Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Why would you go to the drag strip without the right tires? Anyone who is serious about modifying these cars shouldn't have a problem spending 1k for drag wheels and tires to be able to utilize that power. As you said for highway runs it's no problem.
    You aren't always trying to put the power down just on the drag strip. What about in a low speed turn (AWD would be great) or from a stop on the street?

I have no problem spending money for a drag setup (which I have) but the point still is that AWD offers numerous traction advantages in the real world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why would I be mashing the gas on a low speed turn? And as I've heard you preach on this forum before racing is for the track. I've driven monster torque domestics on the street and wasn't spinning the wheels everytime I took off or made a turn lol. If anyone boost power on this car to the point where they need awd on the street to keep traction their tuner screwed them IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why would I be mashing the gas on a low speed turn? And as I've heard you preach on this forum before racing is for the track. I've driven monster torque domestics on the street and wasn't spinning the wheels everytime I took off or made a turn lol. If anyone boost power on this car to the point where they need awd on the street to keep traction their tuner screwed them IMO.
    I'm not even talking about racing necessarily. I could be taking a turn and want to get on the gas but in a RWD car with big power you have to wait.

For example even with just bolt on's I came across a GTR once that wanted to play. He was in front of me and took the right hand turn but was able to stay on the power. I wasn't and by the time I got on it he was gone. Didn't even have to break the speedlimit to leave me in the dust because I couldn't apply the throttle as quickly.

It isn't even a matter of how much you boost the power but just RWD in general. It also is very hard to put the power down from a stop on street tires. You may not necessarily be racing high speed but just want to pass someone quickly but from a stop that is rather difficult if your tires just light up.

If you can't see the practical application of AWD in these scenarios I'm not sure what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The peak boost might not mean anything. They might peak it early and bleed it out higher up the rev range. The 0-200 of 13second just isn't impressive and equates to the power output they have announced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The peak boost might not mean anything. They might peak it early and bleed it out higher up the rev range. The 0-200 of 13second just isn't impressive and equates to the power output they have announced.
    I rarely if ever go by BMW provided performance figures.

This car will be fast, very fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I rarely if ever go by BMW provided performance figures.

This car will be fast, very fast.
    What I am praying is that the X5/6M motor is not the N54 and this is the N55 when it comes to mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    What I am praying is that the X5/6M motor is not the N54 and this is the N55 when it comes to mods.
    ? The N54 is the better mod platform for now .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ? The N54 is the better mod platform for now .
    Sure, by the time the N55 catches up there will be a turbo M3 so it won't make a diff to most.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You aren't always trying to put the power down just on the drag strip. What about in a low speed turn (AWD would be great) or from a stop on the street?

I have no problem spending money for a drag setup (which I have) but the point still is that AWD offers numerous traction advantages in the real world.
    not everyone lives in the desert or so cal.

did you see the vid of that 335xi on n54tech that busted a 3.8 0-60 in the rain? http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12517

the first 335xi with 500whp is going to be a trip if the awd can hold together.

The F10 M5 awd done well could be sick if bmw builds it right and it isnt 4500lbs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    The F10 M5 awd done well could be sick if bmw builds it right and it isnt 4500lbs.
    Certainly has potential but the AWD BMW's are getting insanely heavy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Of course they are sandbagging. This thing is heavy, considering the 550i weighs in at 4,370 curb weight. The new M5 needs that extra power to run with the other big boys in the segment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Not looking good.........

550i - 4,376 lbs

550xi - 4,519 lbs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Not looking good.........

550i - 4,376 lbs

550xi - 4,519 lbs
    So then an AWD M5 will be what, 4600+?

Things are bad when Audi's are looking light.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure certain steps were taken to lighten it and I would hope it to weigh what the 550xi weighs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure certain steps were taken to lighten it and I would hope it to weigh what the 550xi weighs.
    M's usually weigh more than their counterparts.

I'm thinking if the weight was impressive BMW would have told us already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M5 gets special lightweight parts compared to 550i. However, the power is disappointing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    M5 gets special lightweight parts compared to 550i. However, the power is disappointing.
    The power is disappointing? How so?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK, one thing bothers me here. Does this 22psi pressure include atmosphere pressure? or it's just "boost"?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have you seen the picture of the S63 disassembled? I wouldnt exactly describe the rods as "beefy" lol still probably good for 800hp at least. BMW jacks up the price on their stuff enough that you could probably get a custom set from Carrillo for about the same cost.
    The S63tu comes with different con rods than the S63. Are the S63 rods weak because of material or size? Curious why they are considered to be weak (S63 or S63tu)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    OK, one thing bothers me here. Does this 22psi pressure include atmosphere pressure? or it's just "boost"?
    Just boost (absolute) - which is nuts: 1.5 bar is 21.75 psi ... Grabbed this from the press release:
    Maximum Boost Pressure (absolute) 1.5 bar (s63tu) 1.2 bar (s63)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. Then this means this 22psi boost appears at very low rpm's and then decreases. Wondering if BMW did this to improve the torque curve or it's just the turbos that go out of breath in higher rpm's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    The S63tu comes with different con rods than the S63. Are the S63 rods weak because of material or size? Curious why they are considered to be weak (S63 or S63tu)
    How do you know the S63tu conrods are different?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How do you know the S63tu conrods are different?
    I read it somewhere, but cannot find up a verifiable link besides a post on a forum.

If they crowned the piston, displacement would decrease. If they shaved the head, same thing. It's the only thing that makes sense to me if two engines of the exact same displacement have two different static compression ratios. Could be wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I read it somewhere, but cannot find up a verifiable link besides a post on a forum.

If they crowned the piston, displacement would decrease. If they shaved the head, same thing. It's the only thing that makes sense to me if two engines of the exact same displacement have two different static compression ratios. Could be wrong.
    I never saw anything regarding the rods, these are the differences I know: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...nd-valvetronic

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I never saw anything regarding the rods, these are the differences I know: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...nd-valvetronic
    Looks like I might have been wrong - but am still wondering how the displacement stayed the same: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/22/bm...-of-the-beast/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast