Close

View Poll Results: What do you think of BMW going to front wheel drive?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • FWD sucks, period.

38 38.38%
  • Leave front wheel drive to Mini and rear wheel drive to BMW

58 58.59%
  • It's a good idea, I like it.

3 3.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    This 'decision' stinks like the decision to introduce the 5GT... The numbers will speak for themselves if they decide to go through with this... Maybe...
    The 5 GT was a disaster because they created a niche nobody wanted and also priced it insanely high. It also only had a V8 option at first, idiotic considering the people who were to buy it were supposed to be previous wagon customers who largely bought entry 6 cylinders.

These will be so cheap they will sell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    While the rest of us, will cry and whine and complain, but we are not what drives this company, we are not what makes more money for it, for we are maybe 1% of the big picture for BMW, while the rest who care only about status are the other 99%... (My numbers are probably skewed, but paint the picture I want, i hope)
    So the ultimate drivers aren't what drive ultimate driving machines?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    maybe the avg consumer will feel the status has been comprised
    The Average Consumer is not anyone on this or any other forum... Not to downplay forums, but Forums represent a Small Statistic in the Overall picture of consumers.

Most Forum Members know the difference between FWD, RWD and AWD. I'm not saying the Avg Consumer is stupid, but when they buy a BMW, AUDI, PORCHE, BENZ, etc... they aren't looking at if it's FWD, RWD, AWD, they are looking at "What's my status driving this? What is the MPG's i'm getting? Does it have Leather? Will I look better in this or one of the other brands?

Some dealerships don't mind working with someone who know's what they are talking about, but it also makes it harder to throw on extras (Most forum members know what options they want, and which ones they don't. While the Avg Consumer only know's it costs 60k MSRP, and the dealer will make it easily 70, 80, 90k depending on options. Case in point, I saw a lady with an M6. Will she ever use the power that an M6 has? No probably not, a 640i or 650i probably would have sufficed for her purposes, but I doubt the stealership explained that to her, all they saw was $$$ and got her into something that probably is wasted, does she know it's RWD? Probably not, and probably didn't care either, she just looking at the status symbol of being in a BMW with a $90k price tag.

Ask the Average consumer what engine is in their car. Most won't be able to tell you it's an N54, S54, N55, N63, etc... Most don't care. It gets them from point A to point B. And in some cases what they think is in their car, isn't.
    Last edited by FLYING X5; 07-11-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: More fuel for the Fire
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Case in point, I saw a lady with an M6. Will she ever use the power that an M6 has? No probably not, a 640i or 650i probably would have sufficed for her purposes, but I doubt the stealership explained that to her, all they saw was $$$ and got her into something that probably is wasted, does she know it's RWD? Probably not, and probably didn't care either, she just looking at the status symbol of being in a BMW with a $90k price tag.
    Unfortunately, completely true.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ask the Average consumer what engine is in their car. Most won't be able to tell you it's an N54, S54, N55, N63, etc... Most don't care. It gets them from point A to point B. And in some cases what they think is in their car, isn't.
    This is true as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The weight savings of having FWD makes small FWD cars quicker than having them RWD. Being quicker is always a good argument in my books Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    The weight savings of having FWD makes small FWD cars quicker than having them RWD. Being quicker is always a good argument in my books Click here to enlarge
    Is the Cooper S faster than the 135?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is the Cooper S faster than the 135?
    135i is quite big with a big engine compared to Mini. Aren't they planning FWD for smaller cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    135i is quite big with a big engine compared to Mini. Aren't they planning FWD for smaller cars?
    Yes, but they are also planning 3 cylinder motors for them. I don't see these cars are really offering any sort of performance advantage due to their form factor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You didn't get the point here. FWD sucks, period.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, but they are also planning 3 cylinder motors for them. I don't see these cars are really offering any sort of performance advantage due to their form factor.
    For the tiny 3 cylinder FWD is the best choice.

I would say given a small engine and limited budget FWD is a good choice. One can build good FWD cars for up to 300hp. Listen what your favorite Click here to enlarge , Jeremy, has to say about 300hp FWD Focus RS: "I have to say that even when the weather is awful, the grip and the poise are excellent. Better than excellent. I can't imagine that even an Evo X is going to pull away. I know for a fact that on a damp road, it would leave my CLK Black for dead."

I think i got everyone's point though, you just don't like FWD cars. I've driven RWD the most (which i kinda like the most), but a lot AWD and FWD as well, and they are way different indeed, but in the small end FWD has its strengths. Sure, it does not drift like 1M... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say given a small engine and limited budget FWD is a good choice. One can build good FWD cars for up to 300hp. Listen what your favorite , Jeremy, has to say about 300hp FWD Focus RS: "I have to say that even when the weather is awful, the grip and the poise are excellent. Better than excellent. I can't imagine that even an Evo X is going to pull away. I know for a fact that on a damp road, it would leave my CLK Black for dead."
    I love the Focus RS. The thing is, that is a performance car and has a history with FWD performance. These are just cheap commuter cars and BMW has RWD performance options available meaning this will never be the best option one can get.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not a fan of this decision, but it will be hard for me to hold it against them as long as they keep making great RWD cars in parallel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im with Eleventeen, I was a proud owner of an 02 MCS for 9 yrs and would vouche for the brand. BMW did an excellent job with the MINI lets not forget MINI has kept BMW WAYYY afloat, so I reckon that the smaller BMWs will use the NEW Mini Platform and its suffice to say they're great SO stop whinning an move on. You have rear wheel drive enjoy it. I happened to have the priveledge to have them both. Thank God on it and I loved both configurations!!! Hasta Luego amigos!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey STICKY when u coming to the Island? Let me know, ok!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge

hey man I am from the island as well. Nice to see another islander here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    Im with Eleventeen, I was a proud owner of an 02 MCS for 9 yrs and would vouche for the brand. BMW did an excellent job with the MINI lets not forget MINI has kept BMW WAYYY afloat, so I reckon that the smaller BMWs will use the NEW Mini Platform and its suffice to say they're great SO stop whinning an move on. You have rear wheel drive enjoy it. I happened to have the priveledge to have them both. Thank God on it and I loved both configurations!!! Hasta Luego amigos!!
    Nobody is saying the Cooper S is not great. It is, just keep the FWD in MINI where they belong and don't take BMW even further downscale going against tradition.

They have a brand to stick their FWD's, why muddy things up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Next year I would think. I have two trips to Europe (leaving today as a matter of fact) so vacation time is pretty much booked for now. Maybe in the Winter although that probably isn't a good time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I think the votes speak for themselves... Nobody thinks its a great idea, majority think it should stay the way it is... and the rest are bias, Click here to enlarge

I can't wait to go back to PR... It's been a couple years for me, always in Ponce though... Next time I think I'll hit San Juan.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sticky WINTER time is the time of PARTIES in the Island, when SNOWBIRDS like youClick here to enlarge come down here for sun. LOL There are always parties here in Christmas time and a lot of Puertorican MOONSHINE aka "Caņita" spelled Kan-nieta. Which is now LEGAL to produce and distribute only on CHRISTMAS time. Hell, I got some made out of MANGO-PASSION Fruit and its a killer and another one from PINEAPPLE-COCONUT and that one is a bomb!!! If I still have my home you can stay over for free just rent yourself a car and make sure your GARMIN is updated with Puerto Rico Map and NO you dont have to shave your legs I got a girlfriend LOLClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DUH, I did not read your post Flying X5 , let me know when u also come down here. Ponce is to damn hot, San Juan area is goodClick here to enlarge but crime a little high but manageableClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I still have my home you can stay over for free just rent yourself a car and make sure your GARMIN is updated with Puerto Rico Map and NO you dont have to shave your legs I got a girlfriend LOL
    Damn that is one hell of a generous offer!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the way it looks with this economy I doubt the house will be sold anytime soon but keep me posted if you come cause i might be planning to either go to Argentina or Dominican Republic for christmas ok

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else glad that they kept the electric 1 series RWD? I was worried.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the way it looks with this economy I doubt the house will be sold anytime soon but keep me posted if you come cause i might be planning to either go to Argentina or Dominican Republic for christmas ok
    No doubt I'll keep you posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast