Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    get a driveway motion sensor and a Ar-15.. Or a good ole 12 gauge assault shot gun. Plus a 120lb dobermen helps too.
    The driveway idea is good and so is the 12 guage, but not the AR-15. The .223 round used for that weapon is too high powered for home defense. It will travel through wall(s) and can even end up in your neighbors home.

One of the most important points for home security is having a thought-out and practiced plan in the case of various forms of home intrusion.

You, of course, want to remain aware of how many occupants are in your home as well as their usual whereabouts for given times of day.

You want to know how many points of entry in your home.

If it's nighttime when an intrusion occurs, you want to avoid turning on lights as much as possible because from the outside looking in, you will be under a spotlight and those persons outside your home will be in the dark and harder for you to visualize. So a solid awareness of your home's orientation is important.

When it comes to using guns as a means of defense. You want to practice moving around with the gun(s) you intend to use for home defense. It's not enough to practice stationary shooting drills at the local range. You have to learn and practice how to move with you gun while remaining balanced and able to draw your gun and aim as fast as possible.

Security alarms are helpful, especially if you have signs outside your property that identify the company that monitors your home security.

And as much as possible, it's helpful to avoid showing off any potential bling, which applies to any object that shows you have valuable property inside your home.

Of course, you can't plan for every situation and it's not wise to be paranoid, so just taking reasonable steps to ensure you're as prepared as you want to be in the case of a home intrusion.

I used to have a couple large pit bulls that looked menacing but they were really good guys and unfortunately they were really sound sleepers, so yeah... they weren't very alert--especially in their golden years. haha

Unfortunately, home intrusions are one of the most dangerous crimes, because it's very likely that such intrusion will be met with defense and violence can easily ensue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    A shotgun is better for home defense you dont have to have as good aim to hit the guy. Plus, as someone else stated earlier, if you use buckshot you dont have to worry about it going through the walls and accidentally killing someone else. Take a look at the Mossberg 500 tactical.

Attachment 8673
    Great and reliable gun, but the pistol grip does not function very well unless you're over 250 lbs and have very large, thick hands. The pistol grip will hurt your hand so bad that you won't want to shoot it and would most likely not be a great way to hold the gun for most owners.

I have one (Remington 870) with the pistol grip but it's just for show. I keep it with the traditional butt attached.

I don't know. The pistol grip works better when it's coupled with a vertical, extending down foregrip.

Btw, just some advice for those interested, shooting from the hip does not mean placing the pistol grip on your hip bone. OMG, so painful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't think anyone is saying you don't have to aim. not like you can point it behind you and it will take out whomever is in front you. The idea is the shotgun has spread so in a life or death moment if you aim is a bit off, it won't potentially cost you your life as it would with a pistol.
    With buckshot just be mindful for where you're aiming. If there is a rubber or metal surface in front of you, the pellets can ricochet (spelling?) back towards you. I had it happen to me three weeks ago. My buddy shot the gun and a moment later I felt a pellet hit me in my neck and I was scared for a minute that it went in, but it didn't. Thank G-d.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Some of my measures Click here to enlarge:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I make do with perimeter alarm security, and a baseball bat ..

If somebody is going to invade my home while I'm inside and asleep, the alarm will either a) scare them off, or b) give me enough time to wake up and pick them off with the bat as they come upstairs Click here to enlarge

Only a really stupid criminal would continue to raid my house with the alarm going .. a central police station is within a stones throw from my house.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer boobytraps.

I like to be mysterious. Trap doors that lead to dungeons. Chutes that you slide down (greased with cow dung and insects on the way down!) and you end up 3 miles away in some swamp only to be eaten by alligators.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    The driveway idea is good and so is the 12 guage, but not the AR-15. The .223 round used for that weapon is too high powered for home defense. It will travel through wall(s) and can even end up in your neighbors home.

One of the most important points for home security is having a thought-out and practiced plan in the case of various forms of home intrusion.

You, of course, want to remain aware of how many occupants are in your home as well as their usual whereabouts for given times of day.

You want to know how many points of entry in your home.

If it's nighttime when an intrusion occurs, you want to avoid turning on lights as much as possible because from the outside looking in, you will be under a spotlight and those persons outside your home will be in the dark and harder for you to visualize. So a solid awareness of your home's orientation is important.

When it comes to using guns as a means of defense. You want to practice moving around with the gun(s) you intend to use for home defense. It's not enough to practice stationary shooting drills at the local range. You have to learn and practice how to move with you gun while remaining balanced and able to draw your gun and aim as fast as possible.

Security alarms are helpful, especially if you have signs outside your property that identify the company that monitors your home security.

And as much as possible, it's helpful to avoid showing off any potential bling, which applies to any object that shows you have valuable property inside your home.

Of course, you can't plan for every situation and it's not wise to be paranoid, so just taking reasonable steps to ensure you're as prepared as you want to be in the case of a home intrusion.

I used to have a couple large pit bulls that looked menacing but they were really good guys and unfortunately they were really sound sleepers, so yeah... they weren't very alert--especially in their golden years. haha

Unfortunately, home intrusions are one of the most dangerous crimes, because it's very likely that such intrusion will be met with defense and violence can easily ensue.

I have a 1/4 mile drive way. So the AR is to pick off people in my yard!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I prefer boobytraps.

I like to be mysterious. Trap doors that lead to dungeons. Chutes that you slide down (greased with cow dung and insects on the way down!) and you end up 3 miles away in some swamp only to be eaten by alligators.
    Reminds me of the movie with Chevy Chase and Demi Moore: Nothing But Trouble. haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    I have a 1/4 mile drive way. So the AR is to pick off people in my yard!!!!
    Well, in that case, suuuure... pick those bastads off. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12