Close

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 201 to 225 of 225
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky - any way to turn off Auto-Save?
    there are many things in your post that I disagree, but this is the worst. Man auto-save is the coolest feature we have here Click here to enlarge

    Back to topic, it seems one of us didn't quite get xbox's point. I don't think he meant DCT is an Automatic or something, he just stated that DCT and SMG are different. then again i could be wrong.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    If you want a track car - a car made to go as fast as possible around a track - a Manual transmission is NOT going to be as consistent nor as fast as a DCT or SMG transmission.
    well you can't say generally about all cars and all tracks. DCT's only advantage over MT is performance, and the extra weight kills the advantage. in tight tracks in my opinion MT is the better choice - I'm talking about a driver who can shift fast -, but in tracks with long performance lines, DCT acts better.
    My complain about all transmissions with TCU is they refuse to downshift quite often at track which disappoints you specially under hard braking when you want to reduce speed with downshift. according to my friend in that moment you are allowed to say all the crap words you know to the engineers lol.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky - any way to turn off Auto-Save?
    No, but why would you want to?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for the frustration, but this is beating a dead horse. It's just ridiculous. If you want a track car - a car made to go as fast as possible around a track - a Manual transmission is NOT going to be as consistent nor as fast as a DCT or SMG transmission. For doing clutch-dumps and whatnot, you win. What's the point?
    Someone thought BMW M thought stood for Manual apparently. It's a ridiculous post and just someone trying to insult me rather than argue with logic.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    DCT's only advantage over MT is performance, and the extra weight kills the advantage.
    No, it doesn't. The DCT is consistently faster, much faster. Just look at the Porsche PDK cars.

    Gintani said the difference of having a DCT vs. a manual on the big boost kits is almost like 100 whp in the real world.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    This post by GiJoe2 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.



  5. #205
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ No dupe accounts, follow the rules and post within them.

    Here is a tip, don't come in here swinging your sack for your first post. Especially to contributing members. Try posting positively and you may be positively received. Debating is fine and your points were responded to. You seemed to missed the point made regarding M purity not being one of the transmission used. Tip, it may have something to do with the powerplant.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Sorry didnt want to upset anyone (maybe tease Sticky a little)

    I thought the SMG was a real sequential gearbox like from a race car.

    I beleive the DCT to shift faster and having more gears being better fitted to a high revving NA engine BUT on a N54 having tourqe everywhere the advantage is somewhat wasted. AND my biggest issue with the DCT is that it down shifts at WOT (which is needed for the is over boost to kick in, AND it up shifts at the rev limit. I cant help it this makes me not ever want the DCT even though the shifts being super fun normaly.

    I do not want the gearbox to automatically shift ever! And if I have to loose some 10ths of a second for each shift I dont care.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Points
    0.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Huh, 'interesting forum', don't think I'll be 'sticking' around, so many rules feels like kindergarten.
    Anyway I'll let these presenters do a better job then I could of explaining what I mean.

    On the automatic M3 and M1 heritage.... you tube . com /watch?v=I0nOEv86bvQ

    you tube . com /watch?v=Yw7D9cDQqHo

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Sorry didnt want to upset anyone (maybe tease Sticky a little)

    I thought the SMG was a real sequential gearbox like from a race car.

    I beleive the DCT to shift faster and having more gears being better fitted to a high revving NA engine BUT on a N54 having tourqe everywhere the advantage is somewhat wasted. AND my biggest issue with the DCT is that it down shifts at WOT (which is needed for the is over boost to kick in, AND it up shifts at the rev limit. I cant help it this makes me not ever want the DCT even though the shifts being super fun normaly.

    I do not want the gearbox to automatically shift ever! And if I have to loose some 10ths of a second for each shift I dont care.

    I highly recommend you go ahead and test a DCT car out. The car (in S mode) will never - meaning you can hold my M3 at 83xx RPM for hours if you chose without the car shifting. Same goes the other way. I can start from 2nd gear (just like a manual) and accelerate up to about 35, shift into 7th and have no power at all. The gear choice really is chosen by the driver. Maybe I am missing your point... Not sure.

    You didn't upset anyone, I just am not sure if we are all on the same page. Just because some jag master journalist said the M3 has an automatic transmission - it's now widespread common "knowledge".

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,584
    Rep Points
    2,017.3
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    there are many things in your post that I disagree, but this is the worst. Man auto-save is the coolest feature we have here Click here to enlarge

    Back to topic, it seems one of us didn't quite get xbox's point. I don't think he meant DCT is an Automatic or something, he just stated that DCT and SMG are different. then again i could be wrong.



    well you can't say generally about all cars and all tracks. DCT's only advantage over MT is performance, and the extra weight kills the advantage. in tight tracks in my opinion MT is the better choice - I'm talking about a driver who can shift fast -, but in tracks with long performance lines, DCT acts better.
    My complain about all transmissions with TCU is they refuse to downshift quite often at track which disappoints you specially under hard braking when you want to reduce speed with downshift. according to my friend in that moment you are allowed to say all the crap words you know to the engineers lol.
    I agree with the refuse to downshift. In fact, I have complained about this a few times in the board here. I currently have my car in Schaumburg IL for a logic/software (DCT) fix that is supposed to allow for more aggressive downshifts (a la SMG).

    Although you really shouldn't be using downshifting while racing to slow your car down, I completely understand your point - and do it all the time. The point of downshifting in while coming into a corner is to be in the correct gear after the apex. To each their own, but that's what I have learned. I guess for the fun of it - I still haven't learned, and again - do it all the time. So, I completely understand (esp. coming from SMG) that this (in BMW's case) is a pitfall with DCT. Downshifts across multiple gears should be immediate. I will let you know if this fix improves things. I get the car back today.

    Take care all.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,101
    Rep Points
    1,398.2
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I highly recommend you go ahead and test a DCT car out. The car (in S mode) will never - meaning you can hold my M3 at 83xx RPM for hours if you chose without the car shifting. Same goes the other way. I can start from 2nd gear (just like a manual) and accelerate up to about 35, shift into 7th and have no power at all. The gear choice really is chosen by the driver. Maybe I am missing your point... Not sure.

    You didn't upset anyone, I just am not sure if we are all on the same page. Just because some jag master journalist said the M3 has an automatic transmission - it's now widespread common "knowledge".
    I have only tested the DCT in the Z4is and it doesnt behave well, I did ask in an older post if there is a possibillity that the M3's DCT allows for full manual control...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GiJoe Click here to enlarge
    Huh, 'interesting forum', don't think I'll be 'sticking' around, so many rules feels like kindergarten.
    Anyway I'll let these presenters do a better job then I could of explaining what I mean.

    On the automatic M3 and M1 heritage.... you tube . com /watch?v=I0nOEv86bvQ

    you tube . com /watch?v=Yw7D9cDQqHo
    Then don't stick around if you do not want to, who is asking you to?

    Not really any rules at all. Is it tough for you to figure out positive contributions will be received more positively then coming out of nowhere with insults and derogatory posts? Expect to be treated how you treat others, that is how it works here.

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    I have only tested the DCT in the Z4is and it doesnt behave well, I did ask in an older post if there is a possibillity that the M3's DCT allows for full manual control...
    The M3 DCT software is not the same as the other DCT's. You can do whatever you want with it basically in manual mode other than overrev it.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, it doesn't. The DCT is consistently faster, much faster. Just look at the Porsche PDK cars.

    Gintani said the difference of having a DCT vs. a manual on the big boost kits is almost like 100 whp in the real world.
    You didn't get my point quite well, i was talking about track.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Although you really shouldn't be using downshifting while racing to slow your car down, I completely understand your point - and do it all the time. The point of downshifting in while coming into a corner is to be in the correct gear after the apex. To each their own, but that's what I have learned. I guess for the fun of it - I still haven't learned, and again - do it all the time. So, I completely understand (esp. coming from SMG) that this (in BMW's case) is a pitfall with DCT. Downshifts across multiple gears should be immediate. I will let you know if this fix improves things. I get the car back today.
    well forgetting a bad habit is harder, what's harder than that is changing it into a good habit. downshifting multiply before hitting corner is my bad habit Click here to enlarge

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No

    1M vs M3 CSL on the Ring

    Saw this on the gay forum. Did BMW sandbag the 1M's ring time so the M3 drivers wouldn't cry?


  15. #215
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    You didn't get my point quite well, i was talking about track.
    Why wouldn't this translate to the roadcourse exactly? The DCT has faster laptimes. It will also have greater consistency. The roadcourse would be the place you would want it most.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Saw this on the gay forum. Did BMW sandbag the 1M's ring time so the M3 drivers wouldn't cry?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPXDz...layer_embedded
    There is a thread here on the topic. This just shows driver skill.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why wouldn't this translate to the roadcourse exactly? The DCT has faster laptimes. It will also have greater consistency. The roadcourse would be the place you would want it most.
    Because the extra weight has some negative effect. in an average track the positive influence of DCT is even with the negative influence of extra weight, in a tight track that negative influence is bigger.

    What i'm saying highly depends on the driver, my driving style isn't suited for something with TCU. I downshift from 5th to 3rd when i hit a corner, to cut the same corner in a car with TCU it barely lets me downshift to 4th.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Because the extra weight has some negative effect. in an average track the positive influence of DCT is even with the negative influence of extra weight, in a tight track that negative influence is bigger.

    What i'm saying highly depends on the driver, my driving style isn't suited for something with TCU. I downshift from 5th to 3rd when i hit a corner, to cut the same corner in a car with TCU it barely lets me downshift to 4th.
    It's 40 pounds and at the center of the car, it isn't even a big deal at all. If it was, you wouldn't see PDK's and DCT's routinely trounce manuals. The weight doesn't mean anywhere near as much as picking up a tenth if not more per shift.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's 40 pounds and at the center of the car, it isn't even a big deal at all. If it was, you wouldn't see PDK's and DCT's routinely trounce manuals. The weight doesn't mean anywhere near as much as picking up a tenth if not more per shift.
    Well, i don't agree with you. DCT is quick on upshift, but it's also quite slow on downshift.

    The thing is the trans in my 335i is DCT, same as Cayman and two slushbox in other two cars, not sure why I defend MT so much ?!

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Well, i don't agree with you. DCT is quick on upshift, but it's also quite slow on downshift.
    Well, I don't agree with you. I was surprised how good the downshifts were. Why does a Nissan GTR seem to have no trouble on the track with it?

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, I don't agree with you. I was surprised how good the downshifts were. Why does a Nissan GTR seem to have no trouble on the track with it?
    Because it's a GT-R.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Because it's a GT-R.
    Mmmhmmm. With a DCT.

    DCT is faster around the track. Not like faster acceleration and faster shift times are going to slow you down.

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -225.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Mmmhmmm. With a DCT.

    DCT is faster around the track. Not like faster acceleration and faster shift times are going to slow you down.
    It highly depends on the track. there is a track here in Dubai I tested today morning, the track car was a M3. i barely shifted, i was most of time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. in a track like this which you barely shift, the shifting advantage in a DCT car is nothing.

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    It highly depends on the track. there is a track here in Dubai I tested today morning, the track car was a M3. i barely shifted, i was most of time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. in a track like this which you barely shift, the shifting advantage in a DCT car is nothing.
    I've never heard of a track where you don't really need to shift. I mean look, we can agree to disagree. The DCT is a huge advantage, I stand by it.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I've never heard of a track where you don't really need to shift. I mean look, we can agree to disagree. The DCT is a huge advantage, I stand by it.
    The dude that ran the ring in his 1M said he was in 4th and 5th and really didn't have to shift all that often.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •