Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPTIMA Battery

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

OPTIMA Battery

Hey guys my first post, yet my car is still doing the TRANSATLANTIC vogage then leaving to Puerto Rico later on.

Question is has ANYONE here in the Bimmerboost forum added an OPTIMA battery to their 335/335d? and if so which is the part number since OPTIMA Batteries do not have BMW listed on their site,

My old 02 MCS and my Minivan had/has one and believe you me I swear by them, the Mini had 5 yrs on it before I sold it. Please help me on this. Gracias!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump, anyone have experience with these batteries?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    doesn't matter. You can use the yellow or red top, just needs to fit in the compartment. but there isnt a specific battery.
    whats the difference between a ginger and a shoe.........shoes have soles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure which battery, but you'll have to get the new battery programmed in the ECU. I'm not sure if you can do it on your own or take it to a dealership.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    Not sure which battery, but you'll have to get the new battery programmed in the ECU. I'm not sure if you can do it on your own or take it to a dealership.
    Why would you have to get the new battery programmed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why would you have to get the new battery programmed?
    Yea that's what I want to know. You can just drop them in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember reading that you have to get the battery registered to the car to prevent error codes and also so the battery control module can know what kind of battery you have and how to properly charge it.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember reading that you have to get the battery registered to the car to prevent error codes and also so the battery control module can know what kind of battery you have and how to properly charge it.
    Really? I'm not sure if thats the case because you can jsut drop in the Macht Schnell (SP?) battery and be fine with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ScrotieMcBoogerBalls Click here to enlarge
    Really? I'm not sure if thats the case because you can jsut drop in the Macht Schnell (SP?) battery and be fine with it.
    Most battery places can do the registration now adays. BMW just advices not to do the install yourself. Here's a quote from E90post
    I could have posted this to the latest battery registration debate thread but I thought it'd get lost among all the pages and would be useless to future searchers. I thought it was important so I'm starting a new thread.

I just came back from the dealership where they ran a full diagnostic check for errors in the my car (I have a grabby brake issue that still has yet to be resolved). Two weeks ago, I replaced my oem battery w/ an autozone battery and i decided not to register it. In my research, I didn't find any evidence that it was worthwhile to pay $100 for registering a battery and everything I found on the forum was conjecture. Even my SA said it wasn't really necessary for a 3 series (though the 5 and 7 series have heavier electronics so it's necessary for them, he said).

In the latest battery debate thread, I argued pretty strongly that registration is a fool's expense. After seeing my diagnostic report, I'm inserting my foot in my mouth. The report was riddled with low voltage errors on several different components due to the non-registration. They registered it and the errors disappeared. Even better, the car actually feels better (could be the placebo effect but it just feels peppier).

So that seems like pretty strong evidence that registration is worthwhile. It's worth $100 to ensure voltage is correct. By the way, the use of a lead acid battery isn't an issue. The AGM battery is good if you're worried about venting.

Now I just have to figure out this damn grabby brake...
    The registration can be done by a BT scan tool or a GT1
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Most battery places can do the registration now adays. BMW just advices not to do the install yourself. Here's a quote from E90post

The registration can be done by a BT scan tool or a GT1
    Thanks for the advice.
    Learn something new everyday. LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ScrotieMcBoogerBalls Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the advice.
    Learn something new everyday. LOL.
    No worries man, Just trying to help out.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No worries man, Just trying to help out.
    I never knew. Thanks for the info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

just called a friend of mines whom happens to be one of the Trained and Authorized Mini Mechanic here in Puerto Rico and to ask his fellow BMW mechanics and find out if this is an issue with the 335d or any 3 Series. I will keep you guys posted ok.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you just have to let the charging system know there is a fresh new battery mounted. I believe you can do this with the Procede too. Just do a battery adaptation reset.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Amigos, as I said yesterday I finally spoke to my friend. He comfirmed to me that all 07 BMW and Mini whenever you decide to change batteries other than OEM you have to register them , because 1) Something about the JBE 2) Power Module, the OEM battery is set to work with the programming of the vehicle and is designed to match etc etc with all components i.e. charge systems alternator whatever. Since, Im planning to add an OPTIMA they have to register it. In my case he will see my car in the lot before me and his best friend will be working on my car to get it ready for me. Wooohoo!! I asked him if they could do me the favor and he said SURE!! SO now what I need is the battery dimensions so that I can get the closest OPTIMA battery(Size) for my car and have it ready when it arrives in TWO WEEKS woohoo!!

BTW, he stated that ALL aftermarket batteries have to be registered with ALL 07 BMW and Mini vehicles, sorry to bust anyone's bubble. Adios my friend I'll be posting photos when it gets here ok Ciao

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    Amigos, as I said yesterday I finally spoke to my friend. He comfirmed to me that all 07 BMW and Mini whenever you decide to change batteries other than OEM you have to register them , because 1) Something about the JBE 2) Power Module, the OEM battery is set to work with the programming of the vehicle and is designed to match etc etc with all components i.e. charge systems alternator whatever. Since, Im planning to add an OPTIMA they have to register it. In my case he will see my car in the lot before me and his best friend will be working on my car to get it ready for me. Wooohoo!! I asked him if they could do me the favor and he said SURE!! SO now what I need is the battery dimensions so that I can get the closest OPTIMA battery(Size) for my car and have it ready when it arrives in TWO WEEKS woohoo!!

BTW, he stated that ALL aftermarket batteries have to be registered with ALL 07 BMW and Mini vehicles, sorry to bust anyone's bubble. Adios my friend I'll be posting photos when it gets here ok Ciao
    Well thanks for the info, never even knew about this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I decided yesterday to get the dimensions from where else than BMW Service Center I explained to the JACKASS service rep and he obliged but before he left he said outloud thaqt this could void my warranty to get verification thru the Service center, that's when the fun began, I told him that Magnuson-Moss Act which states that I can buy and install any product that is equal or exceeds the OEM part of course the knucklehead didnot know what I was talking about, I then informed the customer waiting what is was about and many were perplexed because they were informed to never buy anything else than BMW OEM parts. He came back and gave the dimensions by then I was a bit mad at him he gave the measurements of 14" high by 17" long . I said to myself hell no thats are large baterry I proceeded to check that size battery at the local OPTIMA center on the Army base and my friend told damn that is a large battery he couldnt believe the size of it, but then I realized the JACKASS forgot to give me another measurement its supposed to be a 3 dimensional measurements DUH!!

Here are some links to read:

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/...rranty-act.php
    http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    I decided yesterday to get the dimensions from where else than BMW Service Center I explained to the JACKASS service rep and he obliged but before he left he said outloud thaqt this could void my warranty to get verification thru the Service center, that's when the fun began, I told him that Magnuson-Moss Act which states that I can buy and install any product that is equal or exceeds the OEM part of course the knucklehead didnot know what I was talking about, I then informed the customer waiting what is was about and many were perplexed because they were informed to never buy anything else than BMW OEM parts. He came back and gave the dimensions by then I was a bit mad at him he gave the measurements of 14" high by 17" long . I said to myself hell no thats are large baterry I proceeded to check that size battery at the local OPTIMA center on the Army base and my friend told damn that is a large battery he couldnt believe the size of it, but then I realized the JACKASS forgot to give me another measurement its supposed to be a 3 dimensional measurements DUH!!

Here are some links to read:

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/...rranty-act.php
    I did not realize the Magnuson-Moss Act applied in Puerto Rico, that is cool!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard of this act before, but never thought about it till now. With the stories (true or not) of BMWNA voiding people's car warranties because of mods. Can BMWNA really do that or can people tell them $#@! you, you can't because of the Magnuson-Moss Act.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do not think installing a meth kit, DPs, a JB4 or equal through the eyes of BMW will count as buy and install any product that is equal or exceeds the OEM part Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I do not think installing a meth kit, DPs, a JB4 or equal through the eyes of BMW will count as buy and install any product that is equal or exceeds the OEM part Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, the addon performance parts I see, but I meant when you replace the factory parts with aftermarket, like the FMIC, oil cooler, and so on.
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can not imagine they would complain if I replaced the orig. FMIC with an aftermarket one.
    Actually, that is the first on my list of additional performance mods...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amigos let me be CLEAR to you, you can ONLY change certain OEM parts i.e Battery, Lights, AIr filter minor stuff including OIL which would be the authorized grade either regular DINOSAUR oil or synthetic. You CANNOT change ECU configurations, Supercharger Pulleys or turbos

@ STICKY, In Puerto Rico being it aCOMMONWEALTH of the USA we have certain laws that diifer from the mainland and they main law is called IGNORANCE. LOL I'll pull an OKIDOK on these guys since its a federal law. We' ll see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard of this act before, but never thought about it till now. With the stories (true or not) of BMWNA voiding people's car warranties because of mods. Can BMWNA really do that or can people tell them $#@! you, you can't because of the Magnuson-Moss Act.
    It just depends how far you want to take it. Battling with BMW in court is tough.

I was fortunate that BMW and I came to a nice resolution when I had a bent valve and I mentioned the Magnuson-Moss act although they didn't really seem to care about it all that much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amigos let me be CLEAR to you, you can ONLY change certain OEM parts i.e Battery, Lights, AIr filter minor stuff including OIL which would be the authorized grade either regular DINOSAUR oil or synthetic. You CANNOT change ECU configurations, Supercharger Pulleys or turbos

@ STICKY, In Puerto Rico being it aCOMMONWEALTH of the USA we have certain laws that diifer from the mainland and they main law is called IGNORANCE. LOL I'll pull an OKIDOK on these guys since its a federal law. We' ll see what happens.
    How is Puerto Rico for partying btw? I think I'm going to make my way out there next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast