Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would the best solution not be to add an M52TU prefix to the M54/S54 section?
    That would be a good quick solution that would maintain the structure of your site as it exists now.

However, I think you need a more thorough restructuring of your engine groups by family association instead of by chassis that they came in. You already have a chassis section, grouping the engines by chassis is redundant.
    The m50/m50tu/m52/US S50/S52/m52tu/m54/m56 is a family- e46fanatics gets more motion in its stupid fi section, than do the two subforums here- combined, as a HPF owners' circle jerk. Bimmerforums is also screwed with the redundant build threads of cars that are all the same. The benefit of bf.c is that no regular member will touch one of those threads with a 50ft stick unless it's to rip on it a bit- and there's enough other traffic that it disappears before it happens. Please segregate s54 with its true family members that primarily exist in the form of the rare US occurrence and mostly Canadian, australian and random euro weenies that might care- as the technology actually pertains to them. Even though HPF isnt as regular here, s54 technology doesn't apply to the m54 or any of its family members. I think, if we (we, m5x people) are really curious, we'll take a peek in that section, but i'd prefer to have a hydraulic lifter 6 cylinder section where the engines all interchange cranks, pistons, rods, valves, springs, retainers and so many more parts.

I think the m60/m62/s62 can live together. The real confusion is where to put the long-run oddballs that don't have a significant following anymore. The m20 shares a lot with the m5x family. It also shares a lot with the m70 and m10. Then there's the Bavaria. The M30 is related to the s38 by the same distance that separates the m50 and s54. However, the m88, s38 and s14 conclusively share loads of parts. Or you could just rename the site and call it m54tdboost and be done with it. Lol, jk, I'm excited to see this place grow, i think a slight restructure would benefit you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I agree with the above post.

M54tdboost? Where did you come up with that?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

one thing that i completely forgot to mention.... This section is primarily m5x, iron motors. However, the m54/s54 section shares a tranny bolt-pattern, which argues that all small sixes are really somewhat vaguely related, even down to the new N motors. They just do sillier $#@! with the pilot bearing than the e46 nonM 6speed.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    That would be a good quick solution that would maintain the structure of your site as it exists now.

However, I think you need a more thorough restructuring of your engine groups by family association instead of by chassis that they came in. You already have a chassis section, grouping the engines by chassis is redundant.
    The m50/m50tu/m52/US S50/S52/m52tu/m54/m56 is a family- e46fanatics gets more motion in its stupid fi section, than do the two subforums here- combined, as a HPF owners' circle jerk. Bimmerforums is also screwed with the redundant build threads of cars that are all the same. The benefit of bf.c is that no regular member will touch one of those threads with a 50ft stick unless it's to rip on it a bit- and there's enough other traffic that it disappears before it happens. Please segregate s54 with its true family members that primarily exist in the form of the rare US occurrence and mostly Canadian, australian and random euro weenies that might care- as the technology actually pertains to them. Even though HPF isnt as regular here, s54 technology doesn't apply to the m54 or any of its family members. I think, if we (we, m5x people) are really curious, we'll take a peek in that section, but i'd prefer to have a hydraulic lifter 6 cylinder section where the engines all interchange cranks, pistons, rods, valves, springs, retainers and so many more parts.

I think the m60/m62/s62 can live together. The real confusion is where to put the long-run oddballs that don't have a significant following anymore. The m20 shares a lot with the m5x family. It also shares a lot with the m70 and m10. Then there's the Bavaria. The M30 is related to the s38 by the same distance that separates the m50 and s54. However, the m88, s38 and s14 conclusively share loads of parts. Or you could just rename the site and call it m54tdboost and be done with it. Lol, jk, I'm excited to see this place grow, i think a slight restructure would benefit you.
    I disagree somewhat.

I group by the motor not necessarily the engine family. The fact is the M52tu is an E46 motor mostly. Same with the S54 and M54. It makes sense to group them together.

It is a circle jerk on e46f as you mentioned. It has more activity, no doubt, but our activity is better targeted and of higher quality. So, pro's and con's.

You have prefixes to denote what motor you want. The S54 should not bother you. If you want M54, click the m54 prefix. Why would another sub-forum that would have sparse activity be needed?

Our advantage is that we have prefixes which sort. That means we can have a forum with the S54 to keep activity up and for those who want more specific just filter the forum by M54 or soon to be M52tu. Simple, nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

By all means, it's your place, I have little place telling you how to restructure the whole thing. You group as you please, I do understand the difficulty. By all means, it's not simple. All I posted we're some considerations and recommendations based on the similarities. I just think it would be nice to see a bunch of threads, from numerous engines that all share just about everything. I mean, I guess you could separate an m50tub25 and an m52b25, but aside from some camtrays, intake manifold and electronics, there's very little to separate these two. And those are interchangeable and upgrades in varying directions.

My manifold was designed for an e36. I found it on bf.c. The cast manifolds run on m54s are all iron-motor intended. But it works perfectly, because it's the same motor.

You're right, you have prefixes. But the way the rooms are organized essentially mirrors the paradigm of the e46f fi room. It's an FI forum space designated for m54 and s54. And I can't see my engine's siblings together. It's a lonely playpen. The m54 world is tiny.

I mean, do as you pleas, these are my ideas, clearly. Take what you can, what you want. This place is an improvement from at least one place, I'm not sure about it yet, but on some levels I do prefer it here over bf.c
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    By all means, it's your place, I have little place telling you how to restructure the whole thing. You group as you please, I do understand the difficulty. By all means, it's not simple. All I posted we're some considerations and recommendations based on the similarities. I just think it would be nice to see a bunch of threads, from numerous engines that all share just about everything. I mean, I guess you could separate an m50tub25 and an m52b25, but aside from some camtrays, intake manifold and electronics, there's very little to separate these two. And those are interchangeable and upgrades in varying directions.
    True, but the deciding factor here for me is the E46 chassis and there being too much volume to group the entire M5X engine family together.

You're right, you have prefixes. But the way the rooms are organized essentially mirrors the paradigm of the e46f fi room. It's an FI forum space designated for m54 and s54. And I can't see my engine's siblings together. It's a lonely playpen. The m54 world is tiny.
    It is lonely, but that is how it is. Having it split makes it easier to group classic motors in. Let's be honest, new motors get most of the love here with the S54 following.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

This place is an improvement from at least one place, I'm not sure about it yet, but on some levels I do prefer it here over bf.c
    Eventually the goal is for this to not even need to be said. Steps forward, steps forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12