll be crazy after waiting the time i have Click here to enlarge but good things come to those who wait Click here to enlarge

i agree with you, but isn't the compressor wheel changed? and the exhaust turbine clipped? if thats the case, its old school technology, imo. but i shouldnt be talking, jp should post his feelings if he's here.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    you know it man, i cant wait to feel it for myself. it'll be crazy after waiting the time i have Click here to enlarge but good things come to those who wait Click here to enlarge

i agree with you, but isn't the compressor wheel changed? and the exhaust turbine clipped? if thats the case, its old school technology, imo. but i shouldnt be talking, jp should post his feelings if he's here.
    thats the spirit Click here to enlarge

If I'm not mistaken you are correct. It is a compressor wheel upgrade and they clipped the turbos too. He should join the forum and post his feelings. He seems to like them tho

btw what LSD did you go with? I want to add a LSD, but I have a welded diff, which is just my luck Click here to enlarge and my only option that I know is to buy a complete diff from Quaife and hope to be able to sell mine....thats a lot of $$$$
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    thats the spirit Click here to enlarge

If I'm not mistaken you are correct. It is a compressor wheel upgrade and they clipped the turbos too. He should join the forum and post his feelings. He seems to like them tho

btw what LSD did you go with? I want to add a LSD, but my only option that I know is to buy a complete diff from Quaife and hope to be able to sell mine because thats a lot of $$$$. I have a welded diff, which is just my luck Click here to enlarge
    i also 'had' a welded diff. i traded mine a while back with an old member of e90. his handle is OCha. we swapped diffs +2k from me. his bolted, with quaife already installed for my stocker. it included the driveshaft as the diffs, bolted and welded i believe are slightly different. that or the shop felt it was easier to install/deinstall driveshaft attached Click here to enlarge while waiting i was entertained by some e46mcoupe difting around the shop lol. i guess i just got lucky he was looking to trade. his shop is in orlando. not a bad drive too Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good. These are just half upgrades IIRC and on pump gas. Hopefully JP can do a dynojet dyno for comparison. But the full upgrades should make in the 500rw+ range on pump+meth. Closing in on supercharged M3 territory. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Looks good. These are just half upgrades IIRC and on pump gas. Hopefully JP can do a dynojet dyno for comparison. But the full upgrades should make in the 500rw+ range on pump+meth. Closing in on supercharged M3 territory. Click here to enlarge
    Considering M3's are over 550 wheel on pump meth... I wouldn't call 380 whp closing in, a looooooooong way to go.

Plus, my SC is sold Terry, the gap simply will be out of reach. I tried to explain this to you guys years ago...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Considering M3's are over 550 wheel on pump meth... I wouldn't call 380 whp closing in, a looooooooong way to go.

Plus, my SC is sold Terry, the gap simply will be out of reach. I tried to explain this to you guys years ago...
    Going to trade it in an upgrade to a 335i finally? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i also 'had' a welded diff. i traded mine a while back with an old member of e90. his handle is OCha. we swapped diffs +2k from me. his bolted, with quaife already installed for my stocker. it included the driveshaft as the diffs, bolted and welded i believe are slightly different. that or the shop felt it was easier to install/deinstall driveshaft attached Click here to enlarge while waiting i was entertained by some e46mcoupe difting around the shop lol. i guess i just got lucky he was looking to trade. his shop is in orlando. not a bad drive too Click here to enlarge
    lucky! I need to find a deal like that
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Going to trade it in an upgrade to a 335i finally? Click here to enlarge
    Our definitions of upgrade are vastly different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think we'll be seeing 470-480whp on pump/meth with upgraded turbos and basic bolt on mods. And with similar torque numbers which is something a centrifugal SC'd NA motor can only dream off Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    I think we'll be seeing 470-480whp on pump/meth with upgraded turbos and basic bolt on mods. And with similar torque numbers which is something a centrifugal SC'd NA motor can only dream off Click here to enlarge
    Well, I a lot of people dream about a curve like a high revving centrifugal SC'd motor. Not to mention, the turbo cars will be dreaming about the peak power.

Regardless, centrifugal SC's are certainly not the only option for motors that start NA. Click here to enlarge

I can't wait to see what the finished ASR product puts down.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Pointless, yea lets compare stock turbos at 16psi vs upgrades one at 19 lol. Should have kept the same boost for the comparo dyno and then did his 19psi run on the upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the turbos didn't come alive until 18-19psi... but the stock turbos would never be able to run that. If you want way more power at lower boost levels you'll need a stage 2 style full upgrade. That's no secret.

I made peak gains of 40awhp/50awtq, with much more power towards redline compared to the stockers. Honestly if anyone was expecting more with this style upgrade they weren't being realistic.

I'm extremely happy with the car, it feels incredible... I just need a new clutch now

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the turbos didn't come alive until 18-19psi. The stock turbos would never be able to run that. I made peak gains of 40awhp/50awtq, with much more power towards redline. Honestly if anyone was expecting more with this style upgrade they weren't being realistic.

I'm extremely happy with the car, it feels incredible... I just need a new clutch now
    Hey, nice to have you here.

Don't be offended by this, but would you mind introducing yourself and giving a little background? I just would like to learn more about who you are and what you do with BMW's in particular.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I'm Jpsimon and I spend too much time on car forums Click here to enlarge I don't "do" anything with BMW's except drive mine. I got a nice tax return this year and was anxious to upgrade my turbos... the stars aligned and it turned out EPL was literally 3 miles from my house. A buddy of mine who I went to school with told me to give them a call and the rest is history. I'm just a simple car enthusiast who wanted a couple upgraded turbos on his car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Pointless, yea lets compare stock turbos at 16psi vs upgrades one at 19 lol. Should have kept the same boost for the comparo dyno and then did his 19psi run on the upgrades.

I agree. straight comparison is what we want.. Either stock or modded doesn't matter, as long it was the same on both, same PSI.. I realize that they should be capable of more PSI, but thats not really the point, although would be nice to see that as well. I don't mind seeing it on a mustang as thats what i use as well.. but apples-apples is what counts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well you won't be seeing any more dynos from me for while, my clutch just simply can't take it. next mod is a new clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm Jpsimon and I spend too much time on car forums Click here to enlarge I don't "do" anything with BMW's except drive mine. I got a nice tax return this year and was anxious to upgrade my turbos... the stars aligned and it turned out EPL was literally 3 miles from my house. A buddy of mine who I went to school with told me to give them a call and the rest is history. I'm just a simple car enthusiast who wanted a couple upgraded turbos on his car
    Very cool! Sounds great and happy to have you here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its cool, plus i just re-read it and saw they are only stg1 upgrades, much more understandable now..

**BTW- these do not have wastegate upgrades either yes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also, my car is currently in the shop... was the victim of a hit-and-run last weekend

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no wastegate fix per say. I'm biased though because I never had a hint of WG rattle with the stockers, so I'm just hoping for the best.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya, i was never worried until i put a different set of stockers on and its now horrible..i used to just brush it off when peole said its loud and embarrising, Karma's a $#@!.. thats why i ask if these had them or not. Keep us up-to-date on these they look promising. is further tuning still suggested? Is there a proprietary tuner for these Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast