Close

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Just for kicks, re-enable misfire detection now and see if it still happens Click here to enlarge
    Definitely, only way to tell

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Did you ever pin point what was causing your misfire for sure?

My car is doing the same things you describe. I get a cyl6 misfire no matter what above 6,000 rpm. It doesn't do it in 1st or 2nd gear.

Thinks done thus far
    1. Swapped coils
    2. New plugs
    3. New injector and recoded
    4. Disconnected piggy and still happens
    5. Cleared adaptations
    6. Walnutshell blasted intake valves so clean u could eat off them
    7. Replace o2 sensors
    8. Changed load threshold through ECU flash which raised rpm a few hundred more before misfiring.
    9. Swapped o2 sensor plugs only without changing banks just to see what would happen, the car ran perfect all the way to redline several pulls through every gear to 160mph... Changed the plugs back to the way they should be and the misfire is back. Switched the plugs again and reset adaptations with GT1 and the car ran like total ass and would barely idle.
    10. Checked DME and everything was fine (MSD80)
    11. Compression test revealed all cylinder were 185 or a little above.

At this point I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about pulling the valve cover to check the rectaring that you have talked about. Was the rectaring really the culprit in you case?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i still have this happening and its at the expensive parts to replace without knowing exactly what is wrong

im at the point its either rectarings or the dme and neither are cheap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tmo335tt Click here to enlarge

My car is doing the same things you describe. I get a cyl6 misfire no matter what above 6,000 rpm. It doesn't do it in 1st or 2nd gear.

Thinks done thus far
    1. Swapped coils
    2. New plugs
    5. Cleared adaptations
    7. Replace o2 sensors
    8. Changed load threshold through ECU flash which raised rpm a few hundred more before misfiring.
    9. Swapped o2 sensor plugs only without changing banks just to see what would happen, the car ran perfect all the way to redline several pulls through every gear to 160mph... Changed the plugs back to the way they should be and the misfire is back. Switched the plugs again and reset adaptations with GT1 and the car ran like total ass and would barely idle.

At this point I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about pulling the valve cover to check the rectaring that you have talked about. Was the rectaring really the culprit in you case?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by saxon Click here to enlarge
    i still have this happening and its at the expensive parts to replace without knowing exactly what is wrong

im at the point its either rectarings or the dme and neither are cheap
    Fellas. I also had a strange misfire in my N54's past and thankfully, luckily, it was not something internal or difficult to fix. What is was though was tough to find! It would always misfire above 6k and usually under higher load (not the first two gears). We first though it was injectors, coils, DME, etc, just like everyone. It turned out to be a little metal clip that holds in two injectors (each). This clip was not tightened/fitted properly so when the engine torqued under load, one of the injectors would not torque with the engine and rest of the injectors and the car would throw a misfire. Really, it was only found out because we couldn't figure out what was the cause. We tried everything, similar to DZ and tmo335tt.

So I suggest, before you spend more money diagnosing/fixing, is to pop your plastic engine cover off and take a look at the metal injector clips. See if they're tightened to spec. If they are unfortunately you will have a longer road ahead of you, hopefully it'll be something now known thanks to DZ, like that ring on the cam.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

That rectangring failure wasn't the cause of the misfire and it is still there past 6k rpm. Saga continues lol Boy am I glad to have that little nifty feature to turn off that pesky misfire detection Click here to enlarge

Other than that the car is running VERY strong, actually stronger than ever Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    That rectangring failure wasn't the cause of the misfire and it is still there past 6k rpm. Saga continues lol Boy am I glad to have that little nifty feature to turn off that pesky misfire detection Click here to enlarge

Other than that the car is running VERY strong, actually stronger than ever Click here to enlarge

so when is the upgraded tmap going in? Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    It turned out to be a little metal clip that holds in two injectors (each).
    Any pics??
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Thinks done thus far
    1. Swapped coils
    2. New plugs
    5. Cleared adaptations
    7. Replace o2 sensors

I had a similar issue that turned out to be the injector centering clip as well. Fin dealer forgot to reinstall it. But if you did the injectors yourself I doubt that it is. It's hard to miss. Like D said one option is to just turn off misfire detection on bank 2. There is some risk there but if it's a hardware problem anyway you'll have to open stuff up eventually.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    so when is the upgraded tmap going in? Click here to enlarge
    Already in. Check the cylinder head thread Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Any pics??
    Think he means nr. 6 here, be carefull overtighten it since i broke that bolt...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

^ Thank you enrita, I was just about to bring up getBMWparts and reply to Tom lol.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I had a similar issue that turned out to be the injector centering clip as well.
    Which # in the RealOEM-drawing is it?
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

#10.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Ok. Is it possible to see it from above?
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I don't remember. But it's easy to pull the injector and check it. If you can code yourself you could swap it over with another one, or just find one with a close flow rating and swap it for kicks. There is a write up somewhere that explains what the numbers stamped on the injectors mean.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Ok. Is it possible to see it from above?
    you have to pull the injector. best would be to order 4xrings (10)/orings (9) and swap 5-6 with 1-2. i managed so you wont have any issues. i can code them for you.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I've already swapped my injectors around and the misfire stays on cyl6 and 4 and I've had it also show up on 5 few times now, the misfire is always on bank 2 and it does not misfire for a little while if I reset adaptations.

Could my DSC or wheel speed sensor be causing the bank 2 misfire? My ribbon inside the slipring for the steering wheel is damaged and as a result my dsc faults are all present.

(If you ever disconnect your steering linkage to drop the front sub frame, lock your car and make sure that no one can get inside, one of my A hole friends got inside my car and turned the steering wheel which somehow made the ribbon un-spool and lucky me felt the ribbon break when I pulled the car out of the shop)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I've already swapped my injectors around and the misfire stays on cyl6 and 4 and I've had it also show up on 5 few times now, the misfire is always on bank 2 and it does not misfire for a little while if I reset adaptations.

Could my DSC or wheel speed sensor be causing the bank 2 misfire? My ribbon inside the slipring for the steering wheel is damaged and as a result my dsc faults are all present.

(If you ever disconnect your steering linkage to drop the front sub frame, lock your car and make sure that no one can get inside, one of my A hole friends got inside my car and turned the steering wheel which somehow made the ribbon un-spool and lucky me felt the ribbon break when I pulled the car out of the shop)
    It can very well be the wheel speed sensor especially if you have the DSC faults. I think I saw them on my car as well (not as general codes but codes in another module). I wonder if it really is that. I read on some earlier BMW models the wheel speed sensors used to cause misfire codes to pop up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Wow thanks for the quick response...I have another 335 that I might go highjack the slipring out of just to test it out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

ribbon inside the slipring for the steering wheel
    Where/what is this exactly? Have a pic or diagram from realoem.com?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I couldn't find it on realoem, but here is a pic that I found on google. There is a ribbon inside the plastic housing surrounding the steering wheel spline.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Man Trev, I hope you can pinpoint the issue soon. This would have pushed me over the edge already. Good luck man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Its pushing me to the edge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I couldn't find it on realoem, but here is a pic that I found on google. There is a ribbon inside the plastic housing surrounding the steering wheel spline.
    Oh there? Hmmmmm not sure on that one though. I was thinking the wheel speed sensors themselves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    you have to pull the injector. best would be to order 4xrings (10)/orings (9) and swap 5-6 with 1-2. i managed so you wont have any issues. i can code them for you.
    Enrita.....how did you replace the rubber o-rings?

I thought you needed a special tool to do that.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast