Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Post Common breaking point on rear axle shafts?

Recently had my right rear half shaft fail at the outer CV Joint...just curious where the common failure points have been in history on the higher powered BMW's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good thread and I don't really the exact points myself so bump looking for answers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    noob here: well i come from front wheel and idk if this will help but worth a shot

Click here to enlarge ive noticed numerous times while changing axels on my cars the axles usually are weak closer to the outer shaft or where the boot meets the hub. never have i had a problem closer to the transmission or in your case the rear diff. The longer the shaft is the weaker it is at the farthest point from the diff. my input, again if i am incorrect i am sorry but no one else stepped up. good luck if anything.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol its been 5 hrs, no one has stepped up you say lol? well my two cents (even though ive never snapped an axle, though seen a few snap) is that its caused by BMW's poor use of an open diff. well i guess its not the worst idea, but a bad item for launches is for sure. almost every x35 ive heard of that snapped an axle, snapped it at the track (drag strip) or attempting a burnout. its all caused by all the torque pushing one axle (open diff) and the tire is still in 'static' friction. the weakest point(which is your question) is usually the axle boot, holding grease and the race + cage. the DSS offers upgraded axles, member here, lamia2super has them because he snapped at the drag strip with me (he still has an open diff!).
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    lol its been 5 hrs, no one has stepped up you say lol? well my two cents (even though ive never snapped an axle, though seen a few snap) is that its caused by BMW's poor use of an open diff. well i guess its not the worst idea, but a bad item for launches is for sure. almost every x35 ive heard of that snapped an axle, snapped it at the track (drag strip) or attempting a burnout. its all caused by all the torque pushing one axle (open diff) and the tire is still in 'static' friction. the weakest point(which is your question) is usually the axle boot, holding grease and the race + cage. the DSS offers upgraded axles, member here, lamia2super has them because he snapped at the drag strip with me (he still has an open diff!).
    Everyone knows the E46 rear end is weak but nobody really discusses it.

Taza might know some stuff on this topic. There was some good discussions just don't remember the title of the thread at the moment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I snapped mine when there was a drop in the road and the axel was hyper angled due to the drop, at the same time I was at 20 psi. The drop was in a shadow on a long straight road. I have pics of how it came a part at the bearing cage but I can't post pics yet on this forum. It was crazy how the bearings flew out from under my car and hit the cars behind me, those things are not small!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 Click here to enlarge
    I snapped mine when there was a drop in the road and the axel was hyper angled due to the drop, at the same time I was at 20 psi. The drop was in a shadow on a long straight road. I have pics of how it came a part at the bearing cage but I can't post pics yet on this forum. It was crazy how the bearings flew out from under my car and hit the cars behind me, those things are not small!
    Why can't you post pics? You should be able to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry thought this was an n54 post, in any case, most of my post still holds true, only m's come with an lsd, so if the OP doesnt have an M, the open diff is going to be what causes all the power to one side and snap the race+cage on a hard launch. if taza is snapping his axles its just too much torque for the stock pieces, DSS im sure offers an upgrade.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry thought this was an n54 post, in any case, most of my post still holds true, only m's come with an lsd, so if the OP doesnt have an M, the open diff is going to be what causes all the power to one side and snap the race+cage on a hard launch. if taza is snapping his axles its just too much torque for the stock pieces, DSS im sure offers an upgrade.
    He has an M.

The E92 doesn't really apply as its rear end is MUCH better engineered and MUCH beefier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here is what is left of mine.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup pretty much the same as mine then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved this back to S54. Not sure why I put it in 3 to begin with since this really is a driveline issue.

Let's see if we can get some answers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    like i thought.. its the race+cage that are the weakest link, same as in the e9x platform. the axle boot houses both those and grease to keep the metal from too much friction (heat). dude if you're worried about snapping a new oem one then upgrade to DSS or a competing company of your choice.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    like i thought.. its the race+cage that are the weakest link, same as in the e9x platform. the axle boot houses both those and grease to keep the metal from too much friction (heat). dude if you're worried about snapping a new oem one then upgrade to DSS or a competing company of your choice.
    It's more than just the axles but yes DSS upgrade is warranted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could you explain what failed in these pictures?

I don't see anything self-explanitory.....so it's hard for me to understand.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Could you explain what failed in these pictures?

I don't see anything self-explanitory.....so it's hard for me to understand.

I think the cage holding the bearings snapped (same thing happened to ultimateendz), the boot ripped and all the balls and the cage flew out. On Ultimateendz car when this happened, the axle broke the cage right where it slips onto the shaft..and the axle shaft would just rotate inside the CV joint, not doing anything but making a lot of noise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Derek do you have the DSS axles? I'll be upgrading soon either way but I'm just curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    Derek do you have the DSS axles? I'll be upgrading soon either way but I'm just curious.
    which transmission you have?
    wonder if the drag event at mfest and the fun you had the other day on the back roads when it gave out is just a culmination of events.
    reading about all the hpf guys who are currently down for repairs due to digs i know i can't afford to do the same with mine. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    which transmission you have?
    wonder if the drag event at mfest and the fun you had the other day on the back roads when it gave out is just a culmination of events.
    reading about all the hpf guys who are currently down for repairs due to digs i know i can't afford to do the same with mine. Click here to enlarge
    I have the 6MT; I was way harder on it at Mfest, and tbo I snapped it on the 2nd pull the other day so I didnt get much spirited driving out of it. Guaranteed something is gonna break eventually at these power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I swapped mine for stock ones when this happened, this even caused HPF to look into finding stronger half shafts. Mine broke when I was in full boost and there was a dip in the road. The wheen spin while the weight of the car was off the wheel, when the car came back down it snapped like a twig. The drop in the road was in the shadow caused by a large tree, I didn't see it until the very last second. I will be swapping mine out when I go down next, the new ones are sick!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 Click here to enlarge
    I swapped mine for stock ones when this happened, this even caused HPF to look into finding stronger half shafts. Mine broke when I was in full boost and there was a dip in the road. The wheen spin while the weight of the car was off the wheel, when the car came back down it snapped like a twig. The drop in the road was in the shadow caused by a large tree, I didn't see it until the very last second. I will be swapping mine out when I go down next, the new ones are sick!
    Thx Derek that's what I thought. I'll be upgrading to the DSS next time I'm down...still waiting to see more ProEFI installations to see what I will be expecting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    Thx Derek that's what I thought. I'll be upgrading to the DSS next time I'm down...still waiting to see more ProEFI installations to see what I will be expecting.
    Is Taza running DSS? I know Chad, myself and Chris are.. Chris seems to be having good luck.. nothing can match the torque of the HPF car w/antilag dropping the hammer at the track with those massive drag radials. Seems they break diff's and trannys now that the half shafts aren't the weakest link anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    Is Taza running DSS?
    Not sure, shoot him a pm I'm curious as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am still on stock shafts, no issues there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    I am still on stock shafts, no issues there.
    Haven't you destroyed just about everything in your drive line atleast once.. with the exception of your half shafts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast