Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

E38 740...yay or nay?

So my boss stumbled upon this the other day, as he was down in Freeport picking up a CPO car for a check out. Its for sale currently, 2001 740i, Red on black, 78k miles, practically in mint condition. Was owned by a contractor who just have time to do anything with it (not even drive it) so it sat at his house for 3 years. It at the detailers now, been there for 3 months as hes trying to sell it.

I think my boss said he would take 9-10k for it, what do you think? Im tempted to pick it up, my girl would probably kill me though with having this, my pickup and the E28.

I have a weakness for red cars, especially this one since its rare, and never been hit or painted either.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    pass me the info if u pass on it i kno someone interested in 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Red on black, major yay.

9-10k? That is a lot of car for that price, definitely a nice pick up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    my favorite body style 7 series. My pops used to have one, Ive loved it ever since. Hows the interior condition? pics?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    my favorite body style 7 series. My pops used to have one, Ive loved it ever since. Hows the interior condition? pics?
    its in perfect condition. The gauge cluster works (no missing pixels), and the seats are not torn. Has navigation too (even tho its crazy old school).

Im gonna do some thinking tonight and go over my finances and see where Im at. This weekend marks the last of my debt to be paid off, and I have to call my insurance company to see what it would run me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Going to see if I can get it to the shop on tuesday. Very good possibility that I will be picking this up.

6spd swap anyone Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Always liked those. Put a SC on it and you got perfect daliy driver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like a great car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Always liked those. Put a SC on it and you got perfect daliy driver.

haha wanna come by the shop and spend some $$ so I can buy it? Click here to enlarge

People say just doing the manual swap frees up 20-30hp at the rear wheels, and the car becomes instantly more fun to drive, and uses less gas on the highway to boot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Going to see if I can get it to the shop on tuesday. Very good possibility that I will be picking this up.

6spd swap anyone Click here to enlarge
    It's an awesome ride...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    People say just doing the manual swap frees up 20-30hp at the rear wheels, and the car becomes instantly more fun to drive, and uses less gas on the highway to boot.
    Who has done the manual swaps? What trans? Out of a 540?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E38 is the best 7, I really love it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love the E38 I miss my black 740i sport I def say YAY and especially in red! HELL YA Id rock that in a heart beat.
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    add Alpina stuff and it will be a head turner, also with an exhaust the car is going to challenge Tom Jones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    add Alpina stuff and it will be a head turner, also with an exhaust the car is going to challenge Tom Jones.
    In red it already is a head turner.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To answer the swap question, yes you use all the parts out of the 540i. pedal assembly, driveshaft etc. Only have to order the euro shifter linkages, as in Europe you could get a 740i or iL with a MT, here obviously not.

There is someone selling the swap with everything included for 2k. not a bad deal. It will take some coding work to change the VO to make it think that it is a 540, this way the gauge cluster works normally and thinks its a manual car and not an auto, which avoids the CEL and the trans gear error message that results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Matt text me and let know either way
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So far all I have been getting is 'too low' for my offers. Hes being stubborn and refusing to let the car go for anything less than hes asking for it. He wants kbb value, which is $13k, but he will get nowhere NEAR that in this market. It sat for 2 years and I think its going to sit a lot more because he thinks its still worth top dollar cuse its '1 of 3 on Long Island in this color'. I dont give a $#@! what color it is, its not a special edition or anything, not a long wheel base car and he expects top dollar.

The last clean 740il sold for 7400. The guy spent some $ fixing it up and color matching the rockers and the front and rear bumpers...he walked away with like $150 profit after the whole flip. The market is just not catering to them right now. Coupled with the detail mexicans trying to get in the middle of the deal so they can make some $ themselves, its not going over so well.

Im not paying more than $10k for the car, and even that thats a farrr stretch. If Im going to spend that kind of money, I would rather dump that into the E28 and turbo the snot out of it and make it still have creature comforts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So far all I have been getting is 'too low' for my offers. Hes being stubborn and refusing to let the car go for anything less than hes asking for it. He wants kbb value, which is $13k, but he will get nowhere NEAR that in this market. It sat for 2 years and I think its going to sit a lot more because he thinks its still worth top dollar cuse its '1 of 3 on Long Island in this color'. I dont give a $#@! what color it is, its not a special edition or anything, not a long wheel base car and he expects top dollar.
    Then let him keep it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who's selling it? Some guy who works at the dealership or the dealership themselves?

The last clean 740il sold for 7400. The guy spent some $ fixing it up and color matching the rockers and the front and rear bumpers...he walked away with like $150 profit after the whole flip. The market is just not catering to them right now. Coupled with the detail mexicans trying to get in the middle of the deal so they can make some $ themselves, its not going over so well.

Im not paying more than $10k for the car, and even that thats a farrr stretch. If Im going to spend that kind of money, I would rather dump that into the E28 and turbo the snot out of it and make it still have creature comforts.
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This detail shop has it in their possession. Apparently the owner of the car knows them and left the car with them to try to sell it, and they are trying to stay in the middle with their hands out. Randy is going back today to see if he can get the old man to give him the number, this way we can bypass tue detail shop entirely and see if we can lower the price some. If he wont budge at all then im walking. Id rather fix the E28 with that kinda money and turbo the snot out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really wish I could spend some money with you but I just got hit for 2k at Vac didn't evenget anything cool. Just maintaining the car. There wasa time I had cash flow everywhere but not now. Lol

The working man is a sucker! Lol Ill be in touch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hrmmmis. If you don't take it, and ur boss wants 9k for it...... Let me know
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Hrmmmis. If you don't take it, and ur boss wants 9k for it...... Let me know

That guy isnt my boss..hes some spanish dude who runs the detail shop. Hes the one that keeps saying 13k for it. He laughed when I said 8500.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That guy isnt my boss..hes some spanish dude who runs the detail shop. Hes the one that keeps saying 13k for it. He laughed when I said 8500.
    I hope you laughed back at him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast