Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

m3...smoother shifting?

I got a e92 m3 6-speed ~15,000 miles, have been driving stick for a maybe 3 1/2 years...my previous car was an e46 m3 which was also 6-speed.

So lately i have been feeling like im destroying my clutch...reversing out of my garage i obviously have to ride the clutch alittle and i try to keep it under 1000rpm but when i push the clutch back in after reversing i hear a chatter type of sound i even smelt clutch once after backing out....1st to 2nd is up in the air i can get it smooth sometimes other times i get a bad jerk usually because the car isnt warmed up yet so i try to keep the revs under 3000rpm...2nd to 3rd is also similar sometimes smooth sometimes a jerk with sounds coming from the rear....i have recently heard about rev matching so i have been practicing and today going from 5th to 4th i smelt some bad clutch for atleast 8mins driving on the freeway Click here to enlarge i also tried 3rd to 2nd and spun the rear tired alittle got it perfect once...before rev matching i would try to downshift to slow the car down so 5th clutch in 4th clutch out no rev matching...

i might be getting even more paranoid but driving the car isnt fun anymore because it seems like im destroying it...on the freeway i tend to keep it in 5th and just slowly accelerate without downshifting also...now i dont no if thats wrong or right but im hoping some of you more experience drivers can help me out!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like you are riding the clutch hard on downshifts and that should not be the case. When rev matching you should be worrying a bit about how much throttle with your right foot to get it down. You are doing something wrong not that I think I could rev match better.

I don't think the chatter is the flyhweel, maybe, but I'm not really to sure. Often chatter in manual cars is attributed to it but you are running the stock flywheel so that should not be the case.

Not downshifting on the freeway or babying it is definitely not how things should be. You should not have any major issues taking it to the dealer as you are running software they can not detect. Hopefully someone here can help you before that route is necessary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah i have noticed that im not giving enough blip of the the throttle so im practicing that....i just try to let the clutch out as fast as possbile after blipping the throttle so i might have just rode it too much on that occasion

im not sure what it is but everytime i push the clutch in at low engine speed over ~500rpm it makes a sound maybe it more of a click?

so leaving it in 5th and accelerating to lets say 100+ is bad? i should downshift into 4th when accelerating? well i have been to the dealer they notcied i had an aftermarket tune because i was gong to get my alarm coded but they were cool about it, their a more lenient dealership

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just wondering if a CDV delete will help you at all?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i should have added that i removed the clutch spring and added a clutch stop....i heard there was no CDV on the E9X?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xxe92xx Click here to enlarge
    i should have added that i removed the clutch spring and added a clutch stop....i heard there was no CDV on the E9X?
    Honestly, some people say there is a CDV and have removed it and other say they don't have it.

I don't know what to believe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    really? all i read about was a spring and thats what i removed....anyone else wana chime in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I too have clutch spring delete and stock CDV, and I get a lot of chatter when I let out the clutch into neutral at low RPM's. It seems that it is common on 6MT's and your probably just hearing it due to the lack of sound deadening on the M3. Ive had my car for two years now and I hear the same noise everytime I drive, yet my transmission is impeccably smooth (with the exception of my 1-2 shift, its an 08 issue). Its most likely just a little flywheel slop.

As for your shifting issues, It sounds like you're just riding the clutch a little too long on downshifts. Don't be afraid to let the clutch out a little quicker and be more aggressive with your blips. The best advice is to just keep practicing and maybe watch some track videos on youtube to see how other drivers are doing it.

Also, if you're doing a pull on the highway t0 100+, downshift into 3rd or 4th. It'll make your life much easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah i noticed i wasnt blipping the throttle enough....and i know i should downshift but i mean if im already in 5th and lazy accelerating in 5th too 100+ isnt going to be negative right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2134 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xxe92xx Click here to enlarge
    yeah i noticed i wasnt blipping the throttle enough....and i know i should downshift but i mean if im already in 5th and lazy accelerating in 5th too 100+ isnt going to be negative right?
    Nope, won't be negative to accelerate to 100 in 5th.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im really interested in improving my driving skill because this is a drivers car and to handle the actual power it takes skill....straight line drag racing isnt why i bought this car

so suggestions are welcome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the best way to find out is to beat on it for a day or 2, i mean drive a bit more aggressive, maybe not actually beat on it, but as if you didn't care. and maybe you would see what your doing right/wrong.. thats how i learned..