Close

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    5th Gear: McLaren MP4-12C vs Ferrari 458

    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    In case you dont watch McLaren was .1 second slower than the 458 around their track. They also didnt like it as much, said its not as fun, swerves and is nervous under braking, although they say it brakes faster/shorter than the ferrari. They say it is harder to control, its sketchy at the limit and Jason spins out, saying "I dont know the last time I spun a car was!"
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    In case you dont watch McLaren was .1 second slower than the 458 around their track. They also didnt like it as much, said its not as fun, swerves and is nervous under braking, although they say it brakes faster/shorter than the ferrari. They say it is harder to control, its sketchy at the limit and Jason spins out, saying "I dont know the last time I spun a car was!"
    I'm really surprised honestly. The McLaren was supposed to be the Ferrari killer and it really isn't even its equal. The car is somewhat of a disappointment.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm really surprised honestly. The McLaren was supposed to be the Ferrari killer and it really isn't even its equal. The car is somewhat of a disappointment.
    Yeah, thats what everyone seems to be saying. How McLaren said it was going to Beat everything and be the best, but so far all the reviewers dont seem to like it so much and the lap times have been slower than its main opponents.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, thats what everyone seems to be saying. How McLaren said it was going to Beat everything and be the best, but so far all the reviewers dont seem to like it so much and the lap times have been slower than its main opponents.
    The 458 beating it with a naturally aspirated motor speaks volumes. Is the 458 heavier as well?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The 458 beating it with a naturally aspirated motor speaks volumes. Is the 458 heavier as well?
    McLaren is under 3000, 458 is over 3300...should be around 350 lb difference
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mildenhall, UK
    Posts
    749
    Rep Points
    681.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    That sucks because the original Mclaren F1 was a great piece of engineering.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,653
    Rep Points
    -257.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ that's because Murray was a genius plus in 80's McLaren was filled with superb engineers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    That sucks because the original Mclaren F1 was a great piece of engineering.
    Not just great, superior and unrivaled.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    They cannot reproduce the same persona that the McLaren F1 did back in the 90s, those days are over. They have to come out with time travel if they want to impress us the same way.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    They cannot reproduce the same persona that the McLaren F1 did back in the 90s, those days are over. They have to come out with time travel if they want to impress us the same way.
    Very true, and this is why the McLaren F1 will always be special.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    McLaren F1 slingshot us into the 21st centuries supercar generation. For a car to have the same impact that it had, it needs to do some serious $#@!. 7 and 8 speed DCTs and $#@! are regular $#@! nowadays and so is going 200 mph in an AWD lambo with 600 HP. They need to come out with something truly special if they want to meet the bar they hit in 1994.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    McLaren F1 slingshot us into the 21st centuries supercar generation. For a car to have the same impact that it had, it needs to do some serious $#@!. 7 and 8 speed DCTs and $#@! are regular $#@! nowadays and so is going 200 mph in an AWD lambo with 600 HP. They need to come out with something truly special if they want to meet the bar they hit in 1994.
    Do not disagree. The F1 took the bar and raised it so high nothing else will shock and awe the way it did.

    Maybe if Gordon Murray ever finds his balls another proper supercar can be made.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do not disagree. The F1 took the bar and raised it so high nothing else will shock and awe the way it did.

    Maybe if Gordon Murray ever finds his balls another proper supercar can be made.
    its going to be hard, i hear he is going to make eco cars and $#@!.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,163
    Rep Points
    31,308.2
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    its going to be hard, i hear he is going to make eco cars and $#@!.
    This: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-SLR-With-this

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •