Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Okay, so it's a badass car that most people have a blast driving and it has the wrong badge in some peoples' opinion.

Happy everybody?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because we have done a bunch of 1M stuff already. I know other sites put it up on the front page but that is because they all follow themselves. If you look at our front page and the others we are substantially different while they are all the same.

The 1M has gotten plenty of coverage. Sometimes things can just stay in the forum.
    Hmmm I smell an AGENDA here.
    Face it - you're pissed because people love this car. You're pissed that Clarkson (toughest critic, most famous reviewer out there) also loves this car. You're also extremely pissed that this 1M is beating your beloved M3 on famous race courses - even at a disadvantage being in the rain.
    No problem, I knew you weren't gonna post it on the home page I just wanted to add salt to the wound Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i dont get it you guys sound like a bunch of elitest!! I just dont get how we bash a BMW on a BMW forum, the porsche guys are all family and so are the nissan guys but we rip each car like savages, if we were blind folded and only got to drive the car its light,its nimble,short wheel base,handles great, good brakes, and can turn quick lap times, how is that not the definition of a ///M? Most importantly the car is fun to drive. Also there is different level of ///M and this is an entry level car so what is wrong with the fact that bmw had to find a way to build the package for below a certain price? What if a guy in a 7 series said that a 3 series isnt a real bmw? "honey look at that 3 thing it doesnt even have massagers or a/c seats how can they call it a bmw, more like a sentra to me"

By the way Sticky we just had a huge debate about gear boxes remember? Well let me ask you a question the ///M purist were outraged when the smg's and now the dct's came out. "a real ///M is a stick!" how do you respond to that? or cuz you like the dct then its ok to build that in a ///M

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I should work for BMWs engineering dept when it comes to these things....Im not knocking the 1m performance wise, its a great handling and great looking car but they should have put a different badge on it.
    My point exactly.

And yes, I should work for BMW M as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DubSport Click here to enlarge
    Hmmm I smell an AGENDA here.
    Face it - you're pissed because people love this car. You're pissed that Clarkson (toughest critic, most famous reviewer out there) also loves this car. You're also extremely pissed that this 1M is beating your beloved M3 on famous race courses - even at a disadvantage being in the rain.
    No problem, I knew you weren't gonna post it on the home page I just wanted to add salt to the wound Click here to enlarge
    I'm not pissed at all, why? What do I care what Clarkson thinks? What, he is the automotive Jesus? I form my own opinions, thanks.

Famous race courses? The Top Gear test track is a famous roadcourse? The Nurburging is the standard. What is the fastest BMW around it? M3 GTS. Second fastest? M3 CSL. Hmmm, how about that?

I have posted plenty of positive 1M coverage on the front page. This would be our what, 5th review of the 1M? Enough really it's in the forum and I don't want to make our homepage a lemming that looks like everyone else and puts up what everyone else does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    i dont get it you guys sound like a bunch of elitest!! I just dont get how we bash a BMW on a BMW forum, the porsche guys are all family and so are the nissan guys but we rip each car like savages, if we were blind folded and only got to drive the car its light,its nimble,short wheel base,handles great, good brakes, and can turn quick lap times, how is that not the definition of a ///M? Most importantly the car is fun to drive. Also there is different level of ///M and this is an entry level car so what is wrong with the fact that bmw had to find a way to build the package for below a certain price? What if a guy in a 7 series said that a 3 series isnt a real bmw? "honey look at that 3 thing it doesnt even have massagers or a/c seats how can they call it a bmw, more like a sentra to me"

By the way Sticky we just had a huge debate about gear boxes remember? Well let me ask you a question the ///M purist were outraged when the smg's and now the dct's came out. "a real ///M is a stick!" how do you respond to that? or cuz you like the dct then its ok to build that in a ///M
    Porsche guys ARE NOT all family. They are way worse, trust me.

I was never outraged when the SMG and DCT came out as anyone who actually understand Motorsport saw the F1 connection. Europeans never had a problem with it which is why they never demanded a manual box in the M5/M6 like people in the US who are oblivious. Those gearboxes you mentioned are the ones you want on the Road Course where every tenth and consistency matters. Plus, BMW gave you the option of a manual transmission if you still wanted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Porsche guys ARE NOT all family. They are way worse, trust me.

I was never outraged when the SMG and DCT came out as anyone who actually understand Motorsport saw the F1 connection. Europeans never had a problem with it which is why they never demanded a manual box in the M5/M6 like people in the US who are oblivious. Those gearboxes you mentioned are the ones you want on the Road Course where every tenth and consistency matters. Plus, BMW gave you the option of a manual transmission if you still wanted.
    im not debating the quality of these gear boxes i love mine but you and i both know that the purist had a huge problem with it especially at first

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Famous race courses? The Top Gear test track is a famous roadcourse?
    Uhhh, yes it is nowadays (believe it or not)! No its not on the competitive circuit, but most if not ALL of us on this board know it very well.
    Also, so is Hockenheim - another road course where 1M bested the M3.
    I'm not sayin the 1M is better all around than the M3, but bang for the buck it sure is a phenomenal car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    im not debating the quality of these gear boxes i love mine but you and i both know that the purist had a huge problem with it especially at first
    I didn't? Many others didn't. The manual was always an option so it wasn't even a problem. Why is it that Europeans had no problem with the SMG only M5?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DubSport Click here to enlarge
    Uhhh, yes it is nowadays (believe it or not)! No its not on the competitive circuit, but most if not ALL of us on this board know it very well.
    Also, so is Hockenheim - another road course where 1M bested the M3.
    I'm not sayin the 1M is better all around than the M3, but bang for the buck it sure is a phenomenal car.
    You are seriously trying to tell me the Top Gear test track is a famous road course? It isn't even a legitimate circuit, lol, come on. There are real road courses with real histories and then ones created for television.

Yes, yes, Hockenheim a tight course but you ignore Contidrom where the M3 beat it: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...and-E92-M3-DCT

I'm not saying the 1M is a bad car, it's nice, just not a real M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Not all, but the point is BMW has diluted what the Motorsport division means. They used to take pride in their motors and their cars. They used to refuse making SVU's. They were M and not everybody else. Now, they have become AMG.

So, I'm disappointed. That doesn't mean it is a bad car. Great car, just not a great M.
    I guess most of the M customers don't see it like that. For BMW, M is mostly about marketing and cash flows and for most of the customers M being a better car than non-M is good enough. They don't even know what N54 means as it is not talked about in the brochures.

I fully understand your own view though and believe there are many others that think the same. However, BMW would not go ahead and save in the development costs if your view would represent the majority of M customers.

There is nothing wrong in using existing parts if the outcome is great. Only the purists care. And indeed the brand value is diluted in their eyes. However, there are people who don't care about the brand value, but getting good cars for ok value.

Especially taking the suspension and brakes from M3 should be quite ok, since there is nothing wrong in M3 and 3 is a bigger number than 1.... We are splitting hairs here anyways. Is it ok to build M6 taking existing suspension and engine from M5? Why can't 1M use M3 parts then?

Building a new engine for 1M could have been done, but business wise it did not make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I guess most of the M customers don't see it like that. For BMW, M is mostly about marketing and cash flows and for most of the customers M being a better car than non-M is good enough. They don't even know what N54 means as it is not talked about in the brochures.
    Very true, but BMW does know what it means and they always took insane pride in their M cars. They were fanatical with them really, always wanting to keep them "pure" and motorsport inspired. Now it is cash flow... it sucks.

I fully understand your own view though and believe there are many others that think the same. However, BMW would not go ahead and save in the development costs if your view would represent the majority of M customers.
    I have my view and some agree while some do not. BMW could have put the S65 in it. If they did... I mean damn, NICE. Wouldn't cost them any additional development cost as the motor has been developed for a while now. They just took the cheap / shortcut way out.

There is nothing wrong in using existing parts if the outcome is great. Only the purists care. And indeed the brand value is diluted in their eyes. However, there are people who don't care about the brand value, but getting good cars for ok value.
    Nobody really seems to care anymore, not even BMW themselves.

Especially taking the suspension and brakes from M3 should be quite ok, since there is nothing wrong in M3 and 3 is a bigger number than 1.... We are splitting hairs here anyways. Is it ok to build M6 taking existing suspension and engine from M5? Why can't 1M use M3 parts then?
    The 1M can use M3 parts, but they missed the soul. Give it an S85 for all I care but give it a motor that was designed as an M motor. The N54 was never M caliber to begin with or else why did they use the S65 in the M3? There are several reasons for the V8 and they all link to motorsport or M development. There is nothing like that for the N54 or any precedent for it.

Building a new engine for 1M could have been done, but business wise it did not make sense.
    And how long until it no longer makes sense to build any M specific motors at all? How long until they are all the same motor with different tunes? All under the guise of "cost" while BMW makes more money yet the cars still cost the same?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I thought you were the one saying what matters is how the cars drives not how it looks or the badge? Who cares about the bodywork? The M3 bits can be transferred over and actually you can get better suspension and diff components in the aftermarket.

You can't just put new suspension, a diff, and a slightly difference tune on a 335 and call it an M3.
    +1
    Putting better suspension and brakes on 335i than M3 and tuning the thing to 600whp does indeed make 335 quicker, but it does not make it M. I would never put the M badge on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Developing a new M engine for 1M would have been nice indeed. But then everything new and great is nice if you don't need to care about the cost... And 1M is a great car anyways.

N54 is five years old already, I'm sure they could have bested it by some margin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

N54 is five years old already, I'm sure they could have bested it by some margin.
    Absolutely but they chose not to and this I have problem with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Absolutely but they chose not to and this I have problem with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The M division probably did this since the 1M was only going to be a 1 year limited sale. Which makes sense on cutting corners.
    But if they keep on taking this route with their flagship M cars, then there is something wrong. The M division has always put performance over money. But it's looking that the M division is going the route of AMG and RS, which I think is going to take way their superiority.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Jeremy Clarkson reviews the 1M and thinks it is perfect, but is it?

BimmerBoost forum members seem to think this Clarkson review is a big deal so we decided to put it up on the front page despite what seems like the millionth article on the 1M. Clarkson is controversial and we often disagree with him. This case is no different as we disagree with him calling the car perfect. To his credit he does mention the 1M is essentially a parts bin M car, which it is, making it far from perfect. Watch the review and come to your own conclusion.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Those of you who wanted this on the front page win as I couldn't find any other article to put up for today... grr.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Lol, Sticky. I can't sense your hatred for this car at all.Click here to enlarge
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

YES, the forum wins Click here to enlarge
    Due to lack of other news...Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I have some news if you want to put in the front page.

Shila, my secretary, she is going to marry Peyman's brother.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Pictures of Shila?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I have some news if you want to put in the front page.
    It's ok, I found something more interesting that also balances this Clarkson love fest out: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...513#post165513

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Pictures of Shila?
    I don't have, gotta take some because she's hot Click here to enlarge

Time for another single secretary, this one is married Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast