Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Looks like I might have been wrong - but am still wondering how the displacement stayed the same: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/22/bm...-of-the-beast/
    Isn't the bore and stroke the same?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Isn't the bore and stroke the same?
    Right - it is. Looks like only the crown changed then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Right - it is. Looks like only the crown changed then?
    I'm looking at all differences and the heads obviously due to valvetronic and the pistons. I do not know what else? Oh, the turbos are different and the manifold is more efficient as well I believe.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'm looking at all differences and the heads obviously due to valvetronic and the pistons. I do not know what else? Oh, the turbos are different and the manifold is more efficient as well I believe.
    Yeah, this looks right. I am killing myself trying to find this post (who knows if it is real) that says they (s63 and tu) do not share the same rods... Again, could be wrong. Click here to enlarge

I am still not understanding this though, and would love for a mech-e to chime in on this. If displacement is the same, wouldn't adding a crown change this displacement? I guess I am just not sure if changing the "advertised" displacement changes the actual.

I honestly am confused at this point, not sure... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Yeah, this looks right. I am killing myself trying to find this post (who knows if it is real) that says they (s63 and tu) do not share the same rods... Again, could be wrong. Click here to enlarge

I am still not understanding this though, and would love for a mech-e to chime in on this. If displacement is the same, wouldn't adding a crown change this displacement? I guess I am just not sure if changing the "advertised" displacement changes the actual.

I honestly am confused at this point, not sure... Click here to enlarge
    Ask one of the engine builders, @activ3 @A4RingedONE8T @Mike@VAC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Ask one of the engine builders, @activ3 @A4RingedONE8T @Mike@VAC
    Thanks - that's appreciated.

The above should read: If boreXstroke is the same, wouldn't adding a crown change the displacement?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

No, that only effects the CR i believe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes it should change but I'd imagine the difference would be minimal. I saw a good drop in CR when we cut valve reliefs into a set of pistons but I'd guess the change in displacement was inconsequential.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Didn't read the whole thread but yes of course adding a dome, crown, valve relief, etc. to a piston will change the displacement, but you're talking about very minimal CC's, if I had to guess somewhere between 10-20, practically negligible, especially when referencing a boosted motor. Altering the top of the piston can have some noticeable affects though, not including displacement change, but proneness to knock, spark blow out, etc. Just because you can machine a piston doesn't mean you understand the movement of the combustion inside the specific chamber of that application

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

its starting to grow on me. but like others have mentioned... how to fit bigger snails?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    Didn't read the whole thread but yes of course adding a dome, crown, valve relief, etc. to a piston will change the displacement, but you're talking about very minimal CC's, if I had to guess somewhere between 10-20, practically negligible, especially when referencing a boosted motor. Altering the top of the piston can have some noticeable affects though, not including displacement change, but proneness to knock, spark blow out, etc. Just because you can machine a piston doesn't mean you understand the movement of the combustion inside the specific chamber of that application
    Thanks, so basically the displacement amount changed is practically irrelevant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    its starting to grow on me. but like others have mentioned... how to fit bigger snails?
    Hardware wise bigger snails can be fit, the question becomes tuning, fuel, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

This is what I'm thinking, how are they going to add more boost? Did BMW just take the aftermarket out of it?

There has to be SOME room in there, no doubt. But, with 10.0:1 and 22 psi stock... damn.

I wonder if the N63 and S63tu pistons are the same thing. That means S63tu rods may be a popular N63 upgrade...
    EVOLVE already had a M5 come in so we'll see what they have to say.... Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    EVOLVE already had a M5 come in so we'll see what they have to say.... Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward to seeing what Evolve does with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123