Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I'm actually working on stage 2&3 maps with COBB and one thing I can tell you is that a meth failsafe will be available that will at least match what piggies do today if not better...new updates from Cobb are really going to be awesome...one thing that can very easily be done is to hook a failsafe to say the IAT sensor going to the dme and have the signal go to 5v at the time of failure telling the dme IATs are scrorchingly high and Cobb's programming can drop both timing and boost accordingly amazingly fast...

Another thing to keep in mind with failsafes in general is that while they do work well so far they're really not 100% reliable in all situations eg. Meth failure at 6500-7000rpm while running hot already on say 91 octane and high boost...in most cases though they're a good "peace of mind" type feature..
    What kind of boost are stage 2 and 3? I will eat my hat if they can give you a 19psi map that you don't get various engine check lights.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    What kind of boost are stage 2 and 3? I will eat my hat if they can give you a 19psi map that you don't get various engine check lights.
    I'm pretty sure Cobb maps target load and not PSI, that doesn't rule out the possibility of boost like 19 PSI, but I'd imagine the conditions would have to be just right. Is 19 PSI within the efficiency range of the turbo though?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kamal Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure Cobb maps target load and not PSI, that doesn't rule out the possibility of boost like 19 PSI, but I'd imagine the conditions would have to be just right. Is 19 PSI within the efficiency range of the turbo though?
    yes 19 psi is a walk in the park for stage 2 turbos.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know why that would be but at the same time I haven't tried a 19psi...i have hit 19psi many times with the stage 2 testing as we move load around without any issues but that high of boost most likely won't be stage 2...also keep in mind that this tuning is on RB turbos which put down about 50-90whp more for the same boost depending on where in the RPM range you are with the added benefit of slightly cooler EGTs due to less restrictive turbine...

yes COBB's current tune targets load..19psi is easily handled by RB or any other similar upgraded turbos (e.g. TD stage 2, ASR)..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    yes 19 psi is a walk in the park for stage 2 turbos.
    +1
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i highly doubt you'll ever see 18+ psi on a cobb OTS tune though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i highly doubt you'll ever see 18+ psi on a cobb OTS tune though
    does 18.3psi qualify? as I already have a map for it Click here to enlarge i have no idea what their official stage 2 maps will run though when they come out..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We'll see how they handle 19-20 psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    We'll see how they handle 19-20 psi.
    sure thing, can't wait either..i actually just got an alpha stage 3 map to play with...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sure thing, can't wait either..i actually just got an alpha stage 3 map to play with...
    Guess you're happy to be over your missfire mystery now Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    does 18.3psi qualify? as I already have a map for it Click here to enlarge i have no idea what their official stage 2 maps will run though when they come out..
    really, that is suprising,.but like i said, an OTS tune. they would have to be pretty conident to sell it like that to 90% of the end users on stock turbo's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dzenno - will stage 2 maps clear the codes thrown by DPs? I would assume so, just wondering if your test maps have that functionality yet.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Guess you're happy to be over your missfire mystery now Click here to enlarge
    you have NO idea Click here to enlarge try 5 months of total $#@!show

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    really, that is suprising,.but like i said, an OTS tune. they would have to be pretty conident to sell it like that to 90% of the end users on stock turbo's
    you have to realize that I'm working closely with them and some of the tunes I'm getting are totally just by my request to see what the AP can do in terms of power delivery...this is why all this stuff I'm getting is really ALPHA and not BETA..beta stuff is what would be considered as something being tested towards an OTS release...i'm trying all sorts of things and as with anything alpha stuff more often than not doesn't end up hitting the shelves...don't hold my testing to what the OTS stage X maps will do but more along the lines of what COBB can do with their tuning knowledge and tools on the N54..

dzenno - will stage 2 maps clear the codes thrown by DPs? I would assume so, just wondering if your test maps have that functionality yet.
    Yes, I already have that in the alpha update...the cat inefficiency code has been turned off in the DME and won't show up for those running off road setups Click here to enlarge another thing they've done is turned off the "coding missing" benign code currently present in their OTS flash...the cool part about this ability to just simply turn off individual codes is that you literally just turn off a single code. With the auto-clear on the piggies it clears ALL the codes ALL the time just so you don't see the CEL come up for cat inefficiency...

question is what happens when you have codes popping up (glow ignition for example) for good reasons that don't cause any immediate "noticeable" issues on the car and they constantly keep getting auto-cleared along with your benign cat inefficiency codes...in my case I hate to be running blind folded like that and I need to know when there's ANY code EXCEPT the cat inefficiency codes which cause a CEL

Its for that reason on the procede I had canclear always off especially on race days
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-07-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    awesome, I really can't wait for the stage 2 maps to come out... thanks for the info!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So basically what they are doing is deleting the fault reference to overcome the faults in the tuning. I.e if it gets a nominal torque exceeded fault 2D58 they just remove that fault from the fault code list in the software. Same as the canned tune coding software that everyone has, just remove it. If that is the case then I will keep my hat on as they are not tuning the software to run as the DME intends but short cutting it so that the end user thinks nothing is wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So basically what they are doing is deleting the fault reference to overcome the faults in the tuning. I.e if it gets a nominal torque exceeded fault 2D58 they just remove that fault from the fault code list in the software. Same as the canned tune coding software that everyone has, just remove it. If that is the case then I will keep my hat on as they are not tuning the software to run as the DME intends but short cutting it so that the end user thinks nothing is wrong.
    No no, that's not the case here Click here to enlarge ...the cat inefficiency code is the only DTC turned off..they have no need to turn off anything else as they can raise load/torque limits in the software by actual tuning...torque limits are just thresholds setup in the stock software
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rob was at the drag strip when I went 2 days ago. Their 335i is running FBO, but no exhaust change after the downpipes as far as I can tell. My buddy is also running some software from them that he's testing out and it's supposed to be more powerful than the Stage 1 maps. And he's not having any problems.

He was actually quicker in the 1/4 than Rob himself that night. But I am looking forward to seeing what they can do before they even need to use meth. His 335i runs very strong.

Also interesting to note is the fact that my friend's maps (whatever they are - not sure if they're what the Stage 2 maps will be) powers the car through the 1/4 at exactly the same time as my 335i with Procede on map 1. But at a higher trap speed.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Rob was at the drag strip when I went 2 days ago. Their 335i is running FBO, but no exhaust change after the downpipes as far as I can tell. My buddy is also running some software from them that he's testing out and it's supposed to be more powerful than the Stage 1 maps. And he's not having any problems.

He was actually quicker in the 1/4 than Rob himself that night. But I am looking forward to seeing what they can do before they even need to use meth. His 335i runs very strong.

Also interesting to note is the fact that my friend's maps (whatever they are - not sure if they're what the Stage 2 maps will be) powers the car through the 1/4 at exactly the same time as my 335i with Procede on map 1. But at a higher trap speed.
    As I said countless times this issue I'm having is 4 months old. I just recently acquired a COBB AP to do some testing with it and a couple days ago started working with Rob on some alpha stuff. The issue I'm having (misfire) is again, NOT, tuning related as I've misfired on Procede and JB4 as well.

Watch this thread turn into a cobb misfires thread over time...geez Click here to enlarge

What traps was Rob hitting with FBO?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Watch this thread turn into a cobb misfires thread over time...geez Click here to enlarge
    Don't think that will happen.

Your car obviously has a problem that doesn't seem tune related. Having misfires on three different tunes pretty much clears that up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Don't think that will happen.

Your car obviously has a problem that doesn't seem tune related. Having misfires on three different tunes pretty much clears that up.
    yeah but there is no drama into that ;-)
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky can we please cleanup this thread from my misfire discussion as we already have a thread for it, thanks...this is about Cobb development and potential meth integration
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky can we please cleanup this thread from my misfire discussion as we already have a thread for it, thanks...this is about Cobb development and potential meth integration
    Sure, why not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There wasn't much to move but moved here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...isfire-mystery...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I'm actually working on stage 2&3 maps with COBB and one thing I can tell you is that a meth failsafe will be available that will at least match what piggies do today if not better...new updates from Cobb are really going to be awesome...one thing that can very easily be done is to hook a failsafe to say the IAT sensor going to the dme and have the signal go to 5v at the time of failure telling the dme IATs are scrorchingly high and Cobb's programming can drop both timing and boost accordingly amazingly fast...

Another thing to keep in mind with failsafes in general is that while they do work well so far they're really not 100% reliable in all situations eg. Meth failure at 6500-7000rpm while running hot already on say 91 octane and high boost...in most cases though they're a good "peace of mind" type feature..
    what ever happened to the meth integration with Cobb?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS

Terry, you should create some sort of a hardware meth controller that plugs into the ECU harness (a-la JB4 style) but does NOT any engine tuning or any of the other functions. Just simple meth controller that alerts the DME so that it can make the switchover.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    @Terry@BMSTerry, you should create some sort of a hardware meth controller that plugs into the ECU harness (a-la JB4 style) but does NOT any engine tuning or any of the other functions. Just simple meth controller that alerts the DME so that it can make the switchover.
    Can't you already do this by stacking the tunes? Using the COBB as the base tune & then the JB4 strictly for Meth Control (or Gauge Hijacking if you care about those features)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast